1% BATTERY LEFT

Hi all
I have been following this gent on YouTube since he got his Mg5 SR he was one of the reasons I bought my car because of his down to earth review
He is a taxi driver and got home from an airport run with 1% battery remaining WOW
CHECK OUT HIS YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MG5 ev owner review

Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Likewise have followed him for a while, and he has given me a lot of confidence in the MG5, taking delivery of my LR on Monday, can’t wait.

Exclusive has a heated steering wheel?
News to me!

The difference with an ICE quarter tank will normally go 100 miles and the GOM is pretty accurate.
I keep detailed records of usage for my ZS EV and the GOM is incredibly accurate for us. I reset the accumulated after every charge. The GOM matches almost kilometer for kilometer our actual usage, with minor variances, and that includes A/C and other device usages. At the top of the charge, we use slightly less than the predicted kilometers, and on the lower-end % slightly more (by that I mean 0.6, 0.9, that sort of difference). Overall, it evens out and is an excellent indicator of the actual remaining range.

Houston Scotland😀 Just north of Glasgow
Interestingly if you hover over and click on your location (Houston) in your ID to the left of the post it opens up Google maps in Houston USA, which was the main reason I commented. :)

I find the GOM incredibly inaccurate - it seems to just take the notional range and multiply it by the % with some very minor and inexplicable adjustments (?mode, ?temp) but not take into account actual driving conditions.

On a drive from Bedfordshire to Cornwall yesterday (which we've done before a few times starting full and with one charge en-route at about 15-20% up to 90%) we were in panic mode twice.

The first half daytime but wet and gloomy, very little mway, we were at 5% with 5 miles to go so hit the rapid charge point briefly before getting to daughter's house instead of waiting until after as usual. On the second half, leaving after dark and mostly mway, only 123miles to go we charged up to 85% before leaving which should have been ample; 30% left at Exeter which I knew would be tight (although GOM said about 25 miles to spare), by okehampton we were at 13% with 23 miles to go and the last charge point before home (and a blooming GeniePoint as well which as always gave a few problems). GOM said 35miles available. Got it back to 23% to be safe and arrived home with 9% left so we wouldn't have made it - especially since as others have noted it drops faster nearer the end.
Mway driving was 60 in cruise when flat, and less than that when going up hills. All in E mode. From about half way I dropped the speed and at Exeter the aircon went off (it was on 18deg and 6 deg outside) and speed down to 50 on flat, a bit more downhill so long as consumption less than 20% on the rh dial.
Overall the 258 mile trip showed 3.2miles/kWh.

I think better than the GOM is to use mental arithmetic or have the passenger use a phone calculator.

Method to calculate a better GOM.
Notional battery capacity N = 50kWh (57kWh for LR) (adjust this down with experience and as the car ages - probably 20% down after 10 years.)
Current state of charge C %
Then notional capacity remaining L = N * C / 100 kWh
Current trip miles/kWh = M
So notional range left R = M * L miles
Allow 10 miles (or whatever) for safety
Must charge within (M * N * C / 100) - 10

This would have told me that I had only 20.8 miles left until totally flat at Okehampton with 23 miles to go when the GOM said 35, and the calculation would show 48 miles till totally out at exeter when GOM said 72 and we had 42 miles to go, but I know that the A30 round dartmoor is pretty hilly so 6 miles spare would not be enough.

Moral - never trust the GOM if you are going below 20%, and especially not if you are not getting 4.0 miles/kWh on the current trip.

I learnt from day 1 that you drive on the % and miles per kw!

Sunday I drove to South Wales, 84 miles each way and I needed to exceed 3.0 miles per kw to make it there & back without a charge. MG5 LR.

It was scary at first, heating up car & uphill at 2.0 miles per kw but I got there on 55% after things improved, car warm and downhill a bit.

Coming back it was looking close and on the uphill bit I was worried as it wasn't enough so slowed down & turned the heating down but in reality it was fine & I got back with 10% remaining.

You do learn to slow down & turn heating down when it gets tight.

A useful tool on google maps is to plan a route by cycling as it gives gradients / climb & decent details. Sometimes a longer route or off motorway extends your range.

Roll on the summer!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom