You CAN road trip an SE SR

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So here's the plan. Regular readers may remember that I drove to Sussex and back (from central Scotland) last August to attend the Glyndebourne Festival. I enjoyed it so much that I'm going back in May this year (and again in August), and the May trip has also diversified.

Day one, 21st May. West Linton to Portslade, 450 miles. Drop cat at cattery and get going about 10 am. I haven't quite decided on charging stops, because a lot depends on how much the weather warms up in the next three weeks. I can certainly do it in three, but ABRP sometimes suggests four would actually be quicker. I'm inclined to aim for Forton as the first stop, even though the service station there is a dump, because it now has decent chargers and at 148 miles it's about the right distance. It will also be lunch-time. After that, who knows? Every time I ask ABRP I get a different answer, possibly because there are now so many options.

I'm looking at the NEC hub at Birmingham as a possible second stop, but it is BP Pulse, and did I read somewhere that these chargers don't like MG4s and should be avoided? Any advice on this? I don't want to arrive there low and then discover that I can't get a charge. If I did charge there I could get as far as the Cobham Ionitys for the third stop. That's less than 50 miles from my destination, but it would give me a choice of whether to take on just enough to get me there, or to stay longer to arrive at a higher SoC, depending on how the time is going.

Day 2, 22nd May. Portslade to Glyndebourne and back. That's only a 32-mile round trip. My main aim is to arrive at Glyndbourne with enough charge so that I can get all the way to 100% on the destination chargers there, in the time I'll be there. That probably means getting there above 40%, so if I haven't charged up far enough at my third stop on day one, I'll have to make a trip to a rapid charger at Portslade in the morning before I go. Again, the only ultrarapid in the neighbourhood is a BP Pulse (which was broken last time I was there). Should I avoid, and go to the 50 kw Blink charger which I know will talk to my car?

Day 3, 23rd May. I expect I'll take my hosts out to dinner somewhere, so I'll use a bit more charge. Not sure if it will be worth asking them if I can granny-charge overnight to get back to 100% for the next day, I suppose I could.

Day 4, 24th May. Portslade to Halifax, 273 miles. ABRP suggests a couple of short stops, even starting at 100%, which I suppose makes sense. Anyway, no pressure, plenty options, and when I get there I can charge up to 100% on the type 2 chargers helpfully situated literally 50 yards from my friends' front door.

Seriously, how lucky am I? The house in the background there is my friends' house. Otherwise, Halifax is a desert of single Genie-point chargers at various supermarkets, but I should coco. Sure, the damn things are ICEd, but people do move on, and I can just lurk and maybe have a cathartic row with someone when they get back to their dinosaur-juice-mobile which is parked where it shouldn't be.

1714398877298.png

Day 5, 25th May. Day out at the Everything Electric North show at Harrogate. My friend's husband is a bit of a petrol-head, a Merc man, but he's not closed-minded. He refused to have a go at driving Caliban last year, but maybe he can be tempted to try something at the show. I would imagine Mercedes might have a presence with some of their electric models. Anyway, what shouldn't I miss? The round trip is anything from 70 to 100 miles depending on which way you go, but I shouldn't need to charge at all. Unless they have some cheap chargers in the car park, in which case I might avail myself. But I'll be back at the Halifax destination chargers in the evening anyway, so back up to 100%.

Day 6, 26th May. Who knows. Sunday driving in the Yorkshire dales, with a nice stop at a pleasant eatery. Or two. Back to these incredibly convenient type 2 chargers to get back to 100% before day 7.

Day 7, 27th May. Halifax to West Linton, 186 miles. This is getting quite routine. Coming home after Christmas in the cold I had a 40-minute stop at the Carlisle Ionitys, but in late May I should only need a few minutes. (Yes I know I could have done this without a charge if I'd bought the LR, but I like the SR, so there.) Carlisle, Gretna or Annandale Water are all within range. And get this, I'm no longer needing to think, "better charge up more than I really need to get home, because if I arrive on 10% it's going to take more than 24 hours to charge" - because by then I should have had my Zappi installed. And be able to take advantage of all the sunshine we should be having by then to charge not just fast, but free.

Well, that's the plan. Let's see if it survives contact with the enemy. I'll keep you posted.

I used a bp-pulse 150kW charger in Hemel Hempstead after the bp-pulse type 2 chargers at the hotel failed to work (network error the app said). The previous car at the 150kW charger failed to get anything but I thought I'd have a go and it worked. It's expensive though!

Have you seen that there are Tesla chargers at Blythe Valley Park, Solihull, a few miles down from the NEC? Because they show up on the Tesla map and I don't have a Tesla I assume they are open to all even though they are at a Tesla service centre.

Rolfe, you mention GeniePoint chargers in Halifax. In my experience and Trust Pilot reviews, they are unreliable.
EDIT - I've just checked the recent Trust Pilot reviews - they are all one star!
Looking at the BPPulse reviews, they are trying to get their act together.

Last edited:
So here's the plan. Regular readers may remember that I drove to Sussex and back (from central Scotland) last August to attend the Glyndebourne Festival. I enjoyed it so much that I'm going back in May this year (and again in August), and the May trip has also diversified.

Day one, 21st May. West Linton to Portslade, 450 miles. Drop cat at cattery and get going about 10 am. I haven't quite decided on charging stops, because a lot depends on how much the weather warms up in the next three weeks. I can certainly do it in three, but ABRP sometimes suggests four would actually be quicker. I'm inclined to aim for Forton as the first stop, even though the service station there is a dump, because it now has decent chargers and at 148 miles it's about the right distance. It will also be lunch-time. After that, who knows? Every time I ask ABRP I get a different answer, possibly because there are now so many options.

I'm looking at the NEC hub at Birmingham as a possible second stop, but it is BP Pulse, and did I read somewhere that these chargers don't like MG4s and should be avoided? Any advice on this? I don't want to arrive there low and then discover that I can't get a charge. If I did charge there I could get as far as the Cobham Ionitys for the third stop. That's less than 50 miles from my destination, but it would give me a choice of whether to take on just enough to get me there, or to stay longer to arrive at a higher SoC, depending on how the time is going.

Day 2, 22nd May. Portslade to Glyndebourne and back. That's only a 32-mile round trip. My main aim is to arrive at Glyndbourne with enough charge so that I can get all the way to 100% on the destination chargers there, in the time I'll be there. That probably means getting there above 40%, so if I haven't charged up far enough at my third stop on day one, I'll have to make a trip to a rapid charger at Portslade in the morning before I go. Again, the only ultrarapid in the neighbourhood is a BP Pulse (which was broken last time I was there). Should I avoid, and go to the 50 kw Blink charger which I know will talk to my car?

Day 3, 23rd May. I expect I'll take my hosts out to dinner somewhere, so I'll use a bit more charge. Not sure if it will be worth asking them if I can granny-charge overnight to get back to 100% for the next day, I suppose I could.

Day 4, 24th May. Portslade to Halifax, 273 miles. ABRP suggests a couple of short stops, even starting at 100%, which I suppose makes sense. Anyway, no pressure, plenty options, and when I get there I can charge up to 100% on the type 2 chargers helpfully situated literally 50 yards from my friends' front door.

Seriously, how lucky am I? The house in the background there is my friends' house. Otherwise, Halifax is a desert of single Genie-point chargers at various supermarkets, but I should coco. Sure, the damn things are ICEd, but people do move on, and I can just lurk and maybe have a cathartic row with someone when they get back to their dinosaur-juice-mobile which is parked where it shouldn't be.

View attachment 26137

Day 5, 25th May. Day out at the Everything Electric North show at Harrogate. My friend's husband is a bit of a petrol-head, a Merc man, but he's not closed-minded. He refused to have a go at driving Caliban last year, but maybe he can be tempted to try something at the show. I would imagine Mercedes might have a presence with some of their electric models. Anyway, what shouldn't I miss? The round trip is anything from 70 to 100 miles depending on which way you go, but I shouldn't need to charge at all. Unless they have some cheap chargers in the car park, in which case I might avail myself. But I'll be back at the Halifax destination chargers in the evening anyway, so back up to 100%.

Day 6, 26th May. Who knows. Sunday driving in the Yorkshire dales, with a nice stop at a pleasant eatery. Or two. Back to these incredibly convenient type 2 chargers to get back to 100% before day 7.

Day 7, 27th May. Halifax to West Linton, 186 miles. This is getting quite routine. Coming home after Christmas in the cold I had a 40-minute stop at the Carlisle Ionitys, but in late May I should only need a few minutes. (Yes I know I could have done this without a charge if I'd bought the LR, but I like the SR, so there.) Carlisle, Gretna or Annandale Water are all within range. And get this, I'm no longer needing to think, "better charge up more than I really need to get home, because if I arrive on 10% it's going to take more than 24 hours to charge" - because by then I should have had my Zappi installed. And be able to take advantage of all the sunshine we should be having by then to charge not just fast, but free.

Well, that's the plan. Let's see if it survives contact with the enemy. I'll keep you posted.
These posts are helpful. We have just returned from a few days in Edinburgh, 250 miles south of us, and will need to go to the Borders in a few weeks, then Cumbria a few weeks after that, across to Portsoy in north east Scotland a while after that, then Glasgow towards the end of the year. It's likely we'll also go to Surrey in February next year, almost from one end of the British Isles to the other. But learning from others how longer trips are handled is helpful.
Returning today, it struck us how fabulous MG4s are on a nice long run. I hope you have a great trip.

Rolfe, you mention GeniePoint chargers in Halifax. In my experience and Trust Pilot reviews, they are unreliable.
EDIT - I've just checked the recent Trust Pilot reviews - they are all one star!
Looking at the BPPulse reviews, they are trying to get their act together.

I know about GeniePoint! That's why I mentioned it. The place is a charger desert, or was last time I looked. While trying to get any sense out of Blink Charging is like arguing with Google Translate, these wee 7kw units are in just the right place.

I used a bp-pulse 150kW charger in Hemel Hempstead after the bp-pulse type 2 chargers at the hotel failed to work (network error the app said). The previous car at the 150kW charger failed to get anything but I thought I'd have a go and it worked. It's expensive though!

Have you seen that there are Tesla chargers at Blythe Valley Park, Solihull, a few miles down from the NEC? Because they show up on the Tesla map and I don't have a Tesla I assume they are open to all even though they are at a Tesla service centre.

That is interesting, but I'l slightly doubtful if I should even be pushing on as far as the NEC and even more doubtful about going further. I was looking for alternatives before I got to the NEC, for preference.

These posts are helpful. We have just returned from a few days in Edinburgh, 250 miles south of us, and will need to go to the Borders in a few weeks, then Cumbria a few weeks after that, across to Portsoy in north east Scotland a while after that, then Glasgow towards the end of the year. It's likely we'll also go to Surrey in February next year, almost from one end of the British Isles to the other. But learning from others how longer trips are handled is helpful.
Returning today, it struck us how fabulous MG4s are on a nice long run. I hope you have a great trip.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

Have a look at the Tesla open to all as they are reliable and significantly cheaper than the others and it may even be worth paying £9 for a month subscription and getting the discount to make them even cheaper.

@Rolfe Just to give your planning even more charging options, it appears Tesla have opened most of their superchargers to non-Teslas. Either that or its a glitch in the Tesla app.

Screenshot_20240430-062222.jpg

Last edited:
The WattsUp routing app is giving me open Tesla chargers for my trip to Hereford area. My planning includes a Mer charger which I have not used before.

I recently used a BP Pulse charger locally to check out DC charging on this car, as I had not used recently, last time being the EV6. (Leaving whether the car would accept DC charging until the day before going on holiday, did not go down well with my wife😂)

Back on topic…the chargers were new 50kw ones and charged without a problem. They accepted my debit card, however note that they place a £45 charge on the card as security. They then charge you for electricity used and the £45 disappeared from showing as pending a few days later.

When in Harrogate I suggest a trip across to Skipton, they have Osprey 50kw in a couple of cars parks. I used these previously with the EV6, however Skipton is popular and the chargers do get used a lot.

Enjoy your trip.

For general information, I have just come back from a holiday to Dorset from N Wales and the XPOWER’s reduced range was not a problem either. Although stopping at a property with a Podpoint charger was ideal, specifically chosen for this reason.
I charged going and coming back at 3 Shires Garden Centre. Newent. They have a good set up with 50kw and 150kw rapid chargers, provided by MER

Last edited:
There is talk elsewhere of Tesla having just opened up a bunch of previously Tesla-only chargers. I maybe need to re-check the routes with that in mind.

The Harrogate outing is only a day trip to go to the Everything Electric show, and I won't need a charger anyway. I actually pass Skipton on my way to and from Halifax and I noticed the Osprey chargers there on ZapMap. I had them pegged in case of emergencies at Christmas, but in the event the charge I picked up at the Rheged Centre was plenty to get me to my friends' house and these type 2 chargers - once I'd left the M6 my miles/kwh got substantially better, and the panic was off!

It's a nice part of the world, I'm thinking I might stay on until the Tuesday and miss the bank holiday traffic on the Monday.

Last edited:
Hello Rolfe, the secret of driving an EV unveiled...planning ahead. Works for me every time. Great plan and enjoy your trip.
We're heading for Kinloch Rannoch soon, we can do it in one hop from Southern Scotland, but want to check out the ChargePlaceScotland hub at Castleview Park and Ride for Stirling. Cheaper than Gridserve at Stirling Services. I topped up there in October, because I was clogging it up the M74 to make up for lost time. I'll take a more sedate pace this time😁

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back