A Simple Question......

CuriousIslander

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a 21 plate pre facelift MG5 Excite. Does anyone know whether it supports scheduled charging as I am contemplating looking for a cheap overnight tariff.......

My dealer doesn't seem to know (there's a surprise!!!!)
Thanks

Last edited:
What sort of charger are you using? Granny or 7kW?
PodPoint Solo 7kW. The manual that came with it says "If your EV supports scheduled charging, then just plug it in as soon as you park and your car will only charge at the programmed time."

Hence my question, does the car support scheduled charging?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can program the Pod Point App to schedule a charge.
Just tap home in the app and set your times.
It takes a few minutes to register, so don't leave it till the last minute.

You can program the Pod Point App. To schedule a charge.
Just tap home in the app and set your times.
It takes a few minutes to register, so don't leave it till the last minute.
Thank you - I know that the PodPoint charger is capable of scheduled charging, the question is whether the car is capable of it.........

Thank you - I know that the PodPoint charger is capable of scheduled charging, the question is whether the car is capable of it.........
The car is essentially dumb, in this case. If you offer it electricity it will consume it until the battery is full, or the charging session comes to an end. You may want to consider what state of charge you want to achieve. You don't always require 100%, and squeezing the last bit in takes much longer (and is, presumably, less efficient).

PodPoint Solo 7kW. The manual that came with it says "If your EV supports scheduled charging, then just plug it in as soon as you park and your car will only charge at the programmed time."

Hence my question, does the car support scheduled charging?
With a Podpoint and Your MG5 (no scheduling) you will be able to sign up to Octopus Go for four hours at a cheap rate.

I have a 21 plate pre facelift MG5 Excite. Does anyone know whether it supports scheduled charging as I am contemplating looking for a cheap overnight tariff.......

Thanks
I've got the FL MG5 and the pod point charger. I don't set anything on the car and handle it all through podpont. This is the same situation that you would be in with the pre FL.

While I waiting for an OHME charger install so I can go on Octopus intelligent GO, I charge my pre-FL MG5 with a granny using a BG Electrical Smart switch programmed for the Go cheap tariff. Just plug in the car. 1230 arrives and the granny starts charging. At 430 the granny switches off and charging stops. Works fine. I would expect the Podpoint to work in a similar manner.

I've just read the podpoint solo 1 user guide. I understand your confusion, in their attempt to cover all the bases they've seriously muddied the waters.

Your charge point is smart and can handle its own charging schedule when connected to a dumb car (mg5 pre face-lift is dumb). You set the schedule in the app and when you plug your car in the lights should go yellow (waiting for scheduled charge).

Podpoint have added a flashing green light for 'the charger is connected to a car but the car isn't asking for power' to denote either a full battery or a vehicle with built in scheduled charging that's not currently demanding a charge.

Set your EV tariff cheap times in your podpoint app charge schedule. Connect your car up and enjoy cheaper charging overnight.

If you have an early SR you may not have had the software update that fixed the issue of the car asking for a charge timing out after 6 hours. I would like to think it's had the patches during servicing or the recall update for brake lights.

I've just read the podpoint solo 1 user guide. I understand your confusion, in their attempt to cover all the bases they've seriously muddied the waters.

Your charge point is smart and can handle it's own charging schedule when connected to a dumb car (mg5 pre face-lift is dumb). You set the schedule in the app and when you plug your car in the lights should go yellow (waiting for scheduled charge).

Podpoint have added a flashing green light for 'the charger is connected to a car but the car isn't asking for power' to denote either a full battery or a vehicle with built in scheduled charging that's not currently demanding a charge.

Set your EV tarrif cheap times in your podpoint app charge schedule. Connect your car up and enjoy cheaper charging overnight.

If you have an early SR you may not have had the software update that fixed the issue of the car asking for a charge timing out after 6 hours. I would like to think it's had the patches during servicing or the recall update for brake lights.
Aha...

Getting somewhere I think. "mg5 pre face-lift is dumb" - this is what I suspected, so the next step is to look into the app and see if I can make it work. If that succeeds then I will pursue OVO regarding the cheap rate window.
Your reply was very helpful and encouraging. Thank you.

Thanks
The car doesn't support scheduled charging however all new and most existing home 'chargers' do. If your charger has an app you can do scheduled charging and most of us do.
You can either set your own schedule or if you tell the app what electric tariff you are on it will do it for you.
My set up is a pre-facelift with a Rolec charger on Octopus Go. I just plug in, it plans a charge and charges overnight for 4 hours on cheap rate.

I have a pre-facelift MG5 with OVO charge anytime and an Ohme charger. You can easily set an additional percent or miles to add using the app or on the charger itself. Works great, and 2p a mile! Only caveat you can't charge to a set percentage as others have said the car is dumb. You have to specify the amount you want to add.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom