A little help and advice please

jpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all I'll list my current usage scenario before asking for advice.

I currently use circa 15kwh daily household usage, 24kwh 5 times a week usage for my commute.

Fixed rate tariff ends in September.

Looking at moving in 3 years and only have a small area on my west facing roof available for solar so not gonna bother with panels.

Firstly should I be looking at DC coupled rather than AC for least amount of losses for my needs. I'll look at taking the batteries with me when I move and hopefully install solar then but think I'd install panels with micro inverters so I believe they'd be supplying DC power to the batteries.

Secondly I'd want storage capacity of around 25+kWh capable of continuously delivering around 7kw or more if that's feasible without crazy price differences and an inverter capable of handling it all.

Can anyone please give recommendations of brands and models, if the spec/type of equipment I've mentioned is the best to fulfill my needs, and if anyone has had similar spec equipment installed what would be a reasonable cost. Thinking with the vat free on home storage installations coming in from February it could be a reasonable investment with a the batteries paying for themselves in several years or less given my high usage.

Also I work nights so for 5 days a week I'd have to charge my car from the batteries for my best savings in the day and batteries at off peak rates.

Hi, i would suggest getting a few quotes.
25kWh is a lot of battery storage and a 7kW inverter takes you into the small generation bracket. Check on your DNO website.

Thanks. I've already talked to my dno over the phone stating the sizes and usage I mentioned and they were fine by it. In fact the example they said they'd have more of an issue around was if I opted for a large solar array and was trying to export to the grid on a sunny summer's day when there was an excess already in the system. When i explained my needs are more than what I'm even suggesting storing and that I've got no interest in exporting at all he said there should be no issue from their side when an application is submitted.

Hi all I'll list my current usage scenario before asking for advice.

I currently use circa 15kwh daily household usage, 24kwh 5 times a week usage for my commute.

Fixed rate tariff ends in September.

Looking at moving in 3 years and only have a small area on my west facing roof available for solar so not gonna bother with panels.

Firstly should I be looking at DC coupled rather than AC for least amount of losses for my needs. I'll look at taking the batteries with me when I move and hopefully install solar then but think I'd install panels with micro inverters so I believe they'd be supplying DC power to the batteries.

Secondly I'd want storage capacity of around 25+kWh capable of continuously delivering around 7kw or more if that's feasible without crazy price differences and an inverter capable of handling it all.

Can anyone please give recommendations of brands and models, if the spec/type of equipment I've mentioned is the best to fulfill my needs, and if anyone has had similar spec equipment installed what would be a reasonable cost. Thinking with the vat free on home storage installations coming in from February it could be a reasonable investment with a the batteries paying for themselves in several years or less given my high usage.

Also I work nights so for 5 days a week I'd have to charge my car from the batteries for my best savings in the day and batteries at off peak rates.
Another option.
Get batteries to suit your household needs only (cheaper), and top them up from solar. Top up car (and batteries when needed) from cheap off-peak electricity.

I can only fit a maximum of 6 high efficiency panels on my west facing side so the cost of all the scaffolding etc for me being at the property for 4 years at a stretch will return very little on my investment. The east facing side is a flat roof dormer and even the sloping west side has a double velux window installed vertically almost cutting my roof space in 2. My quick maths was

14,600 kWh per year usage x £0.2 minimum saving ( off peak Vs capped rate ) = £2,920 saving per year if I can get by on just using stored off peak energy. Most batteries have 10 year warranty so anything less than £29k should yield a return 🤞

Take a look at running the simulator in the Loop Energy app. you 'may' find solar is not for you, then it maybe.

I can only fit a maximum of 6 high efficiency panels on my west facing side so the cost of all the scaffolding etc for me being at the property for 4 years at a stretch will return very little on my investment. The east facing side is a flat roof dormer and even the sloping west side has a double velux window installed vertically almost cutting my roof space in 2. My quick maths was

14,600 kWh per year usage x £0.2 minimum saving ( off peak Vs capped rate ) = £2,920 saving per year if I can get by on just using stored off peak energy. Most batteries have 10 year warranty so anything less than £29k should yield a return 🤞
Have a look at the GivEnergy all in one.

Have a look at the GivEnergy all in one.
The GivEnergy is currently my front runner, their site says being able to connect them in parallel is coming soon but don't know when soon is!

Take a look at running the simulator in the Loop Energy app. you 'may' find solar is not for you, then it maybe.
Can't seem to find this, is it accessible through a browser or is it app only

With Ripple, you buy your generation share and it's transportable to any property you live at until it reaches life end. You can even pass it on to your kids!
Looks intriguing, have you already invested and if so what rate are you currently paying per kw

Looks intriguing, have you already invested and if so what rate are you currently paying per kw
I already had solar PV for 50% of my demand, but low winter generations so I bought the other 50% via Ripple as a wind turbine.

It cost me 58p/kWh capital and the return is above 10%, so payback in under 10 years then free leccy for 15+ years.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom