32 Amp Type 2 cable slow charging

bogdim

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone,

I had the type 2 cable since I bought the car and it used to charge at 7.2-7.4 kW.
Over last month I noticed the charging speed has dropped to about 3kW.
I tried it at work and the Tesco Podpoit with similar results
I know it's not a problem with the car, because I can charge at 7.2 kW with the home charger that has its own attached cable.
Has anyone experienced slow charging with a type 2 cable?
I noticed the CP pin is further back than the PP pin on the plug that goes in the charger
The second photo shows the voltage and amps when charging with the type 2 cable: 381*8 = 3kW

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the pp pin is in the correct position as it is the last to make contact for the car to request power.
Can you get someone else to check out your cable?

Yeah the deep pin is set that way to stop you being able to daisy chain charger cables and so that the connection to the car is cut before the live pins come away from the plastic housing.

Hard to see, but it looks like your type 2 is a single phase cable (no pins on L2/L3). If you connect this to a 10kW 3 phase supply, L1 is limited to 3kW; you need to find a 22kW 3phase or 7kW single phase AC supply to improve things…

Assuming your using the same Podpoint(Tesco/Lidl) 7kw chargepoint to compare (before/after). I query it as some guy I pulled up next to recently was whining the Kw was low? ok.... it was a Tesla!

Hi everyone,

I had the type 2 cable since I bought the car and it used to charge at 7.2-7.4 kW.
Over last month I noticed the charging speed has dropped to about 3kW.
I tried it at work and the Tesco Podpoit with similar results
I know it's not a problem with the car, because I can charge at 7.2 kW with the home charger that has its own attached cable.
Has anyone experienced slow charging with a type 2 cable?
I noticed the CP pin is further back than the PP pin on the plug that goes in the charger
The second photo shows the voltage and amps when charging with the type 2 cable: 381*8 = 3kW

My ZS has always charged at a max of about 3.1 kW on the Rolec charger, is this normal as all the chargers for sale on eBay seem to be 7kW.

You can change the output on some models using dip switches inside. Try the search bar.

My ZS has always charged at a max of about 3.1 Kw on the Rolec charger, is this normal as all the chargers for sale on eBay seem to be 7Kw
Check your cable, is at a 32 amp or 16 amp cable or even a 3-phase cable. There should be marking on the cable.
If it's 16 amp then that's all you will get, if it's a 3-phase then that's about all you will get on 1 of the phases (your house is probably only single phase and possibly the car too).

Assuming your using the same Podpoint(Tesco/Lidl) 7kw chargepoint to compare (before/after). I query it as some guy I pulled up next to recently was whining the Kw was low? ok.... it was a Tesla!
The problem with public chargers is they might say 7/11/22kW on them, (Which is usually what that charge point is rated for) but you have no idea of how they're configured or what size power feed/load sharing setup they may have, so there's no guarantee they can actually deliver that.

The problem with public chargers is they might say 7/11/22kW on them, (Which is usually what that charge point is rated for) but you have no idea of how they're configured or what size power feed/load sharing setup they may have, so there's no guarantee they can actually deliver that.
This is true plus also some loss through the cable.

MG 5 FL has onboard 11kW (max I can pull from AC "charger"). When I am using a 22 kW charger I will get an average of about 9.7kW.

Attachments

• IMG_3151.png
    IMG_3151.png
    525.8 KB · Views: 36
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom