245 Mile Trip

Lots of comments about avoiding motorways to increase range.
Surely it is not compulsory to drive at 70mph (plus) on motorways and by keeping a reasonable rate of progress a good range should be achievable.
After all you are avoiding the slowing/acceleration due to junctions, roundabouts etc that you have on minor roads.
Totally agree. When I do use MWays I keep to no more than 65mph.

With the introduction of “Intelligent Motorways” I try and stay well away from them.

You're missing the point though, people will buy these cars and will drive them at 70mph, because that is what they've always done. They'll then moan that the range isn't as advertised. If there was more honesty about the actual range at those speeds that might mitigate against that.

Sometimes people don't want an economy run, they just want to get to work or wherever they're going with the least faff. To be quite honest I find sitting at 60-65mph fighting with the hgvs more exhausting than keeping pace with the rest of the traffic on a lot of occasions.

You're missing the point though, people will buy these cars and will drive them at 70mph, because that is what they've always done. They'll then moan that the range isn't as advertised. If there was more honesty about the actual range at those speeds that might mitigate against that.

Sometimes people don't want an economy run, they just want to get to work or wherever they're going with the least faff. To be quite honest I find sitting at 60-65mph fighting with the hgvs more exhausting than keeping pace with the rest of the traffic on a lot of occasions.
I drove a petrol car all these years and its my first experience with an BEV car. I quite agree with you @Merry, a lot of times we just want to go about doing the normal 70mph on motorways and not be too bothered about the range and the dwindling battery at higher speeds and conserving energy etc. But I also think its more of a mindset change that comes with experience and learning by the day. Overtime I think we would begin to accept how things work with an EV car and understand the dynamics more and make use of it in our driving style and preferences. I am experiencing that everyday when driving and also learning from so many members here and it helps me immensely to learn and adapt.

Everyone to their own and I would never think of advising anyone as to how they drive their car. I was merely offering advice to someone contemplating a longer journey. [...]
And any tips are gratefully received! I accept a certain amount will not only be down to speed and the car, but also individual driving skill. It isn't unique to BEV to not achieve published efficiency.

When the car does materialise, I'll do several motorway runs, as well as just town/city driving to see how close I get to advertised ranges for those settings. If nothing else it'll be fun, and at least I'll start my subsequent journies with realistic expectations. 100 days to go (approximately 😫)

Lots of comments about avoiding motorways to increase range.
Surely it is not compulsory to drive at 70mph (plus) on motorways and by keeping a reasonable rate of progress a good range should be achievable.
After all you are avoiding the slowing/acceleration due to junctions, roundabouts etc that you have on minor roads.
Agreed, I find travelling at around 62 Mph is a good compromise of keeping up with the large lorries and helps with the saving on the range.
This is not just indicative of EV's - The same applies to ICE models.
More speed less MPG !.
However most ICE drivers don't really care, because they are dragging around a HUGE amount of surplus energy in there fossil tanks.
Has anybody told them it is £1.50 a litre now ???? :ROFLMAO: .
They may arrive at the next set of traffic lights at the same time as myself, but there wallet will feel a little lighter at the end of the week.

Last edited:
Has anybody told them it is £1.50 a litre now ???? :ROFLMAO: .
They may arrive at the next set of traffic lights at the same time as myself, but there wallet will feel a little lighter at the end of the week.
And don't tell them that only 49 pence of that £1.50 makes the car move. 90 pence worth literally goes up in smoke. :)

But if you're not in the outside lane doing 80mph, you're treated like a social misfit. :LOL:

Most drivers seem to think that 70mph is a target to aim for, not the max limit. Personally I am happy plodding along at 55mph I am constantly aware of HGV’s creeping upon me. having been a continental driver for 20 years. Only 20 minutes extra over 100 miles. Then I have to stop for a pee so I take a small flask and a sausage rolll this will pass the time whilst waiting to charge up. One of the benefits of being retired 😃 just need the car to arrive 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Most drivers seem to think that 70mph is a target to aim for, not the max limit. Personally I am happy plodding along at 55mph I am constantly aware of HGV’s creeping upon me. having been a continental driver for 20 years. Only 20 minutes extra over 100 miles. Then I have to stop for a pee so I take a small flask and a sausage rolll this will pass the time whilst waiting to charge up. One of the benefits of being retired 😃 just need the car to arrive 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

" Then I have to stop for a pee so I take a small flask"
How much pee can you get in a small flask?

I think traveling at 55mph on the motorway in a car is causing HGVs to have to pull out to overtake as they're restricted to 56mph. You should speed up a bit to prevent this.
I note that in my MG5 the Speedo is spot on, whereas all my previous ice cars have been about 10% too fast. So previously when doing 70 it would have been about 64, so doing a steady 65 is in reality slightly faster!

I have done about 3000 miles in my SR. During that time I have experimented with different maintained speeds. I haven’t found a huge variance between maintaining 60 and 70 mph. What I have found is the acceleration level to attain these speeds does make a difference. If you gradually build up to 60 or 70 the range is pretty much the same. if you use fast acceleration to achieve those speeds then you see the difference in range. But even then I am talking about 150 miles rather than 134 miles on a full charge during the winter. So roughly 10% drop. My 150 or 134 will have cost me about £3.50 @ the EV home charge rate so I am looking at saving 35p over this distance. Seems almost negligible to me.
So now I don’t even think about it and just drive how the mood takes me.

I have done about 3000 miles in my SR. During that time I have experimented with different maintained speeds. I haven’t found a huge variance between maintaining 60 and 70 mph. What I have found is the acceleration level to attain these speeds does make a difference. If you gradually build up to 60 or 70 the range is pretty much the same. if you use fast acceleration to achieve those speeds then you see the difference in range. But even then I am talking about 150 miles rather than 134 miles on a full charge during the winter. So roughly 10% drop. My 150 or 134 will have cost me about £3.50 @ the EV home charge rate so I am looking at saving 35p over this distance. Seems almost negligible to me.
So now I don’t even think about it and just drive how the mood takes me.
Enjoying the car should always come first and any ways of saving range is just a bonus 🤣.

Really haven't done any maths. And yet to drive an ev, get mine soon. But my head is telling me drive for 3 hours at 60 miles an hour and go (not get) a distance of 180 miles and possibly don't need a charge . Or 3 hours at 70 miles an hour and go 210 miles but time for a stop and a recharge. So if time rather than cost is your driving factor MAY not make too much difference. We need someone who is doing the same 300 mile trip to do it fast and slow and post on here observations.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom