aawireless blues

Avro

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Calling out to anyone using the aawireless unit successfully (or not) on the MG5 (LR in my case).
I decided to go with one of these in the hope that it would resolve the random AA disconnects /no connects that plague me when connected by cabled USB (oh yes I have tried all sorts of cables).
After a bit of a faf getting the thing to initially pair with my phone, it all works...great. But next time I get in the car I have to re-pair the phone to aawireless before it will work. Anyone else had this?
I do notice that despite deactivating the bluetooth on the car aa seems to reactivate it and pair the phone to the car! I am suspicious that this may have some bearing on the problem but it may just be a requirement of aa. Phone is Moto G6 (Android 9)
Thanks in advance :)

Calling out to anyone using the aawireless unit successfully (or not) on the MG5 (LR in my case).
I decided to go with one of these in the hope that it would resolve the random AA disconnects /no connects that plague me when connected by cabled USB (oh yes I have tried all sorts of cables).
After a bit of a faf getting the thing to initially pair with my phone, it all works...great. But next time I get in the car I have to re-pair the phone to aawireless before it will work. Anyone else had this?
I do notice that despite deactivating the bluetooth on the car aa seems to reactivate it and pair the phone to the car! I am suspicious that this may have some bearing on the problem but it may just be a requirement of aa. Phone is Moto G6 (Android 9)
Thanks in advance :)
Hi, I use AA successfully on my MG5 LR Excite with a Samsung GalaxS21 with latest Android version. Whilst I don't have your particular problem I did occasionally get random disconnects. This was solved by forcing 2.4 ghz in the AA app settings. It was set to 5ghz. No more disconnects thereafter.

I have not deactivated the car bluetooth as that is used each time to make the hotspot connection to AA.

I posted a few months back some pictures of my physical setup and additional wireless charge pad. If I can find that post I will put a link here for you.

Hope this helps and good luck.đź‘´

Android 9 is the lowest version that will work with Android Auto. Make sure you've patched it up as best you can.

As above AA Wireless can work better at 2.4ghz on older devices.

Thanks folks, I will try forcing it to 2.4 gHz , its got to be worth a go :)
I kind of assumed the "startup" cycle would be for the phone to link to the dongle Bluetooth first then initialise the wifi link, really not sure where the car Bluetooth connection would come into that though?

That thread link is dead for me but I am sure I can search for it... thanks again (y)

worth a go :)
I kind of assumed the "startup" cycle would be for the phone to link to the dongle Bluetooth first then initialise the wifi link, really not sure where the car Bluetooth connection would come into that though?
I was wrong about needing car bluetooth. Found FAQ confirmation as follows.đź‘´

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-075905_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-075905_Edge.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 107
Excellent, thank you. Interesting that it drops the bluetooth connection after the wifi has connected I am seeing that which confused me somewhat.
So my hunch may be right as my phone is linked to the car its stopping the dongle making a connection to my phone. Can't understand why the car Bluetooth keeps turning itself back on. I might have a go uninstalling android auto from the phone there may be some permissions set I am not aware of

Cheers

Hmm well that's a few more hours of my life wasted, I should have done some proper research.
It's only really android 11 that supports the wireless function, its hit and miss with anything else....mostly miss.
I guess it will have to go in the draw until I am forced to buy a new phone :(

Thanks for your help anyway

Bluetooth is needed by the car for Call audio from my understanding.

@Avro Are you sure that "reconnect automatically" is turned on in your phones wifi settings? You only need android 9 or newer for wireless AA.
Is any power saver turned off? Is the option to turn wifi away from home turned on? (Make sure its off). Have you downloaded the AAWireless app and ensured the unit is updated?
Is any battery optimization for the android auto service turned on?
Have you disabled any screensaver you have set up to run while charging?
Have you tried using smartlock to automatically unlock your phone when it detects the cars headunit?
Have you tried going into the android auto setting on your phone and turning off "Lock Phone while driving"?

If you need any help for checking any of these, feel free to ping me.

Wow thats a lot to be going on with :) thanks
I always run my phones in "in default mode" and avoid installing unnecessary apps but I will see if anything bad has slipped in there.

After a fruitless session last night I had a go again this evening starting from scratch:
Uninstalled and re-installed Android Auto on the phone
Removed bluetooth pairing from car and phone
Disabled car bluetooth
Wireless aa dongle is up to date
So tried to pair again

Plug in dongle, started aawireless app. Unit paired fine (but always does) light goes solid blue (eventually) and AA boots up. So far so good, AA asks for permissions (on phone screen) at this point I can't move on, once I have finished granting permissions, start up apps etc if I go back AA has gone. About this time the wireless link drops out. the led flashes green a few times then red then green a few times etc. Opening the aawireless app it shows disconnected and I have to re-pair and so the loop continues.
This is actually worse than I had before. Yesterday I was using the phone as it had been paired previously by USB cable, it would get into Android auto but had to keep pairing it every time I got into the car. Did get into settings long enough to set 2.4 gHz wifi but its made no difference.

The issue about having to pair the unit to the phone every time it is powered remains but now AA itself seems to keep crashing

I always run my phones in "in default mode" and avoid installing unnecessary apps but I will see if anything bad has slipped in there.

After a fruitless session last night I had a go again this evening starting from scratch:
Disabled car bluetooth
So tried to pair again

Plug in dongle, started aawireless app. Unit paired fine (but always does) light goes solid blue (eventually) and AA boots up. So far so good, AA asks for permissions (on phone screen) at this point I can't move on, once I have finished granting permissions, start up apps etc if I go back AA has gone. About this time the wireless link drops out. the led flashes green a few times then red then green a few times etc. Opening the aawireless app it shows disconnected and I have to re-pair and so the loop continues.
This is actually worse than I had before. Yesterday I was using the phone as it had been paired previously by USB cable, it would get into Android auto but had to keep pairing it every time I got into the car. Did get into settings long enough to set 2.4 gHz wifi but its made no difference.

The issue about having to pair the unit to the phone every time it is powered remains but now AA itself seems to keep crashing
Are you able to try an alternative phone to rule that out? đź‘´

Disabled car bluetooth
So tried to pair again

If you haven't done this already, go into your phone settings In the search box type 'android auto' and then select it.
Ensure Start Android auto while locked is 'on'
Scroll down and ensure Wireless android auto is 'on'
At the top of the AA settings if needed is connection help and 'connect a car' but do the other 2 things first.

I only change phones when I feel I have too and my wife gets my cast offs. so the Moto G6 is the newest in the house.
Is a miserable wet day today here so what better than to sit in the car and do battle with some flakey software. I will let you know if it works :)

I only change phones when I feel I have too and my wife gets my cast offs. so the Moto G6 is the newest in the house.
Is a miserable wet day today here so what better than to sit in the car and do battle with some flakey software. I will let you know if it works :)
Moto G9 works OK with those settings and AAWireless

Woo Hoo its working! Well mostly
After uninstalling AA and aawireless & resetting the dongle it still hung during the install but after some investigation I found the permissions on the phone were not correctly set despite having set them in aawireless, after removing and resetting the permissions it all started working so not sure what went on there (maybe finger trouble). Result is yes Gomev Moto G6 does work ok :)
Thanks again for your help with this (y)
Only remaining issue now is the audio only comes out of the phone not the car :unsure:.....guess something else is not set as that was working first time around....any ideas?

OK fixed that too now :)
Removing the microphone permission then resetting it got the audio back onto the car. Seems like the permissions are a bit buggy on my setup, but just pleased it's all working. I think it's time for a pint,
Cheers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom