A work-around for the awful radio

wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Sorry, but just about everything about the radio is awful and very distracting if trying to change stations whilst you are driving. My workaround is to use a combination of Apple CarPlay, and the BBC Sounds app and the TuneIn Radio app.

Connect your iPhone to the car with a cable. Say ‘Hey Siri, open BBC Sounds’. The app will open on the infotainment screen and will show a list of all the BBC radio stations. Chose your preferred station and hit play. If like me, you usually miss the news bulletins at the top of the hour, simply use the right joystick on the steering wheel and the current programme will rewind to the beginning of the show.

It’s the same process for the TuneIn app but without the rewind function. TuneIn does not stream BBC stations hence the need to use BBC Sounds as well. I guess other radio apps will also work in the same way.

The radio is pants, I had a few saved stations and wanted to delete one, so j selected it hit delete and confirmed and it deleted every saved station… maybe user error but not great experience

I agree Apple car play is a better option

I do like having the Bluetooth option S it plays my Spotify music as soon as I press the pedal to start the car

Still loving the car overall

I use FM and I find it's not as good at smoothly transitioning to a better frequency, which my Golf did very well indeed. I never lost the station unless there really was no frequency it could be received on, and the car simply found the best signal without bothering me about it, or even making me aware that it had re-tuned. I find the MG4 loses the signal and I have to manually retune to find a better frequency. Disappointing, because the Golf was 14 years old and I'd have thought the technology to do that should have been standard by now even on a relatively low-spec car. But it is what it is, most of the time I can listen to the radio just fine.

Never had that. It's usually instantaneous, and I don't think I remember it being more than 30 seconds or so.

I took the car to the garage this week to get them to fit the mud-flaps and the replacement bulbs for the interior light, and when I got it back someone had been into the depths of the system and muted the audio at source, presumably driven mad by the un-turn-offable radio. I'll need to show them how to turn the volume down with the joystick, or just remember to do it if the car has to go in again.

Never had that. It's usually instantaneous, and I don't think I remember it being more than 30 seconds or so.

I took the car to the garage this week to get them to fit the mud-flaps and the replacement bulbs for the interior light, and when I got it back someone had been into the depths of the system and muted the audio at source, presumably driven mad by the un-turn-offable radio. I'll need to show them how to turn the volume down with the joystick, or just remember to do it if the car has to go in again.

I keep my MG Trophy, parked in an underground car park, when I try to check my car’s location it puts it in France! anyone have any ideas

The car can't pick up the satellites for GPS location in an underground car park. As to why France it's defaulting to somewhere in France 🤷‍♂️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back