A small survey about your use of your MG ZS EV and/or an ICE vehicle

As a ZS EV owner do you maintain an ICE?

• I’ve an ICE but it’s on ice (ie I don’t use it at all it’s just an insurance policy)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I’ve an ICE that I keep warm (ie I use it occasionally say for longer journeys)

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • I’m totally committed to my EV, have no ICE at all, but am concerned about range anxiety

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • I’m totally committed to my EV, have no ICE and I’ve never looked back

Votes: 29 40.8%

• Total voters
The poll didn't allow for my option, so I chose the nearest, option 4. I do own ICE, but they are collectables, so rarely used, all my daily use is EV, I don't get range anxiety, but would still prefer a 200 mile minimum range in winter at motorway speed EV, not logical, but just a gut feeling sweet spot sort of thing.

I too should really have voted somewhere between options 2 and 3 . I AM very committed to EVs but up here in the Highlands am struggling with the actual practicality. As I mentioned in a separate thread, I am using the ICE for journeys of over 85 miles and if I need to dive in darkness or rain, as the speed of range reduction has caught me out too often.

I too should really have voted somewhere between options 2 and 3 . I AM very committed to EVs but up here in the Highlands am struggling with the actual practicality. As I mentioned in a separate thread, I am using the ICE for journeys of over 85 miles and if I need to dive in darkness or rain, as the speed of range reduction has caught me out too often.
Dave,

What’s the lowest miles per KWh that you have seen in one of you night time rainy drives? I’m in rural central Scotland and am a little range anxious.

@AussiePete It's been as low as the mid 2s (2.5 - 2.9) !! On a nice day driving comfortably down the A9, I can get mid 4s even touching 5!! I NEVER seem to get the 200mile range experience that others speak of, and I'm not that fast a driver. But we do have a lot of hills as the term Highlands kinda implies!!

All - do you think changing to the LED headlight bulbs mentioned in other threads help the range reduction? But I am pretty risk-averse and would be uncomfortable knowingly breaking the law!!

I'm number 2 but use the ICE (Prius) once a week to stop the brakes rusting up too much and to keep the HV battery (and 12v) maintained.

I have a Mitsubishi PHEV as back up...it gets very little use, but it is a 4X4 and I am now fitting a tow-bar to it....for maximum flexibility of my fleet.

Please only answer the poll if you are a ZS EV owner
I do have an ICE car for my business which is used regularly every day. Our MG ZS is my wife’s car. I am due to retire this coming year and we will simply sell my Business car at that time. We may look for another EV at that time. Our one issue with the ZS is it is on the limits for range for our needs, we regularly do long trips in the weekends and in the summer there is no issue, coming into the colder months it is struggling to cover the journey without a top up, not by much but we tend to do the top up just to be safe. Something with a slightly longer range would be the requirement. If MG came out with a longer range ZS or HS I would probably consider them if price was ok.

My back-up is an old MGF, about 20 years old now, and still runs well. and lovely in the summer with the lid down...:)

Bit late to this party!!
I have a ICE ZS (my wifes daily driver) and a garaged MGTF for summer fun also. I've only used the ICE ZS over the EV for a recent trip to the Highlands due to lack of charge points but other than that, it's my car of choice.

I don't have the ability to charge at home, but in my village there is a free 7KW charger at a co-op.
So I keep my ice car parked up near the charger and then when I charge the MG I take the ICE car home.
I will also use the ICE car for carrying things to the tip etc

I have a Tesla Model 3 SR+ and my wife has an MG ZS EV, so yes totally committed, but we also have a Mazda MX5 (SORN) in the garage for the fun summer months.
How does the M3 compare to the ZS?

@AussiePete It's been as low as the mid 2s (2.5 - 2.9) !! On a nice day driving comfortably down the A9, I can get mid 4s even touching 5!! I NEVER seem to get the 200mile range experience that others speak of, and I'm not that fast a driver. But we do have a lot of hills as the term Highlands kinda implies!!

All - do you think changing to the LED headlight bulbs mentioned in other threads help the range reduction? But I am pretty risk-averse and would be uncomfortable knowingly breaking the law!!
I get 2.5 regularly in winter.

Isn't an M3 a BMW ? :)
Yes. I suppose it’s better known than the Tesla. I guess that i should have been clearer. In the Tesla community they’re known as M3. So the M3P is the performance model. The M3SR+ is the model 3 short range plus model. 🙂

Mostly use the ZS EV, wife has MG ZS ICE, take the 944S2 out for runs in the summer and have Ford Ranger Wildtrak for snow/icey conditions, towing and moving heavy stuff.

I use the MG ZS EV and love it using it for work and any chance. My wife has a convertible ICE that she loves. Showed her the Tesla 3 converted convertible as Eaton's S convertible is not available, she liked the back but mot the rest of the car.
Also need to keep the ICE for towing, until they give the approval for the ZS.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom