7kW portable charger

halogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just got my hands on the portable charger from AE.
Output of 3.1kW
But mid shoes 2.7kW. So about 13% loss
Not bad. It's better than the stock Mg granny.
2kW output but input mid shows 1.3kW. Which is 33% loss ...

Attachments

• IMG-20231113-WA0050.jpeg
    IMG-20231113-WA0050.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 20231113_155910.jpg
    20231113_155910.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice boost. I don't think I've passed 1.7kW with the granny.

Output of 3.1kwh
But mid shoes 2.7kwh. So about 13% loss
2kwh output but input mid shows 1.3kwh. Which is 33% loss ...
Hi, are you using it on a 13A plug socket and what have you got the output current set at?

Hi, are you using it on a 13A plug socket and what have you got the output current set at?
Not sure what you mean.
But my plug is rated 16amp. With 16 amp circuit breaker.
Input on the portable charger I set it up to 16 amp. But u can see in the pictures the output is 14.3amp
And it shows output of 3.1kW.

Is this the kind of thing that could be used as a viable alternative to not being able to install a home charger? (I can't with the apartments I'm in, though I could run a cable out)

Perhaps it's more of any emergency top-up solution

Is this the kind of thing that could be used as a viable alternative to not being able to install a home charger? (I can't with the apartments I'm in, though I could run a cable out)

Im portable charger is rated up to 32 amp. But because no plug can be rated > 16amp therefore i set it up to max 16amp when im home charging..
If I want to charge at 32amps. I need to install the male plug directly to the circuit breaker....

So yes.
I bought this variabel portable charger because im fed with the huge loss of the granny lead.
2kW rated but our car efficiency loss is at whopping 34% ( getting only 1.3kW)

I bought a Tesla UMC as well as the 16amp commando socket accessory (32amp available as well) as a viable backup if I couldn't have a home charger. Much easier to get a 16a outdoor commando socket installed and I pulled nearly 3.3kW when testing it on a socket at work. Can't get much safer than a Tesla charger and it adjusts the power automatically when you change connectors and you can use the car to reduce the rate if needed as well. If I knew about them before shelling out £1000+ on a home charger and falling out with a neighbour due to upcoming electrics unlooping I'd have gone down that route. 3.3kW puts all my needed range back in the car in an acceptable amount of time even for my 90 mile commute

At the same I also installed the factory wall charger. It's suppose to be 7kW rated (level 2)... again... efficiency loss... only getting 5.2kW. Does anyone know if ac charging curve is constant or just like dc charging the higher soc the lower the charging speed...

Attachments

• IMG-20231113-WA0042.jpeg
    IMG-20231113-WA0042.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 127
Does anyone know if ac charging curve is constant or just like dc charging the higher soc the lower the charging speed...
It's essentially constant, because AC charging is limited by the power rating of the on-board charger, which in some models is 6.6kW. The car is probably reporting the power into the main battery, which is power in less losses but also less high voltage loads: the DC-DC converter powering all the 12V circuits and charging the 12V battery, and the air conditioner or heater.

AC charging can also be limited by the rating of various cables: the charging cable, and the rating of the mains wiring via a signal that the EVSE (the AC "charger") sends. On some EVSEs, this is adjustable.

Usually AC charging is low enough power that battery state of charge is not the limiting factor. With DC charging near the end of the charge, the battery SoC often is the limiting factor, hence the tapering off at high SoC.

Output of 3.1kW
But mid shoes 2.7kW. So about 13% loss
2kW output but input mid shows 1.3kW. Which is 33% loss ...
I have three of these, make sure that they have 16amp commando type plugs and not the UK 13amp. The UK plugs will overheat if you exceed 10amp.

Thanks OP for the suggestion of using one of these. I'm currently in a first-floor apartment with no scope to install a charger. Relying on public chargers has been more costly and inconvenient than I anticipated, so decided to try a similar unit, 10 metres length.

Just got it set up running at 10amps, delivering 2.2kW with 13% loss, getting 1.92 kW. Pleased with this, will be from 48% to 100% by morning. Wish I'd done it sooner.

120e40cd-673a-4b7c-9c3e-3c8c0055cee8.jpeg
fc1166e3-ba96-45a3-a07e-56f25224b2ec.jpeg

f0bcd3a0-e836-4015-a9fd-bd15653dc9f0.jpeg
27d6d390-8da0-461a-87d1-a67b8ce25d70.jpeg

Looking at the figures, it seems I could get 2.9kW, 2.5kW delivered with 13% loss at 13 amps. Is it generally regarded as pretty dangerous to be doing this or are some people using 13 amps over a granny from indoors? Quite happy with the 10amp charge.

Any advice or feedback appreciated.

The granny unit won't deliver 13A ... I believe it is limited to 10A max. for safety reasons. (Check the label on it).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back