23/73 plate registration

Nobbyplopps

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So how does registration work? At what point does the car get its registration? At the PDI once it’s in port? At the dealers? Or when it’s delivered?
My car is in the port now and being delivered to the dealers on the 20th August. The dealer asked if I want the car in august or September. If I say September will I get a 73 plate or does it all depend on when whoever registers it?

I had the same call - wife wants it now so it’s on a 23 plate. Wait 3 weeks and it would be 73 plate.

I had the same call - wife wants it now so it’s on a 23 plate. Wait 3 weeks and it would be 73 plate.
Yeah I opted to receive mine asap. As it’s a salary sacrifice vehicle I figured the future value won’t effect me at all. However if I was buying it outright then yeah I would have waited until September.

So do they actually register it in September or can they register it in august for a September number? If they have to actually register it September then how does it take until everything is all sorted?

I have found over many years, that only the majority of the public tend to view or age cars by the number prefix on the number plate.
If the attraction of owning a 73 plate on the car appeals to you more, than a car that could be five months older MAX then it’s a 23 plate.
As the plates change every six months now, it makes little difference in my mind TBA.
To the pubic buyer yes but in the motor trade, when offering a value on your trade in, have you ever wondered why they ask you the cars first date of registration ???.
Obviously they have the plate ident in front of them.
Personally I feel that a car registered either before or after the new year has a similar but a different affect.
E.G. - Buy a new car and have registered before Xmas this year and it will still be on a 73 plate, but its date of registration will be 2023 of course.
Register the car one week later on the 03/01/24 and it is still on a 73 plate BUT the first date of registration is now 2024.
When you trade in the car a few years later you have to declare the pre Xmas car as a 23.
While the post Xmas car has a 24 date of registration, giving a shorter impression of age.
Waiting for the new reg to come out on the first of August every year was a big thing back in the day, but I think this has now been diluted a lot in recent years.
So many people are using private plates these days, that aging the car from its plate has become almost impossible anyway, unless you are a total anorak 👍🤣.

So do they actually register it in September or can they register it in august for a September number? If they have to actually register it September then how does it take until everything is all sorted?
The date of registration is the date the DVLA systems process the registration - which is usually the same day (at worst next day) that the dealer submits the registration data. (It's all done online AFAIK). So if you want a September registration, then the earliest it can be registered is 01-Sep.

The date of registration is the date the DVLA systems process the registration - which is usually the same day (at worst next day) that the dealer submits the registration data. (It's all done online AFAIK). So if you want a September registration, then the earliest it can be registered is 01-Sep.
So is the actual physical number plate and number given before registration? Or do you get the number when registering and then have to get a plate made?

So is the actual physical number plate and number given before registration? Or do you get the number when registering and then have to get a plate made?

It used to be, maybe still is, that dealers get a list of plates allocated to them.
More than once, cars or bikes, I’ve had the dealer send me a list of numbers and asked if I fancied one over another.
Then it got registered.
But they knew in advance and could make plates in advance.

It used to be, maybe still is, that dealers get a list of plates allocated to them.
More than once, cars or bikes, I’ve had the dealer send me a list of numbers and asked if I fancied one over another.
Then it got registered.
Interesting. Cheers mate 👍

Then it got registered.
I got to choose my last reg plate but I pick my mg4 up 26 Oct they’ve said they’ve stopped doing that now as someone else puts the plates on somewhere else idk

you used to be able to register a couple of weeks early for a new month reg.

I got to choose my last reg plate but I pick my mg4 up 26 Oct they’ve said they’ve stopped doing that now as someone else puts the plates on somewhere else idk
I think someone said the dealers have to send the reg plates down to the docks for the PDI crew to fit before the cars are put on the delivery trucks.

After some communication dramas between the dealership and Zenith, I have been advised my car is at the dealership now and I am waiting on a delivery date. It’s already been given a 73 registration, so am I correct that it can’t even go on the road until September?

After some communication dramas between the dealership and Zenith, I have been advised my car is at the dealership now and I am waiting on a delivery date. It’s already been given a 73 registration, so am I correct that it can’t even go on the road until September?
Yep. You can't collect your car until this Friday.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back