245 Mile Trip

Even with someone doing a regular trip there are numerous factors that could impact the result. Number of passengers, spare wheel, tools, wind speed and direction, shopping, tyre pressures, driving style, roadworks, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc etc etc. From experience I plan at least three stops for each long journey. First great if it works but second one if not. Third just in case I am getting better Miles per KW hr than I thought.

Hi
Just a bit of food for thought
I’ve just done a 66 mile round trip to York (been quad biking a Christmas present from my wife) in my mg5 long range
10 miles of which was going to and from the motorway A & B roads
The rest motorways @ 70mph with MG PILOT ,heating and sat nav on and avaraged 3.3 kWh 😃👍🏻
I worked it out roughly I used 25% battery so let’s say 15 kw @ 25p/kwh at my local pod point charger that’s £3.75 for the trip
Or 2.52 litres of petrol don’t think that would have got me far in an old car
😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
I worked it out roughly I used 25% battery so let’s say 15 kw @ 25p/kwh at my local pod point charger that’s £3.75 for the trip
Or 2.52 litres of petrol do think that would have got me far in an old car
😂😂😂😂
I had to reread that a few times, but get what you're saying now.
Yep, 50mpg ICE would have got about 33 miles on 2.5 litres of petrol.

Made rare visit our local petrol station today, as I required petrol for my gardening equipment.
Pulled up at the pump and took my 5 Litre petrol can from the boot.
I find it necessary to use the higher grade E5 fuel now, so not cheap.
Started filling the can and what felt like seconds, it was full.
Looked at the price total on the pump ............. £9.74 !!!!!!.
I could be seen shaking my head all the way home.
When owning an EV it is easy to become disconnected from the price of fuel these days.

Last edited:
Made rare visit our local petrol station today, as I required petrol for my gardening equipment.
Pulled up at the pump and took my 5 Litre petrol can from the boot.
I find it necessary to use the higher grade E10 fuel now, so not cheap.
Started filling the can and what felt like seconds, it was full.
Looked at the price total on the pump ............. £9.74 !!!!!!.
I could be seen shaking my head all the way home.
When owning an EV it is easy to become disconnected from the price of fuel these days.
I bought a battery powered mower and strimmer during lockdown. You've made me very glad I did. :)

I bought a battery powered mower and strimmer during lockdown. You've made me very glad I did. :)
I’m rechargeable in many ways about the house apart from the MG5. I also have a rechargeable mower, hedge cutter, strimmer, beard trimmer, several torches, worklights and many rechargeable NimH batteries for all sorts of things!

Last edited:
109 for me😎
So we are likely waiting on the same slow boat from China! All I hope is that it's not pushed back to a point where I have to ask for a '23 plate 😅

Roughly 95 days to go, and then fingers crossed we'll be in a position to contribute something more to threads like these 🙏

I take my hat off to you guys who are waiting delivery of your car. I am probably the most impatient of people when shopping and walk out of a shop if not served pretty quickly. I have always bought cars on the basis of what is available hence mine was pre registered and available on day of viewing and driving which I bought on the spot. I had no idea about the waiting times when I bought mine, I would never have ordered one with an unknown lead time. I would have preferred the LR but it was the SR that was available so bird in hand worth two in the bush, at least for 6 months or so. Well done to those at the front of the line when patience was being handed out, clearly I was very near the back!

My dealer has a 71 Plate Trophy SR preregistration with limited miles on it as well. It’s in the nice darker blue colour.

I take my hat off to you guys who are waiting delivery of your car. I am probably the most impatient of people when shopping and walk out of a shop if not served pretty quickly. I have always bought cars on the basis of what is available hence mine was pre registered and available on day of viewing and driving which I bought on the spot. I had no idea about the waiting times when I bought mine, I would never have ordered one with an unknown lead time. I would have preferred the LR but it was the SR that was available so bird in hand worth two in the bush, at least for 6 months or so. Well done to those at the front of the line when patience was being handed out, clearly I was very near the back!
😄 I can't claim to have patience across the board.

Similar to you if I walk into a shop and there's a long queue, I will walk right out again - I just hate the feeling of standing about wasting time.

With purchases like this though, I just know I wouldn't be happy unless I get exactly what I want, so I just adopt the view of enjoying the anticipation. It also helped that the state of the market was clear, so I already had my mind set that it could be 6+ months wait. Not getting a new car instantly is 1st world problems, and I know I'll be glad when it does eventually arrive.

At the same time I totally understand your approach - being flexible is a great thing! It means you get to take up a good opportunity and have what you want sooner, which is a nice feeling 🙂

Update if you were following the original post in this thread:

I actually got around to doing the 245 mile trip I had planned to do a few weeks ago.

Fully charged to 100% and off to Kingston-Upon-Thames and back.

View attachment 7476

Impressive result!

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom