12v battery seems low

Chrisb

Established Member
Reaction score
There's 2 ZS Ev's in our family, mine has been used throughout the year, and my mother's has been stood for a couple of weeks, I've thought I'd check the voltage of the 12v battery with a multimeter, mine was 12.3v and my mum's was 11.95v, this seemed low to me, as when the car is on the volts on the dash read 14v so you'd think they would be getting charged, but it's my understanding that a car battery is only classed as fully charged when it's above 12.6v and anything under 12v it's more or less classed as empty, both cars have been fine starting up etc, but long term I can't see the 12v batteries lasting very long, being left at a low state of charge, and I'm inclined to charge them up myself back to full, is it because the car doesn't have an alternator throwing out loads of amps, but only producing what it needs to run the car accessories that maybe the battery doesn't get charged as it should?

There's 2 ZS Ev's in our family, mine has been used throughout the year, and my mother's has been stood for a couple of weeks, I've thought I'd check the voltage of the 12v battery with a multimeter, mine was 12.3v and my mum's was 11.95v, this seemed low to me, as when the car is on the volts on the dash read 14v so you'd think they would be getting charged, but it's my understanding that a car battery is only classed as fully charged when it's above 12.6v and anything under 12v it's more or less classed as empty, both cars have been fine starting up etc, but long term I can't see the 12v batteries lasting very long, being left at a low state of charge, and I'm inclined to charge them up myself back to full, is it because the car doesn't have an alternator throwing out loads of amps, but only producing what it needs to run the car accessories that maybe the battery doesn't get charged as it should?
11.95 volts is a little on the low side, but is to be expected given the amount of down time the car has seen lately.
When the car is being used daily, it is not a problem.
Couple of options here Chris, If the HV pack has plenty of range, get Mum to boot up the car to the "Ready" state and ensure that the HVAC etc is turned "Off".
Leave the car ( as long as it's safely parked ) for a while in order to charge the 12 volt battery from the HV battery pack.
Second option is to purchase a "Smart" 12 volt battery charger and give the battery a trickle charge every couple of months.
You could use the charger on both cars then ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom