A first drive in an EV - an MG ZS EV of course!

Simon J

Standard Member
Reaction score
An MG Car Club friend was kind enough to let me try his ZS EV today and my goodness what a splendid car. Having driven automatic cars for many years the basic sensation - select drive and move off - is essentially the same and with one of my cars having been a 240 bhp turbo Volvo I’m well used to 'grunt' when taking off from a standing start. But I was stunned by the instant acceleration of the MG. OK, it probably runs out of puff above 50 mph but around town it is incredible. The other dramatic difference of course is the regenerative braking and i had to learn to drive up to a junction rather than lift off in advance. OK, the interior isn’t exactly luxurious but for the price, it’s unbeatable and I simply can’t see any downside to it other than that it can’t tow my car trailer so the Land Rover will have to stay! Time to start saving in earnest!

I've not noticed any "running out of puff" at speed, but then again I don't normally push it anyway.

I was meaning that the sort of startling acceleration available when you floor the throttle at, say, 25 mph is possibly not present if you do the same at 55 mph. I didn’t actually try.

My point was about the startling acceleration at lowish speeds, and whether it was replicated at higher speeds, say over 50 mph, and not about maximum speeds.

Some say their ZS will touch 100mph...
On a track of course. :sneaky:
back to the future 80s GIF

My point was about the startling acceleration at lowish speeds, and whether it was replicated at higher speeds, say over 50 mph, and not about maximum speeds.
Yes - I agree they’re quite nippy but as the speed and resistence builds up...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom