100% charge range down

grayoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Just charged my Trophy to 100%, took advantage of a rare empty space at work.

100% charge achieved but the range states 229 miles?

When I have done a 100% charge in the past its given a range of 260ish

What was your journey to work like? I think the range estimate is based on temperature and the previous journey's miles per kWh.

That said, 229 miles / 61.7 kWh (usable capacity) = 3.7 miles per kWh - seems reasonable.

What was your journey to work like? I think the range estimate is based on temperature and the previous journey's miles per kWh.
Good point, it was crap, dark raining and cold. So does that mean the charge is only an estimate, seems to drop away as normal, therefor actual range is reduced.

It's cold and dark and wet and yuk now. Don't expect to see the ranges you had in the warmer weather until well into next year now.
Yes, I'm obviously new to all this, I just thought range was range, always roughly the same, but the drain on the battery would be effected by conditions and just drain down more quickly, but the max range would stay roughly the same. Another lesson learnt :)

Yes, I'm obviously new to all this, I just thought range was range, always roughly the same, but the drain on the battery would be effected by conditions and just drain down more quickly, but the max range would stay roughly the same. Another lesson learnt :)
The learning with an EV never stops, don't feel you're the first or last to ask the question, we all have! That's the joy of the community here though, can all learn from each other.

Think of the battery like a regular car's efficency if you like, a really efficient car will get say, 60mpg and a not so efficient one around 40mpg. The way batteries work is they are less efficient in cold weather and as it gets colder and damper you will invariably need to run the HVAC more, further depleting the available charge for the motor - thus when the efficiency is down, the range is down as you are effectivly getting less "MPG" (ironically, this is the inverse to an ICE car who's engines are generally more efficient as the air becomes colder).

Heating an ICE car also has very little impact on range. The warmth is drawn from the (otherwise inefficiently wasted) engine heat, that would otherwise be lost to the atmosphere. This not being the case in an EV (without a heatpump, let's not go there though).

Expect anything from 25% to 35% loss of range in Winter on any EV depending how you drive.
My 2020 ZS does 160 miles in Summer and 120 miles in Winter, a 25% loss and that's trying to be frugal.

if you reset the trip meter, the range will go back to the MG default, and show the full range. Otherwise the displayed range is always based on your current average MpKw
Agreed !.
Remember to turn off your HVAC ( heating ) before you close down the car, when you get to work.
Otherwise, as soon the car boot's up for the return journey home, the HVAC will automatically be triggered.
With the heating turned on, this will show an instant reduction in the predicted range.

Was that in Standard, have you tried switching to Eco (annoyingly you have to do that everytime you get in the car)......WHY can't it remember your choice as it does with the regen braking???

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back