182 miles as a pickup journey without charging?

prefertobike

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm picking up my new mg5 at the beginning of April. I'm a little nervous about charging as I've never used a public charger before. Do you think a fully charged mg5 could make the 182 mile trip without a recharge? (eco mode, max speed 60, and wooly hat if needs be!). Apart from the first recharge attempt I'm really looking forward to getting to the car!

Possibly pushing it a bit! A lot will depend on the weather. If it's cold, the wind is against you and it's raining, it's a big risk. In mild weather, on a windless, dry day or with the wind at your back, you'd be ok, provided you stick to that 60 max and don't use much heater.

Still think you'd be better trying a charger en route. There are lots of YouTube videos showing you how to use one and really, it's not that scary, or difficult.

Good luck, let us know how you get on. They really are great cars and you will enjoy the driving and the money you save.

Obviously make sure you have a Type 2 cable when you pick up the car as not all chargers en route will be tethered! I've also heard stories about cars picked up from dealers that didn't always have 100% charge so best to be prepared and then you can relax. It's the nicest drive experience I've had so sure you will enjoy it...

I run the ZS but I would have thought driving steadily you MG5 owners could easily get 180 miles?

Best to have a type2 cable to hand.... just in case
I've picked my MG5 up today, 160 miles, 95% of it on the M1 down from Leeds. After the 160 miles with heating/AC off, (it was a pleasant day until it rained). I got back with allegedly 35 miles of range left, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have to drive further! I was mainly doing about 60, but did do a few stretches at 70.
I did take a type 2 with me just in case and loaded the Electric Highway app in case I needed to charge on the M1.
It was very nice to drive, and the 1st time I'd even seen an MG5!
I'm sure you'll love your new car.

Thanks, best to prepare for a charging stop to be safe!
Is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying a type 2 to 2 lead? I see an "ev onestop" cable on Amazon for £140.
Does the mg5 come supplied with a granny charger?

Bear in mind that if you stop and use an AC charger be prepared for a long wait as you can only charge at just under 7kw/h max - so about an hour to add about 23 miles (certainly in the ZS - maybe the MG5 is different). It’s much quicker to use rapid DC chargers which are all tethered so you won’t need a cable and in theory you can add up to 80kw/h. the type 2 cable is good to have though just in case As is the granny as a last resort.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying a type 2 to 2 lead? I see an "ev onestop" cable on Amazon for £140.
Yes, it has a granny charger cable but you'll be a long time waiting to charge with that.

I bought my Type 2 from EVcables.co.uk - you only need a 7kW/32A cable as that's all the MG5 will take and they are thinner and lighter than the 22kW ones used by the Zoe etc.

I have the ev onestop cable and I've not had any problems. Just make sure it's the 32amp version.

I'm picking up my new mg5 at the beginning of April. I'm a little nervous about charging as I've never used a public charger before. Do you think a fully charged mg5 could make the 182 mile trip without a recharge? (eco mode, max speed 60, and wooly hat if needs be!). Apart from the first recharge attempt I'm really looking forward to getting to the car!
I picked mine up last Friday evening. Driving 98 miles home in the dark, lights and heater on all the way home, 65mph on mostly motorway. I got home with 100+ miles left on the display. I was very impressed. The temp was 8 degrees. The car was at 97% charged when I picked it up. I think you could quite easily make it with careful driving. Just have a plan B ready if you get a bit twitchy. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. Good luck.

My miles done (ca. 120) and miles left (ca. 93) (Can't remember the exact figs) add up to 213 (I DO remember that figure for sure though).

It's mostly been in Economy mode and KERS 3 when allowed, subject to me remembering to select it.

We're about 2 miles from a mid sized Norfolk town, so most of the travel has been into town and back at 30-60 mph, fairly gently for the most part (but with a little booting it away from the lights and also up the hill home, because I like the thrutch of a leccy car.)

Outside that, probably the longest round trip this charge has been ~40-50 miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom