1100 Miles and in the garage - engine management light

Three weeks have now passed since my car had the engine management light (and radio) troubles. Three weeks since my car has been in the garage.
Parts have finally arrived but one of them didn't work, so more parts are on order from China. Not a happy bunny now. But nobody at MG seems to care.
Rob very sorry to hear about all the hassle your having. That's awful. One of the main reasons for buying a new car is the supposed peace of mind regarding reliability! Also disconcerting to hear that you were passed from pillar to post between MG UK and your local dealer - not good. Also surprised MG don't have their own courtesy cars to give you instead of outsourcing to a rental car company?

FYI I've had my HS PHEV for 1 month and have done ~1500miles . No mechanical issues so far. Just an erratic/intermittent automated boot lid that seems to freeze and requires manual closure sometimes.

One of the other members asked about ICE Vs EV miles that you had done. Is there a way to interrogate the onboard system to find this information out?
Over the 1500miles I've done the main Trip computer is showing an average of 52mpg. I'd roughly guesstimate my ICE:EV usage is 60/40. An overseas trip to Ireland included in that with mainly motorway ICE miles.

Three weeks have now passed since my car had the engine management light (and radio) troubles. Three weeks since my car has been in the garage.
Parts have finally arrived but one of them didn't work, so more parts are on order from China. Not a happy bunny now. But nobody at MG seems to care.
you would have thought they could take the part (that did not work) out of a car they had to sell ( or a test one) , so it would get your car going , and when the part arrives they could fit it to that car.

I read in AutoExpress this week that in their driver power survey of new cars, MG came 29th (out of 29). 38% of owners with a car less than 12 months old had reported a fault unfortunately. Obviously this doesn't help you in any way but you are clearly not alone so you would hope MG started putting much more effort in to trying to satisfy customers, so fingers crossed for you they are looking to improve behind the scenes. Sincerely hope things improve quickly for you Rob Healy.

Have you emailed MG UK? I did about my poor response from sales and to give them their due they phoned me to discuss.
I had an email from customer services following my complaint re the hire car, but I was thinking about following that up as it's been a while since I heard anything from them.

Given the JD Power survey results I would use that to lever some action. MG have your money and your car, I personally would be kicking up an almighty stink by now. Customer service will never improve if we as customers do not force change.

A day short of 4 weeks - my car is still in the garage. I have now emailed customer services and asked them to replace my car or cancel my agreement and refund me. I am not at all happy with the way MG have looked after my case. I will see what this brings, but either way I'm still not holding my breath.

Attachments

• email.png
    email.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 166
I cannot read that however I would quote the relevant consumer legislation, say you are now rejecting the car for a refund or replacement. Send it by email and recorded delivery. Copy the dealer principle and if on finance send to them. If you paid any of it with a credit card (always a good idea) also notify them. I did that last year with my Volvo (bought used) and the problems were very quickly sorted.

MG’s response. Basically, because the car is from a dealership and on finance, they don’t give a cr@p:

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn that this matter remains outstanding and I am sorry for any disappointment being caused.

MG Motor UK Ltd were initially informed of a delay as your dealership were waiting for a part to arrive.

This part arrived last week and the repair was completed.

However, I understand that a separate problem was identified.

I have followed this up with Toomey MG and I have been informed that no investigation into this new problem has yet taken place. They will begin diagnosis this afternoon.

Unfortunately MG Motor UK Ltd cannot advise what is happening until the diagnosis is made by your MG dealership and we do not become involved in any conversation relating to rejecting or replacing a motor vehicle. This type of conversation would be held with your retailer, who hold your contract of sale and with your finance company, who are the legal owners of the vehicle.

What I can advise is that should any part or component fail as the result of a manufacturing defect within the warranty period, then it will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you.

Thank you for taking the time to contact MG and I trust that the above will answer your questions and it will not be too long before this matter is brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

When I had problems with my Volvo last year I had a similar response. However when I pointed out I had already notified Volvo finance company (who were non too happy) and there is reputational damage by association Volvo soon changed their stance.

My response to MG's Customer Service email...

Thank you for your email.

I must admit that I'm rather surprised that MG aren't really interested in helping me. I'm sure it would be different if was fortunate enough to be a cash buyer.

I will now speak to the finance company as I'm sure they'll be interested to hear what is happening. The retailer on the other hand only seems to be interested in providing information when you or I chase them up. There has been no after sales or other courtesy correspondence from them which is most disappointing.

Overall, I must say that I am far from happy with the overall MG set up and I regret my decision to purchase what I thought was a flagship car from a flagship company. How wrong I was.

MG’s response.

Thank you for your further correspondence.

The Aftersales Manager at Toomey is currently on Annual leave. I was assured by Natalie, the service advisor, that they would be looking at your vehicle yesterday p.m.

I am sorry that I did not have any more information at the time of your email.

Whether a cash buyer or a finance buyer, it will always be your selling retailer who you would need to discuss this with, as they hold your contract of sale. MG Motor UK Ltd, provide and act on the terms of the warranty provided on the vehicle.

I trust that it won’t be long until this matter is brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

talk about ‘passing the buck’…..! Maybe try contacting Honest John, What Car etc and getting some wider publicity for this? I want to buy an MG but these problems do not make that an easy decision. However it is known other manufacturers such as BMW are also having problems sourcing parts and have customer cars off the road for weeks. Wasn’t a good sight yesterday to see a nearly new HS PHEV coming into the Leeds dealers yesterday on the back of an AA truck….

The end is nigh...
I received a call from the dealership an hour ago, telling me the car is ready to collect. I am going to take the hire car back to them in the morning, and will collect my car. I won't know until I get there as to exactly what has been replaced / repaired but I will make sure I get everything documented. I will still fight my case regarding the poor customer service and my expectations for compensation.

I’ve got my car back 😁

Paperwork not ready yet, so I won’t know what has actually been done for a couple of weeks due to it being under warranty.

No apologies for the delay, not even fully charged (or a full tank of petrol (!))

I’m in the process of moving house, so things are a little up on the air right now, but I will be taking this a lot further. MG themselves don’t seem interested, so it might have to go via the dealership customer service team, or via Santander, the people I finance the car through.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom