About to sign for An MG ZS EV standard range.

Pauli363

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all. First post here, and looking forward to reading all the useful posts. We are about to pull the trigger on a new 2022 model ZS EV. As its available with a discount for Health staff in the UK and also attracts the govt plug in grant of £1500 its just too much of a jump price wise to the long range, which doesn't attract the grant. Also, with the car being used for work purposes in the city, and a 25 mile each way commute daily, the standard range should suffice. For the rare time it will be used for longer distances, it will cover most of our travel needs with only one full top up en route. Its also the second car in the family. My question is, for city driving, what is the general consensus for real world range on the 51kwh model. the car will mainly be driven on house calls for about 45 miles each day, with a 20 mile each way commute. Apparently, EVs give longer running time in cities? Also, I only discovered at the last minute that the EV models only come with plastic wheel trims?? Why is that? why no alloys considering the cars are far more expensive than the petrol versions? Many thanks

Also, I only discovered at the last minute that the EV models only come with plastic wheel trims?? Why is that? why no alloys considering the cars are far more expensive than the petrol versions? Many thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum !.
The face lift ZS EV does come with alloy wheels, but they are hidden behind the aero wheel trims.
Just like the some of the Tesla models.
The ZS EV alloys look like this :-

Ah I see! They don't look too bad either. I take it this is for aerodynamics? I was aware about the Teslas, didn't know this was the same. The salesman I spoke to didn't even know they were plastic trims, he thought they were the alloys!

Except in the coldest & very wet days of winter, you should obtain more than 4 miles per kWh in city driving, so 200 + miles for a full battery

I drive from the Portsmouth area to Whitechapel every couple of months and find the best economy on my MG5 is on the A3 up to Wandsworth.
Keeping at 60ish about 4-4.5 miles per KWh.
Wandsworth to Whitechapel section (admittedly a cow of a journey) under 3.0 KWh.
I've never found the town stop/start driving more economical than maintaining a steady speed on open roads.
I think when these amazing in town figures are claimed they assume your speed is restricted to around 30 and a steady speed can be maintained which of course never happens.

We have the 2021 44kw battery model. Fully charged we often do intercity travel of 180-190km round trip and arrive home with 40-50 km (35km real range on highway?) range still showing available.

We were lucky to get one immediately. The dealer had an unsold order enroute (I think as a demo possibly), so we got it. No waiting at all, so we feel a bit blessed.
I charged it fully last night for the first time after a few test drives over the weekend as its for the wife. On 100% charge it was showing 177 miles. Why does it not reflect 199 miles when at 100%?

It's probably taken the the last few Cycles in consideration driving did u reset all the trip data?

We were lucky to get one immediately. The dealer had an unsold order enroute (I think as a demo possibly), so we got it. No waiting at all, so we feel a bit blessed.
I charged it fully last night for the first time after a few test drives over the weekend as its for the wife. On 100% charge it was showing 177 miles. Why does it not reflect 199 miles when at 100%?
Try turning off the climate control...Just turning this on, decreases the range in mine instantly

While that is true noone is buying a £30 000 car to drive it like it's 1990 without air conditioning :) my air con is always on set to temperature I like summer or winter :)
Offcourse, but the WLTP range is calculated with "everything off" so if you want your car to display the WLTP range, you need to turn everything off.

Last edited:
While that is true noone is buying a £30 000 car to drive it like it's 1990 without air conditioning :) my air con is always on set to temperature I like summer or winter :)
exactly. Not starting to turn off all the features of the car to save a few miles, defeats the whole purpose of a big outlay in the first place.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom