22kW chargers

Maciej

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Can you use 7kW cable on 22kW charger I tried using tesco pod point and it just wouldn't work so not sure if its their charger or the fact it's too strong?

Last edited by a moderator:
It will never be because the available power is greater than the used power.
What I meant is that car connects to charger it knows it's 22 kW one it then attempts to draw 22 kW but because it's connected by 7kW cable something somewhere trips as result.

car connects to charger it knows it's 22 kW one it then attempts to draw 22 kW but because it's connected by 7kW cable something somewhere trips as result.
It's possible that one day "chargers" (these AC "chargers" are technically EVSEs) will get upset about unbalanced loads and refuse to charge. But I've never seen that, and don't expect to.

Our cars can't do 22 kW, and only some European cars can do 11 kW (three phases at about 3.6 kW each). So there is no mismatch in using a single phase ("7 kW") cable on our cars.

It's possible that one day "chargers" (these AC "chargers" are technically EVSEs) will get upset about unbalanced loads and refuse to charge. But I've never seen that, and don't expect to.

Our cars can't do 22 kW, and only some European cars can do 11 kW (three phases at about 3.6 kW each). So there is no mismatch in using a single phase ("7 kW") cable on our cars.
So just to confirm you have used a 22kw charger and it worked before or are we talking theoretically?

So just to confirm you have used a 22kw charger and it worked before or are we talking theoretically?
Yes, I have used a 22 kW "charger" successfully, however mine is a Mk 1. But I expect the same for Mk2/facelift models.

Edit: Also, I'm in Australia, so we tend to get a different mix of charging station equipment. But again, I don't expect that to make any difference.

What I meant is that car connects to charger it knows it's 22 kW one it then attempts to draw 22 kW but because it's connected by 7kW cable something somewhere trips as result.
Nope, the 22 kW (Or in our case 11kW) would be on 3 phases.

A Mainland europe specced car would only draw 3.6 kW on one phase.

Also, the car would never be able to draw more than the cable and/or charger can handle.

The charger "speaks" to the car about it's capabilities and the cable has a "keying" resistor that tells the charger and car what load it is able to carry.

Whatever the lowest rated part, gets to decide the "speed".

Hi All,

The car is the factor to what cable you use. In the UK the car can only charge at 7kW single phase. The car will only accept a 7kW charge so the type 2 cable only requires to be LNE (3 core 32A rated) no matter what charger you plug into.
A 22kW charger if it is three phase 400V will only deliver 7kW single phase to the car. If you look at the pins on the cars socket L1 N E are the only ones used for the main power so only single phase.
The car is the load and is only able to draw 7kW single phase from the chargers so the standard cable is fine.

Is it worth seeking out 22kw chargers at all for the MG ZS? Is the vehicle limited to 7kw no matter what you plug it into? I had dreams of brief pitstops, have a wee, grab a coffee and on my way.

assuming the ZS ever gets delivered of course.

Yes uk cars are limited to 7kw AC even if the car would take 22kw you would need a 3 phase cable to get that speed
You can do a quick pit stop just use DC charger

Is it worth seeking out 22kw chargers at all for the MG ZS? Is the vehicle limited to 7kw no matter what you plug it into? I had dreams of brief pitstops, have a wee, grab a coffee and on my way.

assuming the ZS ever gets delivered of course.
Absolutely no point.

A brief rundown of what the MG can charge at on different chargers
3.6kw (single phase ac)charger: 3.6kw
7kw (single phase ac) charger: 7kw
11kw (three phase ac) charger: 3.6kw (11kw 3 phase divided by 3 as MG is only a single phase charger)
11kw (three phase ac) charger: 7kw (22kw 3 phase divided by 3 as MG is only a single phase charger)
50kw (dc charger): 50kw
100kw or anything higher (dc charger): approx 75kw [ Edit Coulomb: 76kW briefly, ramping down to about 40kW at 60-80% SoC ]

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom