70mph Toys

mj224

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Are we indulging in bigger toys for the boys (ladies excuse me)...

Electric power excluded, the ultimate boys toy for most us anyway, is the gadget that has radar brakes, cruise control and lane recognition. We can now "relax" at the wheel whilst hurtling along the motorway at 70mph.

But is this driving? As petrol heads did we not enjoy the gear changing (6 forward in my RX8!!), hard braking, fast acceleration, and seeing how fast one could get around a corner....the price of petrol (don't count diesel, too smelly and horrible noise) was worth every penny. And ultimately burning off the car beside you at the lights.......

Now, we are effectively operating a computer on wheels, and just don't mention range anxiety. Beginning to wonder whether its worth it... I have an MGF in garage, quite economical, and warm, and fun to drive, and a petrol station every few miles that HAS petrol......Also a tape music palyer, so I can dig out all those old tapes with excellent music........Just have to have a hoist to get me out of it........................

Hey ho...Progress.............

If anything I feel the opposite - driving ICE vehicles just feels utterly futile unless it's something very special.

If it was the other way round and If we’d started with electric cars and were asked to drive a ICE car we’d laugh at it.

I agree with both replies.... range anxiety only exists if you let it...I agree it is a slight shift of thought when planning journies which may have return range longer than range of vehicle but my advice is get a vehice with a range that can generally get you back home ...Personally I think I have waved goodbye to purchasing a petrol/diesel car

If you want the fun you describe, move to two wheels (ICE or electric). That's when you know what acceleration is without a remortgage! 😲 Tell 'em @Cocijo...

I quite like driving the EV, even the MG ZS EV can surprise most things on four wheels away from the lights, for a little while anyway ;)

When researching EVs prior to my purchase, for a laugh I specified an all singing, all dancing Tesla that was the quickest they offered. You can guess at how much that was, but I'd love to have that level of performance (faster than most bikes too, BTW)!

The only thing that worries me a little about EVs is when they all get connected and networked with each other - that will truly take away any fun there is in driving.

My original post was written with a bit of tongue in cheek. But my point was we are changing from driving something that you had to drive, not something that allows you to get distracted with bells and whistles.

Of course, virtually no pollution is the great winner, that's if you buy your power from rechargeables. That is the real difference, and I am pleased to be there, and have been there for several years now :D

My original post was written with a bit of tongue in cheek. But my point was we are changing from driving something that you had to drive, not something that allows you to get distracted with bells and whistles.

Of course, virtually no pollution is the great winner, that's if you buy your power from rechargeables. That is the real difference, and I am pleased to be there, and have been there for several years now :D
But we can always turn the bells and whistles off...

I had an old Audi S8, an amazing car even with all the safety malarkey turned on...but the grins when you turned them off 😁😁😁😁

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom