A few little issues, advice needed

STG

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
OK, I have now had a chance to sit in my Trophy after getting it yesterday and not much time to play with controls/settings.

So I noticed a few things and wondered if it's just me, the car or just usual for an MG4.

1) Weather on main dashboard, should it start working as soon as system power is turned on. I ask as even after 30mins of being in the car this morning (on the driveway) it still has not found the location for the weather, keeps saying unknown.

2) When I tap the MG Touchpoint icon in the main display, a spinny icon just keeps spinning even after 5mins of waiting and I then gave up waiting and looked at something else.

3) What is the WiFi for (Not the hotspot)? Is this for connecting the car to say my house WiFi or maybe a public Wifi say at a Motorway Service station/MacDonalds

4) When test driving the MG4 several days ago I could feel the car pulls the steering wheel (Lane Assist or something to keep me from wandering over white lines) yet when I picked up my car and drove it home I tried wandering over a few white lines etc but I got no pulling of the steering wheel or messages on screen. I presume something is switched off, do we know what?

5) The main display does seem to take quite a while sometimes as if it's trying to connect to something, ie when selection weather or navigation or touchpoint, could it be signal related? It was doing this at the dealership who said it could be bad mobile signal, so tried at home when I got back from dealership and the same happened, so tried this morning as still the same. I do live is a poor area, what is the network that the MG uses for it's sim card (EE,3,Vodaphone). I am on 3 for my phone and the signal is quite bad where I live along with EE but others are OK

I am sure there will be other things but loving it so far, this is my 3rd MG though the previous 2 were a 1975 MG Midget in Red (#37 off the production line of the new rubber bumper models) and a 1979 MG Midget in Blue.

3) Connects to your house wifi. This should help you with 1 and maybe 2, and maybe 5
4) LKA clicks in at 40mph

1) Don't know. Have you gone through the login process in the car and ticked the relevant boxes re. privacy and location? (See the Wiki/Tips thread).

2) Don't know - this doesn't exist in my SE

3) Don't know - this doesn't exist in my SE

4) With the car in the READY state, click the Car icon on the main screen and select the MG Pilot tab (if not already selected). Lane Keep Assist should be near the top of the page. Is it showing On or Off?
Edit: and as per above, LKA comes into effect at ~37 mph (not 40 - it's actually 60kph). You can also tell if LKA is enabled by looking at the top-left of the driver display. The "lines" icon will be white when enabled, green when active, and yellow/amber when off/disabled.

5) We think it's a Vodafone eSIM, but it supposedly should be able to roam to any network.

We've a Trophy and the Infotainment problems seem familiar. MG software is a little haphazard, sometimes things happen, sometimes they don't. If you wish to reset the Infotainment system, press the home key for about 10 seconds. This may sort the weather problem.

OK, I have now had a chance to sit in my Trophy after getting it yesterday and not much time to play with controls/settings.

So I noticed a few things and wondered if it's just me, the car or just usual for an MG4.

1) Weather on main dashboard, should it start working as soon as system power is turned on. I ask as even after 30mins of being in the car this morning (on the driveway) it still has not found the location for the weather, keeps saying unknown.

2) When I tap the MG Touchpoint icon in the main display, a spinny icon just keeps spinning even after 5mins of waiting and I then gave up waiting and looked at something else.

3) What is the WiFi for (Not the hotspot)? Is this for connecting the car to say my house WiFi or maybe a public Wifi say at a Motorway Service station/MacDonalds

4) When test driving the MG4 several days ago I could feel the car pulls the steering wheel (Lane Assist or something to keep me from wandering over white lines) yet when I picked up my car and drove it home I tried wandering over a few white lines etc but I got no pulling of the steering wheel or messages on screen. I presume something is switched off, do we know what?

5) The main display does seem to take quite a while sometimes as if it's trying to connect to something, ie when selection weather or navigation or touchpoint, could it be signal related? It was doing this at the dealership who said it could be bad mobile signal, so tried at home when I got back from dealership and the same happened, so tried this morning as still the same. I do live is a poor area, what is the network that the MG uses for it's sim card (EE,3,Vodaphone). I am on 3 for my phone and the signal is quite bad where I live along with EE but others are OK

I am sure there will be other things but loving it so far, this is my 3rd MG though the previous 2 were a 1975 MG Midget in Red (#37 off the production line of the new rubber bumper models) and a 1979 MG Midget in Blue.
There is a lot to learn about this car. Type mg4 Jerry Pan on YouTube he has the complete guide there the best on youtube

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll connect the Wi-Fi to my home lan and see how it goes.

One thing I noticed today was that some of the settings on the system changed, i.e. lots more options appeared under MG Pilot which were not there earlier on this morning, for example it was just about 1.5 pages long and now it approx 3 pages with blind spot, rear traffic and several others so must have updated over dinner time if that’s possible.

As for the 3 preference acceptance settings being ticked they were all done yesterday by the dealer.

I managed to get iSMART finally installed (see iSMART thread) but after a while it keep saying digital key is not activated and I have to connect activate again and again, is this how it should be once you have locked the car?

If you don't need the ability to drive the car without your key, then just leave it deactivated and ignore the message. All the other bits I've tried with the key deactivated seem to work OK here, including unlocking the car. Sometimes it does require your pin though.

Note it's not uncommon to need a refresh to make things work. You refresh either by hitting a refresh symbol, hitting a connect button or dragging the page down - depends on which page you're on.

Hi, another question, this time about what is on the drivers display. When pressing the left hand steering wheel directional switch an image of 2 cars appear on the drivers display and you can select 1 2 or 3 green bars.
I have tried looking in the manual but see no pictures or description (though I may be blind) but suspect it's something to do with the distance between yourself and the car in front but what does the green bar represent?
Is 1 green bar the max distance and 3 is a short distance, or is it the other way round with 3 bars meaning a long distance and what would that distance be? I have attached an image of what I am talking about, it's circled in red.

Also, what is the multi-coloured round icon (on the same image) that I have circled in green mean?

Is there anyway to keep the phone paired to the car, it's an iphone 10. Every time I get into the car I have to re-pair the iphone to the car. I have tried renaming the bluetooth from MG to MGBT or SBT and then pair it but again once I leave the car and come back it's not connecting and needs re-pairing
IMG_1724.jpg

Thanks again all you wonderful people.

Last edited:
The bars are indeed distance to the car in front. I’ve not used it much myself, but I believe that 3 bars is more distance, and 1 is less.
The thing in the green circle is the level of regenerative braking. 3 will give you the most ‘battery feed’, and 1 the least. There is also A, which adapts itself to the road conditions for you. You can change the level of regen braking with the star button on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

Hi, another question, this time about what is on the drivers display. When pressing the left hand steering wheel directional switch an image of 2 cars appear on the drivers display and you can select 1 2 or 3 green bars.

As above it is how set the following distance when using ACC - one bar being a short distance and 3 bars a longer distance. I generally use 3 bars which equates aprroximately to the old "2 second rule".

ACC Distance Setting.jpg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel