3D Printed wall charger cable holster/hanger

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm going to start designing and then printing a wall holster.
Any suggestions for what a good design would be, or photos of your installs would be useful.

I'm getting the ohme charger, so it will be for that if it's any different to others.

My thinking is:
do I want it to plug in from the front (like most seem to) as they then seem to stick out, or should I do it so it goes in from the side (parallel to the wall)
Integrated hook like bit for the cable to coil onto
A bit of an overhang over the plug to keep the water off
A printed integrated MG logo!?!???
Glow in the dark white material or more subtle black!

I'm thinking to print a housing for the main ohme block part too. May I should put the holder and hook on top of that, so that it loops around it....

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 22.01.59.png

First quick attempt...

I like that. Not bad for 1st attempt! Have you considered a nice self contained wall box with the MG logo on the front? Getting the MG to light up would be cool!

I never use the holster on my wallbox simply because it sticks out at the front making it awkward to walk between it and the parked car.

I never use the holster on my wallbox simply because it sticks out at the front making it awkward to walk between it and the parked car.
That's what I've been thinking from various that I've seen - they do normally stick out a fair bit.

How many loops/coils for the cable usually??

I like that. Not bad for 1st attempt! Have you considered a nice self contained wall box with the MG logo on the front? Getting the MG to light up would be cool!
I've got another idea, will try and do it in CAD quickly.

How about the MG logo printed in glow in the dark material and the rest in plain!?

I'm sure there's a post around here somewhere about someone - not a member I don't think - who sells a 3D printed, side mounting holder for the charging gun.

Edit - that's not to take anything away from the OP. I think that looks cool indeed!

Hi Jody,

I have just had an OHME charger fitted and agree with you that the gun sticks out too far.

I watched Tom's Manshed YouTube video on his modification to turn bracket to the side so gun does not stick out.

Hope Tom's ok as I've attached some screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210325-222407_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210325-222407_YouTube.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot_20210325-222533_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210325-222533_YouTube.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Screenshot_20210325-222512_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210325-222512_YouTube.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_20210325-222537_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210325-222537_YouTube.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 20210224_124405.jpg
    20210224_124405.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 246
Hi Jody,

Well done you. I look forward to seeing the finished article and I am sure lots of people (myself included) will want to buy one from you.
Regards,
Iain

You will need to print it in ASA or abs for use out side I think. don't forget your screw holes and if you would like me to try printing at my end I'd be happy to help test. It'll be nice to print something on my Ender that's not shelf clutter for the kids. 🤣

You will need to print it in ASA or abs for use out side I think. don't forget your screw holes and if you would like me to try printing at my end I'd be happy to help test. It'll be nice to print something on my Ender that's not shelf clutter for the kids. 🤣
ASA and ABS would last longer outside but are more difficult to print with due to the higher temperatures, likely to burn any PTFE tubing in the printer's hot end.
PLA is biodegradable so won't last as long outside but is easier to print, is eco friendly and more suitable for printing the prototypes at least, if not the finished article.

I pretty much print everything I make in PLA, it's just easier. It'd last a good 5 years I'd have thought outside.

Probably no one here wants one for their ZS EV lol - but I adapted the lego head door knobs I make for someone who wanted a gear knob - I do lego head tyre valve caps too!
IMG_4141.JPG
IMG_3969.JPG

Hi Jody,

I have just had an OHME charger fitted and agree with you that the gun sticks out too far.

I watched Tom's Manshed YouTube video on his modification to turn bracket to the side so gun does not stick out.

Hope Tom's ok as I've attached some screenshots.
Can I ask you as you've got the ohme already.

How long is the cable from the box to the gun?
How many loops/coils do you suggest?
Don't suppose you could measure the cable diameter could you?

I'm thinking...
A "box" surround for the ohme charger box, then above/joined to it, a cable hook thing, then above that/joined on, the holster facing to the side....
(ignore the design on the left that was my first go, just trying to get the socket snug at moment)

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 20.45.23.png

I'll double check the cable tomorrow but its same thickness as a normal type 2 from what I can tell.

Standard 5 m length

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-210933_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210326-210933_Drive.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 216
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 21.28.16.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 21.28.00.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 21.27.48.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 21.27.33.png

Needs a little more finessing esp around the holster, but what do you think for a concept?

Fits over the ohme box - screen and led can be seen.
3.5 loops of cable, then gun in the holster.

Shame I can't quickly/easily add what the cable & gun would look like to the design!

(Need to add the MG logo too!)

Looks good m8.

Dont think design would fit on mine as box is under my window sill therefore not enough space above to wrap cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-214727_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210326-214727_Gallery.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 224
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 22.33.35.png

I think this looks better now. Needs the holster on top obvs
5m cable - 3.5 coils should do it.
Perfectly rounded slots to give the exact coil circumference for 3.5 of 5m cable!

@Davemac278 hmm wouldn't quite fit yours in this arrangement.

Maybe I'm going OTT with the 3 slots for the cable and should just have 1 slot that is deep enough for 3 lots of cable... would be less room taken up above the box then!

You also have to take account of the fact that the cable comes into the ohme unit at the top and out the bottom so current design might not go flush to wall.

I personally would be happy with a simplified side mounting bracket that can be secured to the wall for the gun and we can still wrap the cable around the original hook already fitted.

Or is it possible to design your unit as an adapter that would fit into original holster but have a sideways holster. (That might still stick out too far and defeat the purpose)

View attachment 2466View attachment 2467View attachment 2468View attachment 2469

Needs a little more finessing esp around the holster, but what do you think for a concept?

Fits over the ohme box - screen and led can be seen.
3.5 loops of cable, then gun in the holster.

Shame I can't quickly/easily add what the cable & gun would look like to the design!

(Need to add the MG logo too!)
I think the ohme has a cable top and bottom which may foul, also could it cause the ohme to over heat? I do wish I could knock designs up as quick as you do.

(Edit home to ohme)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom