3 clicks, wait ages, charge cancels as it starts

gavlar123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
BP Pulse, 50kw ccs, after the first 2 green ticks, there's a series of clicking noises, 3 of them, similar to that of a cricket rubbing it's legs together.

I then wait 15 or 20 seconds, at which point the charge starts, but immediately shuts down.

I can get a charge using the type 2 socket, but after waiting for 90 seconds, it had not registered 0.10 of a kW, and I'm not sitting in my car till 3am tomorrow morning.

Anybody else had this issue? If so... what gives???

I've got a 60 mile range, and every unit I try does the same thing.

As per previous post, sounds like your charging port doesn't like communicating properly with BP Pulse points. It's to do with the BMS charging port firmware being out of date.

Try finding a Instavolt or Shell Recharge and try there until you can get it to a dealer for them to check your charging port has the newest firmware installed.

As per previous post, sounds like your charging port doesn't like communicating properly with BP Pulse points. It's to do with the BMS charging port firmware being out of date.

Try finding a Instavolt or Shell Recharge and try there until you can get it to a dealer for them to check your charging port has the newest firmware installed.
I've got a 3 pin plug trickle charger at home and it's doing the same thing there, so I've got 60 miles until it dies, it won't charge anywhere

Then get it to a dealer ASAP. If the car won't charge there's nothing you can do, only thing you could try, would be gently push the charging cable in until you hear it latch, could be a misalignment or bad connector.

Or try cleaning the top 2 pins with a cotton bud
Screenshot_20230104-001908.png

Then get it to a dealer ASAP. If the car won't charge there's nothing you can do, only thing you could try, would be gently push the charging cable in until you hear it latch, could be a misalignment or bad connector.
The charger goes in as normal.

Usually I get one crunchy click sound prior to it charging, but now it's doing it 3 or 4 times with no charge.

The dashboard says connected but not charging, so it's defo connected

It charged this afternoon but kicked me off at about 22kw... since then, every attempt has been void

It charged this afternoon but kicked me off at about 22kw... since then, every attempt has been void
As said before, sounds like an issues with the charging port firmware.

Get it to a dealer before it dies. If it's not charging there's no magic fix from the forums apart from the 2 you've been provided with.

71 plate could be last of the old shape, start of the new face lift model ??.
Op not aware of any delay / timer features, would maybe suggest a Gen 1 model then ?.
Has the car got the larger black / chrome lift up grill, that exposes the charge port socket behind, or does the car have the much smaller body coloured hinged, charge port door set into the front bumper cover ?.
Do you have the MG Ismart App on your phone that will allow you to control features of the car.
If not, just to clarify you then have the original Gen 1 ZS EV model and NOT the Gen 2 facelift model.
It helps to know what model we are dealing with here 👍.

Last edited:
71 plate could be last of the old shape, start if the face lift model ??.
Op not aware of any delay / timer features, would maybe suggest a Gen 1 model then ?.
Has the car got the larger black / chrome lift up grill, that exposes the charge port socket behind, or does the car have the much smaller body coloured hinged, charge port door set into the front bumper cover ?.
Do you have the MG Ismart App on your phone that will allow you to control features of the car.
If not, just to clarify you then have the original Gen 1 ZS EV model and NOT the Gen 2 facelift model.
It helps to know what model we are dealing with here 👍.
Come to think of it there where no 71 standard range models ?

Come to think of it there where no 71 standard range models ?
Yeah - Now you mention it, I have seen only one blue 71 plate facelift model on the road.
It must have been one of the first X Demo Trophy Connect models 👍.
Sounding like a Gen 1 original model then ?.
The quoted 170 miles of predicted range, through me a bit of course ?.
Trips not reset in a while I suspect at this time of the year.
It’s been a long day !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom