100% Battery range

Timl

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone,
I have had my MG5 LR 2 weeks now and just started yesterday using it on my daily commute. I can charge up at work on a Pod point for free, this morning I put the car on charge at 8.15 am. The battery was at 26%, at 2 pm I checked the car and it had 79% and 2 hours left to go. I finished work 7 pm and the battery was at 100%, once unplugged I turned the car on and it showed 100% and 205 mile range in eco mode.
Is this normal or is it low.
I travel 25 miles to work 23 of these are on the M74/M6, in eco mode, let's 3 at 62 mph and heater on 20 with fan on 2 I am getting 2.8/ 3 miles per kw which again seems low.
When I got home tonight the battery was @ 87% and range is 173 miles, after 25 miles.

Hi everyone,
I have had my MG5 LR 2 weeks now and just started yesterday using it on my daily commute. I can charge up at work on a Pod point for free, this morning I put the car on charge at 8.15 am. The battery was at 26%, at 2 pm I checked the car and it had 79% and 2 hours left to go. I finished work 7 pm and the battery was at 100%, once unplugged I turned the car on and it showed 100% and 205 mile range in eco mode.
I travel 25 miles to work 23 of these are on the M74/M6, in eco mode, let's 3 at 62 mph and heater on 20 with fan on 2 I am getting 2.8/ 3 miles per kw which again seems low.
When I got home tonight the battery was @ 87% and range is 173 miles, after 25 miles.
I got my mg5 lr 2 weeks ago. im getting about 175 range although temps have been just above freezing. I’m averaging 2.8 mpkw also. There doesn’t seem to be that much difference between the short range.

Hi
I’ve had mine (Mg5 long range) since September and was getting about 3.1miles/ kwh
Now with the cold weather I get about 1.8
I travel about 1.5 miles to work and the same back then lots of little journeys in between
Eco mode on for the lighter steering
Kers 3
Heater on 26°C heated seats on (nice and toasty)
Radio on
Dash cam on
I too charge at work for free
So I just use it as a normal car when I get to 30% battery I charge it back upto about 80%
I do a balance charge up to 100% once a month
I worried about miles/kWh at first but at the end of the day it is a mode of transport to be enjoyed not to worry about miles/kwh
So enjoy the experience of an ev and just charge when needed
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

So before my trip to Wales I made sure it was 100% and equalised. Mine is the short range version. I was getting 208 in eco mode to start. I drove in normal mode for 100 miles exact. I got 3.2mpkh with the heating on , radio in the dark with wife, kid and car full of stuff. I had I think 38% left when I arrived, I'll check in the morning when I charge it at the house.

I did 70/75mph most of the way on the A55.

Granted it was only 6 c degrees outside so not not too cold and wasn't raining.

So how come the LR is getting about the same?

Oh I forgot to ssy in normal mode with heater on etc... basically the way I was going to drive all of the way, it said 174 mile range I think and it was pretty much on the nail. So that was a very accurate prediction for my style of driving which isn't too slow.

The problem is with so many variables it's hard to say what might be causing high consumption figures. The cold weather will have a lot to do with it, as will short journeys from cold with everything on. Tyre pressures, road conditions, speed, power usage etc, etc...

Our Leaf has averaged 3.6 over a year with highs of 4.5 and lows if 3.2

I think I read or heard somewhere that the batteries are made from different materials and the SR has a battery that does mind the cold as much as the LR battery?

New owners, keep an eye on the power meter on the dash. It can be quite revealing when you are using power unnecessarily. A slight almost unnoticeable backing off on the loud/go/accelerator pedal will drop your power usage considerably without any effect on speed etc. but will increase your mile/kWh.
Try and keep in the efficiency area of power and try and avoid the top end. Not always easy but worth the effort.

I'm sure you must have seen the thread below but worth reading if not as others are getting much higher figures.

Last edited:
Snip - I turned the car on and it showed 100% and 205 mile range in eco mode.

When you turn the car on you're in normal mode which gives less range than eco, the estimate during charging is range in eco mode.
Low temperatures and bad weather have a big effect on range, I did a long range test last week, 162 miles from 100% in 0c-3c temps and I reckon my full range would have been 180 miles, that's down from average 220 in summer. Would have been even less if I'd used the heater/ac all the way.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom