Chris698

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi.

I collected my MG4 last week and I'm just trying to get my head around the inner workings of the chargers etc.

My work has a 3 phase 16amp charger and obviously the MG4 is single phase charging.

My cable is a 32A single phase type 2.

Am I right in assuming the maximum charge speed I'll get with this set up is 3.6ish kw/h? (The 16A through the one phase).

If so is there any cables on the market that act as a three phase to a single phase so I can get more power down the one phase of the mg4 for faster charging?

Sorry if this makes zero sense I'm still figuring it out.

Thank you.

Hi.

I collected my MG4 last week and I'm just trying to get my head around the inner workings of the chargers etc.

My work has a 3 phase 16amp charger and obviously the MG4 is single phase charging.

My cable is a 32A single phase type 2.

Am I right in assuming the maximum charge speed I'll get with this set up is 3.6ish kw/h? (The 16A through the one phase).
Yes, you'll get 3.6kW, or a bit less after losses.
If so is there any cables on the market that act as a three phase to a single phase so I can get more power down the one phase of the mg4 for faster charging?
Not to get a 3-phase 16A charger to combine phases into a single one - the phases are different so you can't splice them together.

If you had a 32A 3-phase cable and 32A 3-phase charger you'd get the full 7kW.
Sorry if this makes zero sense I'm still figuring it out.

Thank you.
It makes sense.

Hi, I have a 400V 3 phase 16A per phase, I go up to 11kW (10.5 exactly) at my house.

Last edited by a moderator:
My MG4 is definitely only a single phase on board charger so I'm guessing no matter what I do I'll only get 3.6ish kW if the charger is 16amp. I found a charger that's called "three phase to single phase" but guessing it won't do what I'm wanting it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 527 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel