ABRP (A Better Route Planner) Range

ukslim

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We drove Warwick to Legoland Windsor and back yesterday in our MG4 Trophy .

ABRP advised me it was a total of 167 miles, and that starting at 100%, we'd get home on 5%.
Or we could charge in Bicester for 7 minutes, adding 20 minutes to the total journey time, to get home on 12%.

What actually happened is that we started on 100%, drove there and back without charging, and had 22% left.

And of course WLTP is 270 miles, so on that we'd have had 100 miles spare (car estimates 53 in real life)

We didn't do anything in particular to hypermile - 75 on the motorway much of the time, air con on.

ABRP is configured to assume our car is a "MG, MG4, Long Range - Luxury" from a choice of "Standard Range", "Long Range" or "Long Range - Luxury".

Anyone got any idea why ABRP it's so dramatically underestimating our range? I reckon I must have done some unnecessary expensive charging on previous journeys because of trusting ABRP.

ABRP advised me it was a total of 167 miles, and that starting at 100%, we'd get home on 5%.
Or we could charge in Bicester for 7 minutes, adding 20 minutes to the total journey time, to get home on 12%.

What actually happened is that we started on 100%, drove there and back without charging, and had 22% left.

And of course WLTP is 270 miles, so on that we'd have had 100 miles spare (car estimates 53 in real life)

We didn't do anything in particular to hypermile - 75 on the motorway much of the time, air con on.

ABRP is configured to assume our car is a "MG, MG4, Long Range - Luxury" from a choice of "Standard Range", "Long Range" or "Long Range - Luxury".

Anyone got any idea why ABRP it's so dramatically underestimating our range? I reckon I must have done some unnecessary expensive charging on previous journeys because of trusting ABRP.
Did you use an OBD key to give the live data to ABRP?

Possibly ABRP is being conservative, does it for instance factor in the seasons? A cold day in winter would give you a very different outcome and ABRP should be reflecting worse case scenario. Reality is that you obviously monitored % left as you were travelling and decided that you had more than enough to complete journey without charging? In winter you might make a different decision. Likewise on a long journey requiring multiple charges, because the app shows all chargers on the journey you can decide to continue to the next charger and reconfigure the journey.

Anytime I've looked at ABRP for a journey of any distance it has always suggested more charge stops than I've actually needed however I've tweaked the settings. I don't often use it as my long journeys are mostly the same so I know where I'm going to charge and where the backups are.

No, and I don't intend to because I don't make enough long journeys to justify the tinkering time, nor subscribing. I just use ABRP to plan journeys ahead.
Well i have the paid version and I tested with a BT dongle and live data and it works perfectly, cause he receives the exact data from the OBD

Possibly ABRP is being conservative, does it for instance factor in the seasons? A cold day in winter would give you a very different outcome and ABRP should be reflecting worse case scenario. Reality is that you obviously monitored % left as you were travelling and decided that you had more than enough to complete journey without charging? In winter you might make a different decision
It says it takes seasonal weather into account, and real-time weather with a subscription (which I don't have). I suppose yesterday's weather was unseasonably warm (although, it's my birthday week, so I've paid attention to the weather over the years, and it's usually "unseasonably warm" :LOL: )

It says it takes seasonal weather into account, and real-time weather with a subscription (which I don't have). I suppose yesterday's weather was unseasonably warm (although, it's my birthday week, so I've paid attention to the weather over the years, and it's usually "unseasonably warm" :LOL: )
I think having the dongle is needed for accurate data, otherwise treat it as a rough guide only. Driving styles alone vary so much that data is needed for any prediction to be accurate, let alone other factors.

That sounds like a good explanation - records are constantly being broken so the current temp. is pretty much guaranteed to be above average every year it seems.

Memory's not reliable but it certainly seems a hotter October than most from decades ago.

To try to end on a positive, happy birthday.

Memory's not reliable but it certainly seems a hotter October than most from decades ago.

To try to end on a positive, happy birthday.

Thank you. The birthday context is that in my 20s, (2000s) and until too many of my mates became responsible for looking after kids, we'd always have a big all-day pub crawl on my birthday weekend. And I'd worry about the weather spoiling the walks between pubs -- but it would almost always end up being sunny and dry.

The vLinker MC+ BLE4.0 works fine for me. As others have said ABRP is much more accurate with the actual data.

I used ABRP to plan a 900-mile journey in August, and it was pretty reasonable in all its recommendations. (Mine is an SR.) These recommendations sound way out for a Trophy range. If you really had the right car in there, I have no idea what it was thinking of.

I have a friend who lives 186 miles away from me, and I tried that journey in ABRP. The first thing it did was find me a couple of short-cuts which cut the journey to 186 miles from my previous estimate of 195 miles, so I'll be doing that. It then suggested that if I was prepared to keep my speed down to 65 mph I could do it in one charge. The chances of me keeping my speed down to 65 mph on the M74/M6 are zero, and in any case I don't want to arrive at my friend's house empty, because the destination chargers beside her house have a 4-hour time limit on them. It next suggested a single stop after 131 miles at a charger where I did actually stop last time I visited, and of course it would be up to me how long I waited there to arrive with whatever SoC I wanted.

It will be interesting to see whether this recommendation changes with the weather, as I actually intend to do the journey on about 18th or 19th December. But so far, the suggestions have been generally reasonable.

Since you it doesn't have the actual data (as you mentioned that you did not connect to OBD), ABRP will do the conservative option, which I think it's saver .. imagine ABRP saying that you can do a trip without the need to charge but in reality you need to charge and you were not plan for it ?

Since you it doesn't have the actual data (as you mentioned that you did not connect to OBD), ABRP will do the conservative option, which I think it's saver .. imagine ABRP saying that you can do a trip without the need to charge but in reality you need to charge and you were not plan for it ?
Well yeah, but this is more than conservative.

Well yeah, but this is more than conservative.
maybe for you .. but maybe for some other drivers that is more agressive ?

in anyway, you can manually fine-tuned this by changing the "reference consumption" value .. but you will need to do this every now and then (as the weather change) ..

I prefer to just invest on an OBD dongle and have it collect the information so that it's ready with the correct value when you need it ..

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back