A long time on a granny lead

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
In another thread someone pointed out that MG recommend that cars should be charged from 10% to 100% on a "slow charger" every three to six months. I didn't think I needed the car today, so since I was down to 9% yesterday afternoon I thought I'd give it a try.

I started the charge about 4.30 yesterday afternoon. I tend to estimate 3 hours for every 10% battery fill, so I was expecting it to take maybe 28 hours including the half-hour balance charge the car will do at the end of it, but it is working out a little quicker than that. At first the app was reporting wittering nonsense as regards finishing time, but this morning it settled down to 5.30 this afternoon (it's saying 5.45 now), which is only 25 hours plus the balance charge. (This is good, because after I'd started the charge I got an email saying turn up for orchestra practice at eight please, and my first reaction was, maybe not.)

I just checked the plug, 24 hours into the continuous charge, and there's no warmth either in the plug or the socket.

I'm wondering a few things. Do they really mean to do this on a granny lead? I don't have a wall box anyway, but don't they class wall-box chargers as "fast chargers"? I imagine this is something rather akin to getting the car to eat its five-a-day, i.e. it's theoretically a good idea but it's not going to cause it to drop dead in a year if you don't. I've not seen this covered by any of the videos about battery care.

The same part of the manual says something about "don't use rapid chargers." On this one, who are they actually kidding? But I saw a video with a similar title to that which I didn't watch, and again it's nothing I've ever seen discussed as regards battery care. The reason I've never charged from 10% to 100% on the granny charger is that there's a 50 Kw rapid charger only five minutes away that's about the same price as my home electricity, so I've tended to give the car a session on that when I've come back low, before driving it home and finishing off to 100% and balance on the granny lead - just to save time. I'm a bit hazy why this might be a bad idea, although as the weather gets worse the attraction of walking 400 yards home from the charger and back again is likely to wear a bit thin.

It does underline how practical it is to live off a granny charger even with moderate mileage, if you have a decent electrical setup. Most people come home in the evening in time for their evening meal, so stay in the house maybe 12-14 hours most nights. You can comfortably pick up 80-90 miles or so of range in that time. If your daily mileage is less than that on average, and is regular, it should work out.

Obviously there comes a point where the ability to utilise a variable electricity tariff by charging faster overnight for shorter periods is attractive. But on the whole, I'm managing fine. Just lucky the house I bought 16 years ago had such good electrical fittings in the garage, I suppose.

Last edited:
Any "slow" charge point will be fine - even 22kW 3-phase (if you'd had an 11kW-capable version MG4, which I know you don't). Basically they're meaning NOT on a DC rapid charger. It's the act of going from 10% to 100% on an AC charge point that the guidance is about, not the relative speed of that charge point.

Yes, that's what I thought. It was just that they said "slow charger" rather than "AC charger", and in that parlance type 2 chargers are often referred to as "fast chargers" to differentiate them from the granny lead.

It is confusing. I was having a ridiculous argument with a friend on Twitter where he said that any time someone with an EV takes a long journey they have to book a hotel room so they can charge the car. I told him this was ridiculous, of course we don't, and posted an ABRP image of my journey from here to Brighton in my SR - seven hours driving and two hours charging, in three handy snack/meal break stops. And pointed out that the LR would only have needed two stops and maybe an hour and a quarter total charging. He came back at me with an image from the specs for a Tesla Model 3 showing something like 8 hours to do 20% to 80% on a "fast charger" - obviously meaning a wall box or destination type 2 charger, but my friend wasn't to know that.

I'm not sure I ever quite got through to him, although I repeatedly said that on an ultra-rapid an NMC battery will be done charging before you've drunk your coffee. He really thought that "fast charger" would be as fast as it got, although the term was being applied to an AC charger.

MG call 7kW chargers slow according to page 173 of the manual:
"High voltage battery chargers are available with various
power outputs. Chargers with outputs of up to 11kW are
generally considered as slow chargers, larger than 11kW
are considered as fast chargers and rapid chargers are
available in AC or DC outputs. Generally the AC chargers

are rated at 43kW and the DC chargers at 50kW plus"

That's helpful, thanks. I was a bit confused. (Not as confused as my friend who thought you'd have to book a hotel to stay in while your car charged, mind.)

Yes, that's what I thought. It was just that they said "slow charger" rather than "AC charger", and in that parlance type 2 chargers are often referred to as "fast chargers" to differentiate them from the granny lead.

No. Type 2 are considered slow charge for all brands.

That phrase "are often referred as 'fast chargers'" is missing references... all brands refer to type 2 as slow charger, even the user manual.

Ugh, the nomenclature is such a mess, and I don't know how it's going to get fixed, because what's done is done, and the names are out there:

Slow: 3.5kW and below
Fast: 7kW to 22kW
Rapid: 50kW
Ultra-rapid: 100kW and above

It's just messy when
  • there's no intuitive way to know "rapid" is faster than "fast"
  • "fast" at 7kW is as slow as most people charge ever, now
  • makes discourse about what kind of chargers should be at what locations confusing. I think destinations should have lots of 7kW chargers rather than a few rapids. But if I say "destinations ought to have fast chargers" that doesn't communicate what I mean well.
It's like when places are still called "New Road" 100 years later.

Maybe saying AC or DC would be better?

I've even seen the old 50 Kw motorway service station Gridserves marked as slow (or maybe low power) because the comparison is with the 350 Kw units they're putting in now.

Sounds like a foxtrot to me, 🎼 slow, slow, quick, quick, slow. 😁

The MG dealer in Lincoln told me the 'balance' charge had to be done using the granny charger. I'd be amazed if I ever got chance to give it a full charge on that, given that it's a company car so I'm driving all day every day Mon-Fri and I'm usually out and about at the weekend as well. If the dealer is right then I'll have to schedule an odd weekend to do all the stacks of nothing I've got waiting to be done!

I think it would help if everyone used the terms AC and DC, and then maybe qualified that with some reference to the speed, but that's the essential difference.

So, just to clarify and simplify the situation it goes as follows :-
In order to perform / carry out a balance cycle on your traction battery, you will need to carry this function on any A/C powered unit !.
But NOT on a D/C powered ( rapid ) unit.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back