86p per kWh for local authority charging!!!!!

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have just heard that Highland Council is proposing a rise in EV charging from 30p to 86p per kWh !!!

For a council area which has a landmass equivalent to that of Belgium, and is hugely dependant upon tourism, this seems a punishing rate for environmentally responsible motoring, not just for local residents like myself, but you, the visitor who is tempted to come and see us and enjoy our whiskies, shortbread, music, mythical beasts, stunning scenery, etc, etc, etc.

That must be one of the highest cost rates in Scotland (if not the whole UK!) and is even well above the much criticised rates of commercially operated charge points.

Unsurprisingly, it is hard to gauge the pros & cons of this mooted proposal as Highland is one of the Scottish councils which has yet to issue their Carbon Zero proposal. But we do produce Hydro Electricity from the abundant river system and Wind Energy from the occasional hoollie (high wind) that brows over the aforementioned hills and glens.

Is it me????

From the pdf which will I link below, they say keeping the 30p tariff would result in a £227k loss to the council, that's option 1.

Option 2 is to set the rate at 71p which would break even without including replacement costs.

Many of HRCs chargers are reaching end of life (they were one of the first councils to commit to EV) and will need to be replaced and the 86p rate covers HRC for the costs involved.

For you and me 86p per kwh is horrendous, but they are between a rock and a hard place with rising supply costs. I expect they will go with the max increase because they kinda have to. Anything else leaves every council tax payer subsidising us.

I do think that they could drop the £1.00 minimum, it's pointless and annoying.

I got some free juice when I was up in Scotland over the summer. I had to enlist a local to help at one, he was grumbling that his local council were footing the bill for everyone (including himself). Seems a bit unfair on those without EVs to subsidise those with. And electricity ain't cheap these days!!!

Some council areas (like Perthshire) still provide free charging but I don't think it will continue for much longer.

From the pdf which will I link below, they say keeping the 30p tariff would result in a £227k loss to the council, that's option 1.

Option 2 is to set the rate at 71p which would break even without including replacement costs.

Many of HRCs chargers are reaching end of life (they were one of the first councils to commit to EV) and will need to be replaced and the 86p rate covers HRC for the costs involved.

For you and me 86p per kwh is horrendous, but they are between a rock and a hard place with rising supply costs. I expect they will go with the max increase because they kinda have to. Anything else leaves every council tax payer subsidising us.

I do think that they could drop the £1.00 minimum, it's pointless and annoying.

Hi @5teep.

I don't disagree with what you say.

Yes, the maintenance is required, and I know it will involve a significant cost.

It's just annoying that having personally reported issues with charging equipment directly to Highland Council almost 3 years ago, it now seems a knee jerk reaction as if this has crept up on them!!

I think that EV drivers will think twice in taking their EV to the highlands with 86kWh and opt to take the petrol / diesel car instead. And those that don't have an ICE, will probably go on holiday elsewhere instead.
I am in no doubt that people would want visit the highlands as a holiday destination, but those driving EV's will stay clear or use ICE vehicles.

I understand that one has to balance the books, but surely there are other ways to raise monies to keep the charge per kWh attractive enough to entice tourists who drive EV's to the highlands.

Some council areas (like Perthshire) still provide free charging but I don't think it will continue for much longer.
Charging begins 1st Jan in P&K. 30p AC, 35p DC.
The question is what is local authority provided charging for nowadays? Pricing like Highland's will not incentivise the switch to EVs. I think we are now at the gouging stage to fill depleted coffers.

The PDF I linked to explains clearly the thinking behind the proposal. I'm not looking forward to having to pay this price but any gouging is being done a lot further South not by HRC.

Here is something cringe worthy for you poor 1st world blokes: In Thailand there are 120 KW DC chargers that cost a mere 0.1056 GBP in today's exchange rate.

The poor soul who posted this however also wrote: P.S. But while I'm sitting and waiting, Amesol coffee price is 180. Dessert price is 75. Total is 255 Baht. (5.3 GBP)

Attachments

• 315476501_3304966533095901_1396306834483082446_n.jpg
    315476501_3304966533095901_1396306834483082446_n.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 88
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom