13 miles driven and I’m wondering how I’m going to love it….

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the video. It amazes me that a car can be delivered without a proper hand over ref controls etc

The poor handover is dealer incompetence and definitely not due to faulty vehicle design or construction. I had the best ever handover on my ZS EV from a dealer who spent 75 minutes talking to me about all the things you mention and many more.

Every car has its shortcomings. The ZS EV has as well. No regen while using ACC, not being a ground up EV so makes it a bit less efficient. Indicator quite noisy and so forth.

But overall for the price point it's a banging car! Can't go wrong with it. So small issues like this, I'll take it. If one really wants to get these resolved then other brands are there which might be able to meet your needs. Having driven cars like the DS3 E-Tense, Hyundai Kona, Ioniq, Nissan Leaf and the MG ZS LR. My favourite has been the ZS with a very very close second Kona. Infact I would have considered the kona if it was cheaper. That's probably the main reason that made me choose the ZS over it.

At the moment Moby is level pegging with the Insignia I had.

When it wasn’t broken (given my milage, that wasn’t that frequent in the last two years of ownership), the Vauxhall swallowed everything and went anywhere. You could get 700 miles from a tankful if one was careful (not that was very often given the temptation to enjoy the characteristic turbo diesel “whoosh” of acceleration with the hammer down at 2500rpm in 3rd).

Sadly the ‘siggy got too ill & too old, and I wasn’t going to continue spending £250+ a month on Dino juice.

Provided Moby keeps his nose clean regarding reliability, he’ll pull ahead.

@bimbamboodle
It doesn’t have a hard copy manual, but it does have one on the infotainment screen, and the app of course. Many people (myself included), have downloaded it onto a laptop or iPad for somewhat easier viewing, or they have purchased a paper version via a ‘print my pdf’ company.
I haven’t yet managed to bind the app and car yet, will try again tomorrow. Thanks

The handover I had was very thorough also. No complaints there.
I went to my nearest garage despite it not coming from them and they were very helpful in exchange for a generous Google review! Got a few more of the settings sorted at least!

You've made up your mind already, and now everything will be confirmation bias. You'll be looking for the next problem, and every tiny thing will only justify your opinion...
So far so good! I really think the delivery driver just dropping it off and then needing a lift without a proper handover freaked me out!

Make sure LKA is turned off and that sat nav is not in Dead Reckoning mode. Now drive the car in N and Kers 3 - the world is now your oyster - enjoy.
What is Kers 3? I see the switch but even the dealer couldn’t explain it.

I went to a nearby dealer yesterday who was very helpful in exchange for a glowing google review! Must’ve spent an hour or so with two different members of staff.

What is Kers 3? I see the switch but even the dealer couldn’t explain it.
“kers” means using regen to put some energy back into the battery that would normally be lost in braking.

The switch is the middle one of the three just above the drive mode (Park/Reverse/Drive) selector. With the car switched on, push or pull the switch to change the kers level, you will see a symbol on the dash change to 3, 2 or 1.

Kers 1 is like normal engine braking on a petrol car, 2 is kinda “medium” and 3 is like using the brakes, even though you arent. The car defaults to 3 every time you turn it on.

You’ll hear a lot of guff about what the “right” kers setting is, however “you do you” & experiment with it to see what works

Sorry I took it for granted that you had done a bit of research on this forum. LKA is Lane Keep Assist and Dead Reckoning is a as the crow flies route - no idea what use this is. The dealer should go through things with you. I would keep all the gimmicks turned off until you have got the basics sorted.
The EV driving experience is addictive and for me there is no turning back.
Great if you’re a drone I guess?! I spent time with a couple of guys at the local garage which was really helpful. Also discovered charging at night is not cost effective as our supplier then increases daytime charges…..! It is very smooth, I’m used to low profile tyres so all the local potholes don’t feel so bad now!

Every car has its shortcomings. The ZS EV has as well. No regen while using ACC, not being a ground up EV so makes it a bit less efficient. Indicator quite noisy and so forth.

But overall for the price point it's a banging car! Can't go wrong with it. So small issues like this, I'll take it. If one really wants to get these resolved then other brands are there which might be able to meet your needs. Having driven cars like the DS3 E-Tense, Hyundai Kona, Ioniq, Nissan Leaf and the MG ZS LR. My favourite has been the ZS with a very very close second Kona. Infact I would have considered the kona if it was cheaper. That's probably the main reason that made me choose the ZS over it.
I’ve discovered you can turn the sound down on the indicators!

Looks like you already convinced yourself you gonna hate it.
Each to their own, I guess.
Having had a thorough explanation of most of the controls etc by a local garage I’m not hating it as much! The finish is never going to be a patch on my previous cars, but hey, you can’t have everything!;-)

You've made up your mind already, and now everything will be confirmation bias. You'll be looking for the next problem, and every tiny thing will only justify your opinion...
Nope, I’m very open minded about it!

“kers” means using regen to put some energy back into the battery that would normally be lost in braking.

The switch is the middle one of the three just above the drive mode (Park/Reverse/Drive) selector. With the car switched on, push or pull the switch to change the kers level, you will see a symbol on the dash change to 3, 2 or 1.

Kers 1 is like normal engine braking on a petrol car, 2 is kinda “medium” and 3 is like using the brakes, even though you arent. The car defaults to 3 every time you turn it on.

You’ll hear a lot of guff about what the “right” kers setting is, however “you do you” & experiment with it to see what works
Is it pretty much the same as flicking between eco, normal and sport?

A few of the things people raise aren't so much problems as lack of research. The car isn't perfect - some have had a nightmare with it - but overall it's good bang for price at the time. I do like that it's quite compact and easy to chuck about in the city...been driving mine like I stole it :ROFLMAO:

MG could do a better job of making sure a basic PDI standards are met, updates done ect...mine didn't even have the tyres at the correct pressure. The lack of rear interior light will continue to bug me, but I knew that before buying so would it to the list of improvements I'd like to see on the Mk3.

Is it pretty much the same as flicking between eco, normal and sport?
In a word, no.

Slightly simplified:

Eco, Normal & Sport are the “go”

Kers 1, 2 & 3 are the “stop”

Eco gives you slightly less “go” (and also restricts the energy used in the heater & a/c), possibly useful on longer trips when you just just that tiny bit more range or have a heavy right foot and want to avoid going too fast too quick.

Normal is…. Normal. Enough poke to go quickly when you want to but not so much to hammer the range.

Sport is f’n quick and not really needed unless you’re feeing spicy or want to embarrass some chav in an Audi at traffic lights. Its not dangerous, but with enough shove you can set off the traction control so be careful.

In a word, no.

Slightly simplified:

Eco gives you slightly less “go” (and also restricts the energy used in the heater & a/c), possibly useful on longer trips when you just just that tiny bit more range or have a heavy right foot and want to avoid going too fast too quick.

Normal is…. Normal. Enough poke to go quickly when you want to but not so much to hammer the range.

Sport is f’n quick and not really needed unless you’re feeing spicy or want to embarrass some chav in an Audi at traffic lights. Its not dangerous, but with enough shove you can set off the traction control so be careful.
Sport + Kers 1 puts you in to what is officially known in our house as “Beans Mode”

There is volume control for them
I've done all of that but it's still quite noisy compared to every other car I've had or driven. Then again as I said, it's not a deal breaker. It's just one of those annoying niggles that you come to terms with. Having driven close to 6k on this car I'm immune to everything I mentioned above. This is more for information for any new owners coming the the ZS EV.

In a word, no.

Slightly simplified:

The manual does suggest Sport for eg when going up a hill on a dirt track road.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom