• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

2022 ZS - Top/Dashcam USB port

We have a next base and plug it into the mirror USB on our trophy SR and it works perfectly so not sure what they’re on about 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's a 5v socket, exactly the same output as you'd get from the 12v adapter, so no idea why so many people think it won't work.

It's a 5v socket, exactly the same output as you'd get from the 12v adapter, so no idea why so many people think it won't work.
The voltage isn't the problem, it's the current you can draw from the socket which is the limiting factor.

We have a next base and plug it into the mirror USB on our trophy SR and it works perfectly so not sure what they’re on about 🤷🏼‍♂️
I just connected my son's nextbase 522gw to the top USB and it powered up okay, will use it for a bit too see if it works in practice.

We put a next base 522gw with rear camera in our sons car and are happy with it so was hoping we could just use the USB in the MG but I'd seen a similar comment about power requirements. Talking to the dealer they say having someone other than MG hardwire the camera would apparently invalidate the warranty and our dealer won't install one.
I have hard wired my DashCam in using a generic kit which included a Piggyback fuse holder. The workshop manager told me that hard wiring any dashcam could cause my DAB radio to keep dropping out which is complete tosh. I f this were to be the case then the Head Unit design is not fit for purpose since I had piggybacked off the 12v Aux feed and had a cable with interference suppression fitted any way.

Will it power front and back, and where did you get usb connector mine only came with cigarette lighter?

So, I've now got the nextbase 522gw with the rear view add on camera running well from the top USB port. All seems to work well, starts up when the car starts.
I have the same setup to add to my car after I pick it up today :D

Hmm … I too am considering a surveillance cam for my 2022 ZSEV Essence. A couple of conside come to mind having done a little research about this in general (but not specifically for the ZS EV).

Would prefer dual front and rear cameras, 4K, good night vision etc. Plenty of those packages about, incl. installers that come to your home if necessary.

Would seem that hardwired might be the best solution given front & rear & possibly some other misgivings & limitations about the USB power option [?]

Mostly though, it would seem that a lot of these cameras - usb or fuse box powered - turn off and are not useable while the car is parked. But apparently, there are also some than can run in a ‘sentry’ mode by using a secondary internal battery [?]

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom