securespark

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I can remember all my previous registration numbers.
The oldest car I owned was a 1975 Beetle.

None of them contained a Z (which prior to the current reg system could have only appeared on Ireland registered cars).

None of the cars I have owned have had an X in the reg. I didn't ever own a car registered between August 1981 and July 1982. The old registration area identifier ceased to use some area identifiers containing an X after either 1964 or 1974. But although others were in still in use, none of my cars had one. Nor did they have an X before the area identifier.

So in 40 years of owning cars, I have only owned one car, our current one, the MG4, that has contained either of these.

In fact, it has 2 of one and one of the other!

And one of my lads bought a car in January with an X in the plate.

Saw another MG4 from the same garage we got ours from and it had two of these letters in the reg.

Just amusing how you can go a lifetime without certain letters, then several come along at once.

The proverbial buses...

Has anyone here got a X or a Z in their cars' registration numbers?

Last edited:
I can remember all my previous registration numbers.
The oldest car I owned was a 1975 Beetle.

None of them contained a Z (which prior to the current reg system could have only appeared on Ireland registered cars).

None of the cars I have owned have had an X in the reg. I didn't ever own a car registered between August 1981 and July 1982. The old registration area identifier ceased to use some area identifiers containing an X after either 1964 or 1974. But although others were in still in use, none of my cars had one. Nor did they have an X before the area identifier.

So in 40 years of owning cars, I have only owned one car, our current one, the MG4, that has contained either of these.

In fact, it has 2 of one and one of the other!

And one of my lads bought a car in January with an X in the plate.

Saw another MG4 from the same garage we got ours from and it had two of these letters in the reg.

Just amusing how you can go a lifetime without certain letters, then several come along at once.

The proverbial buses...

Has anyone here got a X or a Z in their cars' registration numbers?
I think perhaps you need to get out more :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Collecting our X power today and that has 2 X’s in the reg (although we did select that plate from the list provided by the dealer!)

Yep. Two Xs in mine as well (I didn’t have the opportunity to choose). I bought it from a Yorkshire garage, so maybe Yorkshire registrations begin YX?
YX is Beverly Yorkshire.

Here is a list of the regional identifiers if anyone's interested
1711697077985.png

1711697114194.png

1711697154192.png

1711697215511.png

I remember back in 2007 they change the SN prefix to TN in Scotland as they though folk should not be seen with SNOT (SN07) on their reg no

M covers Manchester and Merseyside. But I think in these areas it's random as to which second letter you get.

Ours begins MC, another MG4 I have seen in our area begins MT and they were both registered at the same dealer.

A few miles from this dealer and you're in the Deeside registration area (D).

It does seem like some of the registration boundaries are a bit odd.
We live in the M registration area. A few miles down the road in Poynton, my Ma bought a Lada new in 1975 with the plate starting KMB. MB is Cheshire. . Indeed, Poynton is administered by Cheshire East Council.

However, drive down the A523 to Macclesfield (still Cheshire East Council) and new cars there seem to be registered on an M, not a D.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back