12v battery replacement MG5

carlraven

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

I haven't got my MG5 yet. RRG Stockport MG dealer still have it who say they have had issues with the 12v battery. It's taken 7 days so far, they're hoping another week for it to arrive. Is this normal for MG parts? And surely we're not tied to an MG branded 12v battery? Anyone had any other batteries which have worked well?

Hi, there is another thread that started earlier about 'parts availability', you may or may not want to read it🤔

There's nothing special about the 12v, any motor factors should be able to supply one.

I would agree that the permanent replacement should be OEM but an equivalent would get you on the road in the meantime. Customer Service kudos waiting to be earned.

There's nothing special about the 12v, any motor factors should be able to supply one.
Thanks for this. I guess they'd rather wait for an mg one at the dealer. I asked the salesman about the type of battery it needed. He didn't. ☹️. A bit worried about future customer service...

I meant the dealer could obtain one local, easily, to get you going.
If the dealer went to local motor factors and bought one it would come out of his pocket not MG if MG didn't ok it and doubtful they ever would never mind the pitfalls for the dealer and the customer if anything was to go wrong through a fault with the battery not supplied by the manufacturer of the vehicle . Warranty procedures are there for a reason to keep everyone right.

If the dealer went to local motor factors and bought one it would come out of his pocket not MG if MG didn't ok it and doubtful they ever would never mind the pitfalls for the dealer and the customer if anything was to go wrong through a fault with the battery not supplied by the manufacturer of the vehicle . Warranty procedures are there for a reason to keep everyone right.
Some early ZS cars had the original SAIC 12V battery replaced by a Varta, so how does that affect the warranty then ?
Also the battery is only covered for 12 months anyway, I'm sure most aftermarket batteries have a better warranty than that.

Most OEM batteries are low cost contract price and not the best. I always fit a good quality battery at the first sign of trouble as it’s cheaper than faffing around with additional dealer visits.

It's a 12v battery. I seriously doubt anything would go wrong with a branded non oem battery. More chance of the HV battery having issues than the 12v. I would be having words with the dealer..... And MG UK.

My previous EV model (i.e. not mine, it was a generic problemacross the model range - Vauxhall Ampera) might throw a fit if the battery voltage was below a certain level - 11.5v rings a bell but maybe wrong. You'd get all kind of spurious errors. I never suffered it though.

The orig equipment batteries were, I think, branded GM (General Motors) and really didn't seem top last 5 years. The faults were usually innocuous but as they were sometimes near-bricking the serious users would change their battery every three years as a matter of course.

Some early ZS cars had the original SAIC 12V battery replaced by a Varta, so how does that affect the warranty then ?
Also the battery is only covered for 12 months anyway, I'm sure most aftermarket batteries have a better warranty than that.
If it was replaced by the dealer with MG's approval theres no issue, Given its 12 month warranty if it goes after that and its probably in the consumable or wear and tear list like brake pads etc and I would get it changed myself or at any tyre exhaust depot. I personally have changed brake pads in all my cars myself as dealers take your arm off for extras at servicing time. Yes some decent battery's come with up to 3 years warranty. Point I was trying to get across was if the OP Carlraven's battery is in a new car or within the battery warranty period then his and the dealers hands are tied if a new battery has to be supplied by MG. Who knows whats wrong with the car? We are relying on a dealers word here. How far could you throw that?

Thanks for this. I guess they'd rather wait for an mg one at the dealer. I asked the salesman about the type of battery it needed. He didn't. ☹️. A bit worried about future customer service...
Beauty of that is you can take your servicing to any Mg dealer you want if theres another one within a reasonable distance.

Maybe being naïve but why doesn't the dealer put a battery in pro temp to get you on the road and when mg supply said goods -swop em' back !
Absolutely, he could take one off a showroom car, send the OP on his way and fit the new one to the showroom car when it arrives. I'd be happy with that.

If it was replaced by the dealer with MG's approval theres no issue, Given its 12 month warranty if it goes after that and its probably in the consumable or wear and tear list like brake pads etc and I would get it changed myself or at any tyre exhaust depot. I personally have changed brake pads in all my cars myself as dealers take your arm off for extras at servicing time. Yes some decent battery's come with up to 3 years warranty. Point I was trying to get across was if the OP Carlraven's battery is in a new car or within the battery warranty period then his and the dealers hands are tied if a new battery has to be supplied by MG. Who knows whats wrong with the car? We are relying on a dealers word here. How far could you throw that?
I see what you're saying @Kev555 but it seems a bit stringent of the dealer to not find a better solution.

Dealers aren't known for their flexibility except when your buying a new car where they can move heaven and earth to relieve you of your savings or the banks:oops: I suppose a lot depends on MG,s flexibility around warranty issues but the dealer could swap a battery out of a new stock car if he had one to let Carlraven away.

Just a quick update for info...

My 12v battery system was 'fixed' according to MG. Picked up my car and drive it for a day and a half. Then on the way home had a 100% power failure in the fast lane of a dual carriageway. Even the hazard lights wouldn't work!

Scary moment. MG won't give me info until they have had another look at the car. Kev555, you're right about dealer inflexibility. They did give me a courtesy car though. Let's see what happens...

Hopefully they get it sorted quickly, sounds like more than a battery issue or incompetence fitting the replacement with total power loss so quick. The least they could do is a courtesy car with faults on a nearly new car under warranty.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom