205/60/r16 to 205/55/r16

Fingers

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI, I have just about worn out the original tyres, while looking for replacements I found a considerable saving between 205/55 and 205/60.
There is only 3% circumfrence difference which I would suggest is negligible.
Both Insurance and licensing Authority (I am Private Hire) have okayed it.
But the Authority have raised a concern about the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Throwing a fault which is an MOT fail (all taxis have special MOT).
Has anyone made this or a similar tyre size change and was there anny problems?

I am no expert but why would the TPMS throw a fault? If the pressure is within the sensors accepted range, all should be good. Just my thoughts.

Also, how much cheaper are the 206/55/16 tyres please?

I am no expert but why would the TPMS throw a fault? If the pressure is within the sensors accepted range, all should be good. Just my thoughts.

Also, how much cheaper are the 206/55/16 tyres please?
I don't know it was the MOT stations worry.

I was loooking at various Michelins and they we £30/£50 difference.

The smaller size is a key price point that the manufacturers compete at so prices are artificially low.
There's no problem with the TPMS of the type used on the MG, it is size agnostic. Some of the old systems that used the ABS rings might have had a problem so I suspect that is where the concern comes from.
Purely personally I would not do it as I prefer the deeper sidewalls for protection against potholes, but it depends on your ability to avoid them.

The speedometer on cars generally tell you that you are travelling faster than reality, when indicating 100kph you're actually doing less. By fitting 205/55-16 instead of 205/60-16 you will make the speedometer even more inaccurate, you'll be going even slower than the indicated speed. This can result in you holding up traffic. You will also be adding more distance driven to your odometer than the car has actually driven, cars with higher odometer readings are valued at less than those with lower odometer readings, so your car is losing value faster by fitting 55 aspect ratio instead of 60. On an ICE car it will mean the car will sit at a higher rpm with 55 aspect instead of 60 thus increasing fuel consumption, not sure if this translates to an EV using up electrons faster and reducing your range, someone may be able to confirm or deny this. Tyre prices are not only based on size but also economies of scale, 205/55-16 is a far more common fitment than 205/60-16. The actual difference in tyre height is 20.5mm.

HI, I have just about worn out the original tyres, while looking for replacements I found a considerable saving between 205/55 and 205/60.
There is only 3% circumfrence difference which I would suggest is negligible.
Both Insurance and licensing Authority (I am Private Hire) have okayed it.
But the Authority have raised a concern about the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Throwing a fault which is an MOT fail (all taxis have special MOT).
Has anyone made this or a similar tyre size change and was there anny problems?
Out of curiosity, how many miles have your tyres lasted? I will need to change my front tyres after 14k miles.

Out of curiosity, how many miles have your tyres lasted? I will need to change my front tyres after 14k miles.
Our original tyres were approaching their limit recently and we had done 33k with them by then (fronts, the rears are still fine).

The car originally had Bridgestones fitted on the front, but replaced with Continental all season tyres.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom