2 horn beeps when put into Drive.

SD43

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I was reversing out of my parking space as I have done hundreds of times previously in my Trophy and just as I was applying the brakes to go forward, the car let out 2 short sharp horn beeps.

I have no idea why - I don’t think there was an obstacle behind, and the internal reverse beeper wasn’t going crazy. It wouldn’t be a huge deal except it was 5:30am and the horn I’m sure woke a few neighbours. Any idea why it would have done this?

I know mine sounds a beep when I select reverse but I think it's the internal warning beep not the external horn.
Could water have run off the car and over the reversing sensors when you changed direction causing the car to think you were close to an obstacle?

I know mine sounds a beep when I select reverse but I think it's the internal warning beep not the external horn.
Could water have run off the car and over the reversing sensors when you changed direction causing the car to think you were close to an obstacle?
I think this can happen if the key fob is in your pocket and pressure is accidentally applied to the lock button, certainly happened in my last car🤷‍♂️

Ok, it’s happening again and more frequently. I’ve narrowed it down to car simply being put into Drive.

Select drive -> you hear a slight mechanical sound from the doors -> car horn beeps twice quickly

Does not do it every time. Very very annoying and embarrassing, especially as it tends to happen at 6am leaving for work and probably wakes the neighbours.

Edit: Should add it only happens when the car is started from completely off.

Any ideas?

Mine has done this a few times in scenario of my partner opening her door. No idea if it’s something to do with her holding the button or something but pretty sure it’s related to locking or unlocking of the vehicle.

Doesn’t mention 2 horn beeps in the manual, the horn is mentioned on page 246, and should sound once when trying to lock the car if the driver door isn’t fully closed (and it won’t lock), or once if any other door isn’t closed properly (but still locks the rest), or continuously if the alarm is activated. I can’t find mention of 2 beeps anywhere.

Doesn’t mention 2 horn beeps in the manual, the horn is mentioned on page 246, and should sound once when trying to lock the car if the driver door isn’t fully closed (and it won’t lock), or once if any other door isn’t closed properly (but still locks the rest), or continuously if the alarm is activated. I can’t find mention of 2 beeps anywhere.
No, I did exactly the same search as you and found no mention of 2 beeps.

If it's the doors not being shut properly I would have though it would show on the driver's screen even momentarily.
Mine has done this a few times in scenario of my partner opening her door. No idea if it’s something to do with her holding the button or something but pretty sure it’s related to locking or unlocking of the vehicle.
I’m 99% sure it’s something to do with the doors (the mechanical sound I mentioned coming from the doors before the beeps).

Are your door buttons working? People have reported this symptom when one of the door button units has failed, I am guessing because the car thinks there is something wrong with the door - or it might be the boot or charge flap or bonnet sensor.

The reason for the beeps is to alert you that the car is not properly secured - I am guess two beeps means the car has problem or fault somewhere.

Update for anyone interested - the car will now not beep if I get in and press the central locking button on the driver’s door before pressing the brake pedal wake it up. So, as other has suggested, it seems to be an issue with the central locking.
Not a fix but a short term solution and will get it looked at next time the car is in for a software update.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back