• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

12v Car heater and what is the best OBD2 adapter for Watchdog app?

SimmieC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,
Recently I did a long drive in the early morning. As I set off I had to de-ice the car on the inside (yes inside). As it was a long journey I didn't want to use the cars heater too much but obviously safety came first and it took and extra stop. This lead me to search for a 12v car heaters. Most of these are between 130w and 150w. Now is it worth purchasing one of these and mounting on the dash to help demist the screen or would it be better to switch the car heater on and off (and on and off and on and......)?
Also I'm seriously looking into purchasing the Watchdog app and I will need an OBD2. Is there anyone who can point me in the direction of a good one!!!
Thanks

Just use the car heater. If you need more range then try and drive more efficiently. If you can pre-heat the car then that should give you the most benefit.

Is it ok to use the heater in the car, whilst it's charging??
It shouldn't be a problem most days as I'm an efficient driver as it is. The problem came as I needed to do motorway speeds and although I wasn't hitting 70 I still needed to keep up with the traffic and get where I was going!! Oh and worry about rapid chargers working.

It shouldn't be a problem most days as I'm an efficient driver as it is. The problem came as I needed to do motorway speeds and although I wasn't hitting 70 I still needed to keep up with the traffic and get where I was going!! Oh and worry about rapid chargers working.
You'll have to wait for an MG owner to answer that for definite but why shouldn't you be able to have the heater on when charging especially if you're having to wait in the car? On my leaf I can, plus I can schedule heating, plus switch it with an app. I may have to cancel my order if the MG can't charge and heat! Your car heater will be way better and more efficient than any plug in version. Best to just worry about chargers than worry about chargers and whether your screen is clear!

Edit: You can heat and charge see this

Make sure you are in Normal not Eco as the heater is restricted in Eco, switch back to Eco when defrosted

What about pre-heating on the previous gen though? I was able to go to the car this morning and it had charged overnight and pre-heated just before I left. I'm pretty sure the new ZS will do this but unsure about previous. Although the video I linked shows heating and charging it does seem "clunky" and maybe puts the 12V battery at risk which seems bizarre! A solution for that would help the OP I think.

You don't need to purchase a heater. It was. - 3 this morning it took approximately three and a half minutes to completey defrost the car.
Mrs Me ( Volvo 2.4 diesel ) and Mr Me ( Mg5LR ) set off this morning on separate journeys. Both cars coated in ice at -2 deg 7am. Volvo defrosted in about 8 mins. Mg5 defrosted in just under 2 mins and lovely and warm inside too!. Don't care if we drag mls/kwh down to 2.7 on shorter journeys in winter. Still really really REALLY cheap :))

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom