2022 ZS ev range

farmer boy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a car bought new 2 months ago and am only getting about 198 MILES ON a charge which is way short of 273 ,comment's and help please .

Basically, it’s winter. Mileage very much reduced in this bitterly cold weather. So much depends also on the type of driving you do, speed etc.

The range manufacturers state (WLTP?) aren’t what you get in normal driving conditions. They’re only in perfect lab conditions.

Use Ev-database.org to see real ranges for your car.

Have you got standard or long range? I have the standard range and it usually estimates 126 miles when full in winter (I mainly drive motorway). Goes up to 140 in summer. If I was city driving it would probably be closer to 200 miles.

I am going to assume it's the long range model that @farmer boy has as 273 miles of range has been mentioned / quoted in the post ?.
If so, you have set your charging level to max 100% SOC in the head unit of the car ?.
Also, have you tried resetting both of your trip recorders back to zero to see if that gets you closer.

My SR is supposed to hit 200 miles, and gets around 130-140 in the winter with a 51kwh battery.

My Ioniq was supposed to get 192 miles and got about 170 in winter with a 38kwh battery.

So, "cry harder" I suppose?

Last edited:
Hi all, Very ew to EV cars. Had my MG ZS EV long range for only 3/4 weeks.

I've charged it to 100% on the battery / app and it's displaying 255 miles. This has happened 3 times, but one it stated 100% and was up to 273miles. Why is there a difference? Or is the weather the difference?

I don't there is a setting to increase it up to 273 miles, it just naturally stops at 255miles - apart from that one occasion? Thank you in advance. Dave

Hi all, Very ew to EV cars. Had my MG ZS EV long range for only 3/4 weeks.

I've charged it to 100% on the battery / app and it's displaying 255 miles. This has happened 3 times, but one it stated 100% and was up to 273miles. Why is there a difference? Or is the weather the difference?

I don't there is a setting to increase it up to 273 miles, it just naturally stops at 255miles - apart from that one occasion? Thank you in advance. Dave
Weather and previous journeys alter the predicted range. You can reset your trip meters to get the default value, but that doesn't reflect how you drive and/or the weather conditions.

I am going to assume it's the long range model that @farmer boy has as 273 miles of range has been mentioned / quoted in the post ?.
If so, you have set your charging level to max 100% SOC in the head unit of the car ?.
Also, have you tried resetting both of your trip recorders back to zero to see if that gets you closer.
Thanks ,
I will try resetting trip recorders
Always charge to 100%

Thanks ,
I will try resetting trip recorders
Always charge to 100%
It'd doesn't mean you would get that range once reset. As said it's down to the weather, how you drive, what mode ( eco, normal or sport ), how much heating etc etc. Last Tuesday 24th Jan, my efficiency was 4.4 miles per Kwh. That's down to the fact it was a local journey ( the return journey from Harrow so battery not completely cold at start up), regen 3, on ECO with the heater only on every now and then with a quick blast ( switching to Normal for those few seconds). I wrap up well and am used to traveling without high heater settings Someone else might get significantly less as their driving may be totally different to suit their desired comfort and performance. Dont stress about the mileage predictor so much. Just monitor your miles per kwh on the screen directly in front of the steering wheel and work it out in your head. (Multiply by 68 as that's the useable kWh) to give yourself a real time range.

I don`t understand why they say that i always charge my phone to 100% and to only charge my car to 80% reduces the range and defeats the object. I never know when I may have to do a long journey so want the car ready for any eventuality,

I don`t understand why they say that i always charge my phone to 100% and to only charge my car to 80% reduces the range and defeats the object. I never know when I may have to do a long journey so want the car ready for any eventuality,
If you want to always want a 100 per cent range available, just in case you might suddenly need it, then you can. Your battery won't last as long though. Incidentally on phones if you only charge to 80 per cent most of the time the phone battery will last longer.

If you want to always want a 100 per cent range available, just in case you might suddenly need it, then you can. Your battery won't last as long though. Incidentally on phones if you only charge to 80 per cent most of the time the phone battery will last longer.
I agree, but remember if you are fully charging to 100% and then DON'T take that long trip the following morning, then your car battery is sitting brimming to 100% capacity, this type of action is recommended as bad for the long term health for your pack.

Most people replace their phones within two or three years so the longevity of the battery is not as important as it is in a car, which is expected to have a 10 year life.
FWIW if you intend to keep your phone for a long time, charging your phone battery to 80% and not letting get below 20% also extends the life if the battery.

The old "phone battery" chestnut was used by anti EV lobbyist when Teslas and LEAFs first appeared. Top Gear even did a sketch on it which got them into trouble with Tesla. For my phone I use the app "Battery Alarm", when it gets down to 20% charge it alerts you and when it's charged to 80% it alerts you again. You can set any value you want, but 20 to 80 is recommended for extended battery life.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom