1st service cost, seems expensive!

DanRiz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Iv got two quotes so far for my 1st service. I purchased it from Glyn Hopkins St. Albans and they want £169. Tried to explain this is an EV with low mileage (5,600 mls) and it shouldnt cost so much, but they wouldnt budge. I then tried Glyn hopking east london with a very similar price. Can anyone recommend a place nearing north london at a reasonable cost.
Thank you

WLMG South Ruislip. My first service in March 2021 was £130.16

There is also a dealer in Bushey. Not sure of name though.

Ask them what the service includes. Ensure you top up your windscreen wash, cost me £7 for a top up 😕

Reception dont know the prices for EV. I have a 4 year low mileage under 10,000 service plan for mine with Glyn Hopkin East London. First service is £27 on my plan. When I phoned to book 1st service the desk said £160 or something so the switchboard dont know anything and clearly quite ICE prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1st service was £27 but got it free from MG due to bad BMS fiasco. 2nd and 3rd year £98 and 4th year £63

Attachments

• 20211218_151033.jpg
    20211218_151033.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 216
Have a look at this thread. Whilst it’s about low mileage services, the images do give an example of 5 year standard service pricing

Iv got two quotes so far for my 1st service. I purchased it from Glyn Hopkins St. Albans and they want £169. Tried to explain this is an EV with low mileage (5,600 mls) and it shouldnt cost so much, but they wouldnt budge. I then tried Glyn hopking east london with a very similar price. Can anyone recommend a place nearing north london at a reasonable cost.
Thank you
Hi, I paid £92.50 for my 1st service at 15000 miles, the £2.50 was for screen wash

There should be far more transparency and consistency in service pricing. Far too often it’s hard to get to the bottom of what’s done to your car and what you are actually paying for.
The issue is that we are still in transition from ICE and garages are trying to hang on to servicing when in comparison there is far less that actually needs to be completed. Also dealers have a monopoly on servicing as no-one wants to go outside the dealer network (if you can find an independent garage to do the work that is) due to concerns over warranty.
This is not just MG, but most dealers when it comes to EV’s. This 3/4 Year coolant service/change for example on many EV’s is £350+ - how is that justified! Crazy prices.

My 1st service was £96. Apart from the service I got the car collected and returned. Washed and hovered. AA renewed for a year and warranty still in use 😁😊😀

Thank you
Ask MG for a quote, I got three years servicing on my MG5ev for £260ish!

Ik heb tot nu toe twee offertes gekregen voor mijn eerste onderhoudsbeurt. Ik kocht het van Glyn Hopkins St. Albans en ze willen £169. Probeerde uit te leggen dat dit een EV is met een lage kilometerstand (5.600 ml) en dat het niet zoveel zou moeten kosten, maar ze wilden niet toegeven. Ik probeerde toen Glyn hopking Oost-Londen met een zeer vergelijkbare prijs. Kan iemand tegen een redelijke prijs een plaats in de buurt van Noord-Londen aanbevelen.
Dank u
In the Netherlands € 105

Thank you
Yes that seems way too high. I’ve a service contract with Glyn Hopkin, East London, and I’m pleased with their service and price. Rather than just booking ad hoc services, I suggest agreeing a long term contract with them. We live right down in Surrey but travel up to Glyn Hopkin because we reckon they provide the best knowledgeable service. I’ll see if I can attach an example estimate. Good luck!

Attachments

• quote3733579lx20mxu2042021davidfayenuwo.pdf
    351.6 KB · Views: 218
Thank you
Just had my first service at Toomey in Basildon £53.40 including AA renewal, new bear and car washed. What's not to like?

Does anyone know what they should cover in the 1st service? I know the body check is extra etc, but for the actual “service” is there a checklist? Lunricate connectors, top up brake fluid, washer fluid, adjust tyre pressures etc ……??

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom