2022 MG ZS charging issue

Jkrealm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all, I've looked through and not found the answer so wondering if someone can assist.

Got our MG ZS Trophy new mid last year and we have a Rolex charger, sporadically we find the car does not charge over night as planned, even though we get the notification from the charger app it doesn't happen.

This obviously could be a charger issue but I have contacted the technical support who initially told me it's due to the ZS falling asleep, however as far as I'm aware this does not happen on the new model ZS, they also sent me data showing the car being plugged in, the charger telling it to charge and it not happening. So if I can rule out definitively it's not a sleep issue that would be great.

The other thing we have found is we also own an MG5 and this hasn't happened to it yet, I'm normally not so concerned as it may happen once a month however it has now been twice this week.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Long range or standard? If long range, on the charging screen, check the charge limitl set is higher than the current level of charge. If the limit is set to 80% and the battery is at 81%, it won't charge. Also check that scheduled charging is off.

Does the car charge on the granny charger? If not, could be a fault with the on board inverter.

Long Range, it does it at any state of charge. Scheduled charging is off and yes it does charge via granny charger.

So it charged fine the night before but not the following evening, no settings were changed.

You could set the car to schedule the charge and use the Rolex as a dumb charger and see if that works.

We've got a Rolec Wallpod charger (installed last year when we got our MG EV ZS Long range) and have no end of problems.

Initially was fine, then stopped charging completely. After an on the road charging incident, the AA cleared all errors from our car and the Rolec started working again, but the installers came and installed a replacement part anyway, everything seemed okay.

Now though, it sometimes stops charging after a couple of minutes, or sometimes after 5% has been added to the battery. Also, drops offline regularly meaning I can't talk to it from the app.

All this is to say that I'm not impressed with the Rolec!

Anyway, there is trickle charge mode which should ensure your car doesn't go to sleep. We used that when we enabled scheduled charging. Now though we've turned it off and I check regularly to make sure that its charging, restarting from the iSmart app if not.

We've got a Rolec Wallpod charger (installed last year when we got our MG EV ZS Long range) and have no end of problems.

Initially was fine, then stopped charging completely. After an on the road charging incident, the AA cleared all errors from our car and the Rolec started working again, but the installers came and installed a replacement part anyway, everything seemed okay.

Now though, it sometimes stops charging after a couple of minutes, or sometimes after 5% has been added to the battery. Also, drops offline regularly meaning I can't talk to it from the app.

All this is to say that I'm not impressed with the Rolec!

Anyway, there is trickle charge mode which should ensure your car doesn't go to sleep. We used that when we enabled scheduled charging. Now though we've turned it off and I check regularly to make sure that its charging, restarting from the iSmart app if not.
Isn't this what smart chargers are supposed to do? I thought the idea was to vary when chargers switched on or off to ease the pressure on the grid. Is there a setting in the charger app to disable smart charging?

Isn't this what smart chargers are supposed to do? I thought the idea was to vary when chargers switched on or off to ease the pressure on the grid. Is there a setting in the charger app to disable smart charging?
You're probably right, but ours doesn't seem smart enough to do the smart stuff properly ;)

In answer to your question though, the app we use (ev.energy) has the option to turn off smart charging which is what we've had to do just so we can sure make it charges. We don't have a energy plan that gives us cheap rate charging overnight, but I realise that we're probably not doing the right thing for the energy supply. Maybe we need to learn to trust the charger again 😄

You're probably right, but ours doesn't seem smart enough to do the smart stuff properly ;)

In answer to your question though, the app we use (ev.energy) has the option to turn off smart charging which is what we've had to do just so we can sure make it charges. We don't have a energy plan that gives us cheap rate charging overnight, but I realise that we're probably not doing the right thing for the energy supply. Maybe we need to learn to trust the charger again 😄
A relative has experienced the same problem.
He had a MG ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) for a couple of years and charged it via his Rolec Smart wall box just fine.
At this point, he was on a standard tariff and no off peak charging.
He had the ev.energy App on his phone and would commence the charge from this.
Earlier this year, he updated to the ZS EV LR and switched energy company's from "Shell Energy" to the "Octopus Go" tariff, as his contract had expired.
He than started to experience problems getting the car to start charging.
Plugging in the car, then pressing the "Boost" button on the App but the fail to start charging.
The wall box was still under warranty and therefore he booked an appointment.
The guy checked over the unit and said it was a bad connection between the Type 2 socket on the car and the charging gun itself.
Remember the car was only two weeks old at this point.
Temp fix was carried out and a new Type 2 lead was ordered.
New lead installed a week later it failed again.
The EV installer was blaming the car !.
Car returned to the main dealer who carried out a software update for the charging port.
He is still testing the car to see if the problem has been cured.
It was never an issue on the previous Gen 1 model, the problem only commenced when updating to the new face lift model ?????.

Hi all, I've looked through and not found the answer so wondering if someone can assist.

Got our MG ZS Trophy new mid last year and we have a Rolex charger, sporadically we find the car does not charge over night as planned, even though we get the notification from the charger app it doesn't happen.

This obviously could be a charger issue but I have contacted the technical support who initially told me it's due to the ZS falling asleep, however as far as I'm aware this does not happen on the new model ZS, they also sent me data showing the car being plugged in, the charger telling it to charge and it not happening. So if I can rule out definitively it's not a sleep issue that would be great.

The other thing we have found is we also own an MG5 and this hasn't happened to it yet, I'm normally not so concerned as it may happen once a month however it has now been twice this week.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Hi You may not have seen my previous ZS post on hit & miss granny charging - anyway Luscombes MG couldn't find the fault so MG HQ told them to fit a new onboard charger. Happening this Friday. The AC/DC inverter is the problem as fortunately the DC side works ok on public rapid chargers.

I am having similar problems. I have a MG EV ZS (2022 model, 44kWh). I am in Australia, and have very cheap electricity between midnight and 6am. I have set up a timer switch to act as the "on/off" switch on my "Ocular" charger. It had a SPST push button switch to turn it on or off, so I replaced that on/off switch with the attached programmable timer.

However, when I get up, sometimes the charger is showing a message "Waiting for car", and the car has only charger 9 or 15 kWh.

So I too am looking for a way to look at the "charge history" in the car, and look at why it disconnects.

I am planning to buy a OVMS Base Component, and hopefully will then be able to interogate (at least) the last charge.

Is this a sensible approach?

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 25
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel