2 year MG ev offer for new

ger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just taken my MG ev exclusive for its second service 2 year old May with 13000 on clock.
dealer asked if they could give me a price against a new Trophy long distance.
my original price before any discounts was £34295.
they offered 14500 for my car leaving me to pay 20000 for the new car.
in theory it looks like I’ve lost £10000 each year.
needless to say I’m keeping the car that I love.
it used to be that you were offered more than the book price against a new car.
does this sound like a ripoff or is this the norm.
i refuse to pay an extra £20000 just for a better battery.

It’s more than just the battery of course. New infotainment, more powerful motor, new instrument binnacle, the app, not to mention the flakey software with its random restarts and assist system meltdowns :)

I assume this was the only deal on offer? No haggling?

The SR is an option - still a decent amount more range and you get all the other benefits.

Normal at the moment.
My deal was about the same.
Your dealer seems to be about £1000 more on list price but offered you £1000 more trade in
Orange Trophy plus mats, £33,263 list, £13,563 trade in, £200 deposit, £19,500 to pay.
I only paid £26,500 for my 2020 ZS (list price was £31,500). So depreciation about 50% in 3 years, which is about what it used to be before all the madness.
I did a valuation online with several different companies and it varied between £12,500 and £13,500, so the trade in was ok, on the high end in fact.

Things have charged massively, regarding SH values on EV's in the last 6 - 7 months, the reasons why have been covered in great length in other threads.
Purely as an example, a close relative of mine had a low mileage a ZSEV ( Gen 1 ) that was just over two years old.
His new long awaited Gen 2 LR arrived just before Xmas 2022.
The trade in price on his old car was ALMOST what he paid for the car brand new !.
The car is still on sale in May 2023 and has £5,000 reduced from the screen price.
Some dealers still have cars on their books that they clearly paid big money for, just before the bubble burst.
This is only ONE reason why they are not offering good prices on used EV's right now.

Last edited:
When my dealer told me he has quite a few Gen 1 ZS in stock and they've had to sell some at a loss, hence the low trade in, I said, "yes but mine will sell first due to its perfect condition and low mileage" (6,555 miles), he agreed and rounded the figure up a few quid. ;)

I looked at changing from gen1 to gen2 LR and it would be another £20k which is almost what I paid for the gen1 car in total.
So I’ll just keep the gen 1 and live with 165 miles instead of 265 or whatever. We have a Merc e-class estate for long distance or large loads anyway. That does 500 miles on a tank of diesel. Going to France in August so will take the Merc.

I looked at changing from gen1 to gen2 LR and it would be another £20k which is almost what I paid for the gen1 car in total.
So I’ll just keep the gen 1 and live with 165 miles instead of 265 or whatever. We have a Merc e-class estate for long distance or large loads anyway. That does 500 miles on a tank of diesel. Going to France in August so will take the Merc.
Yes it's cost me £19,700 to change from the Gen 1 ZS to the MG4 and I only paid around £25k for the ZS.
At the time there was still a £3k government grant and MG were giving a £5k deposit contribution with the PCP finance, which I took out then paid off straight away.
No grants and no deals available now makes it an expensive purchase.

yes, same here, perfect storm when I bought my new 71 plate exclusive, £25300 with grants and sweetners, Octopus deal for Ohme charger ( fit myself ) and 5p/kWh night time rate. Whilst disapointed with the trade in offer ( declined) I have/am saving a fortune in fuel given I do 18k a year.

Only worry is how many miles will the battery do?

When my dealer told me he has quite a few Gen 1 ZS in stock and they've had to sell some at a loss, hence the low trade in, I said, "yes but mine will sell first due to its perfect condition and low mileage" (6,555 miles), he agreed and rounded the figure up a few quid. ;)
Wow that equates to 50p per mile just in depreciation! My ZS EV mk1 lease ends in feb next year, love the car, no problems except inconsistent Android linking though i use it rarely. Range is just as quoted and suits me but no way will i buy it at end of lease as by then it will be so out of date range wise that i cant see it being saleable after maybe 5 years. Pity as i really love it but unless its almost given to me it will be too big a risk.

yes, same here, perfect storm when I bought my new 71 plate exclusive, £25300 with grants and sweetners, Octopus deal for Ohme charger ( fit myself ) and 5p/kWh night time rate. Whilst disapointed with the trade in offer ( declined) I have/am saving a fortune in fuel given I do 18k a year.

Only worry is how many miles will the battery do?
Octopus night rate is not the actual real cost per mile as the day rate is much higher. Using about 40% of my total at low rate the real cost works out at about a daily average of about 27p pkWh equating to about 8p per mile. Still cheaper than diesel though.

It’s a shame you have all decided to trade in so quickly. I bought my MG5 LR for the long haul. I fully intend to keep it for the 7 years until it’s been totally paid off at 0% finance deal. By then I’m not expecting to get very much for it and will be looking for another 0% deal to replace it. By the way it cost £24k - £285 per month. It was too good a deal not to take at the time. I drive 15k miles per year. 1st year service said no degradation yet in battery. Still 100%. Mostly use slow charger. The occasional long journey gets a fast top up. Loving my EV experience.

Just taken my MG ev exclusive for its second service 2 year old May with 13000 on clock.
I'm totally with you, and hypothetically,if you did do the deal that £34295 would possibly be £24295 next year,

My wife is in a similar situation and its got me thinking. Could a Gen 1 ZS EV be battery swapped with the long range battery for less than the cost of trading up to the new car?

My wife is in a similar situation and its got me thinking. Could a Gen 1 ZS EV be battery swapped with the long range battery for less than the cost of trading up to the new car?
If only. 😞
I would have loved to have done that.
I think it would still be very expensive if it were possible, as well as the battery, costing anything between £8k-£14k (my guess) there's the BMS and a rewrite of the software required.
I suppose it's theoretically possible and who knows, maybe in a few years time, when ZS batteries start degrading, some aftermarket company will do the upgrade, like they did with the Leaf.

Agree, it's almost the equivalent to suggesting an engine swap on a Ford Focus from 1.0 to a V6 or something.

If only. 😞
I would have loved to have done that.
I think it would still be very expensive if it were possible, as well as the battery, costing anything between £8k-£14k (my guess) there's the BMS and a rewrite of the software required.
I suppose it's theoretically possible and who knows, maybe in a few years time, when ZS batteries start degrading, some aftermarket company will do the upgrade, like they did with the Leaf.
Is this not why they have started putting a modular battery in the mg4/5 etc so that it can be more simpley transferable or replaced

Is this not why they have started putting a modular battery in the mg4/5 etc so that it can be more simpley transferable or replaced

Nope, I think you might have read an over enthusiastic article that over stated that.

It's more about giving MG flexibility at the factory to support multiple battery sizes at manufacturer.

Info here

Other than the NIO hot swap systems (as a charging solution) I don't see people upgrading their batteries in future. Finances of it make little sense.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom