Absence of MG comment means I’ve cancelled

Shimi6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I’m posting to say I have today cancelled my MG4 order in the hope this helps others who have ordered, such that MG UK take note and DO SOMETHING.

I have a Mercedes GLC. It went in for a routine service during COVID. The dealership rang to say they had found an oil leak and we’re keeping the car. They arranged a courtesy car to be delivered to my home. They then flew in the spare parts from Germany, fixed my vehicle and returned it to my home ten days later. I did not even have to pay the normal £15 per day courtesy car fee. That’s the only fault I have had in three years of ownership.

My next door neighbour has, incredibly, an MG5, ZS and, a couple off weeks ago, a 4. And yes. We looked under his 4 and it leaks and has the bulge.

So, I do not want to put myself into a position of owning a vehicle that is not yet proven as fit for purpose but the ultimate deal killer is the silence from MG UK. They give me no confidence so I’m out. Good luck chaps.

Sorry to hear that. I am still confident that we’ll get an update from MG this week, shame you couldn’t wait a bit longer.

I don’t think a few cancellations will change their approach as given the pricing, it will sell like hot cakes.

Great that you got fantastic service from your Mercedes dealer. Maybe paying the large premium for Mercedes products is the best option for you? Some people like to pay for great service and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Fair comment. I am of an age where I can no longer be doing with faffing about as I have four kids to faff about for too and yes, I will therefore pay a premium to have one less thing to deal with. I do think the oil 'leak' is a trivial thing that is solvable, as is the under-tray. As I mentioned, it's the absence of any public comment or acknowledgement from MG that I find unacceptable.

Fair comment. I am of an age where I can no longer be doing with faffing about as I have four kids to faff about for too and yes, I will therefore pay a premium to have one less thing to deal with. I do think the oil 'leak' is a trivial thing that is solvable, as is the under-tray. As I mentioned, it's the absence of any public comment or acknowledgement from MG that I find unacceptable.
The comment from one of the dealers on here last week stated that MG were aware, investigating and the expected timeline for an update was 2-4 days. If I recall correctly it’s only day 4 now, so the update should really be imminent.

I would prefer they take their time and resolve this properly rather than rush it to keep the internet happy, albeit I understand it’s frustrating not to hear anything…

I’m posting to say I have today cancelled my MG4 order in the hope this helps others who have ordered, such that MG UK take note and DO SOMETHING.

I have a Mercedes GLC. It went in for a routine service during COVID. The dealership rang to say they had found an oil leak and we’re keeping the car. They arranged a courtesy car to be delivered to my home. They then flew in the spare parts from Germany, fixed my vehicle and returned it to my home ten days later. I did not even have to pay the normal £15 per day courtesy car fee. That’s the only fault I have had in three years of ownership.

My next door neighbour has, incredibly, an MG5, ZS and, a couple off weeks ago, a 4. And yes. We looked under his 4 and it leaks and has the bulge.

So, I do not want to put myself into a position of owning a vehicle that is not yet proven as fit for purpose but the ultimate deal killer is the silence from MG UK. They give me no confidence so I’m out. Good luck chaps.
Post in thread 'MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak'
“I have had an email from MG to say they have identified the fix and will be communicating it to the dealer network tomorrow.”

MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Maybe time for you to go back to the Mercedes Forum then now that you have no interest in MG's ?

I completely understand where you're coming from. Many years ago I was the head of technical support for Europe's largest independent computer sales and services company. I campaigned with some success for the then largest suppliers to be open about problems because the absence of information was detrimental to their brands perception by their customers. I know for a fact that giving the message that there is a problem and it is being taken seriously and will be resolved, works. Customers will accept that there is a problem no matter how much inconvenience is involved as long as they have the confidence it will be resolved.

Last edited:
I don’t think there will be a shortage of buyers for your cancelled order. I understand Mercedes don’t offer a 7 year warranty?

Neither do MG in reality if you look at the list of exclusions and things that are covered for shorter periods. It isn't a patch on the Kia warranty.

In reality it is 3 years for much of the mechanical stuff, the paintwork and the infotainment/driver aids.

Customers will accept that there is a problem no matter how much inconvenience is involved as long as they have the confidence it will be resolved.
So true. I think most 'reasonable people' can accept that sh$t happens, its how it's dealt with that matters.

This is a brand new product, look back at ANY new products that hit the market there are teething issues and depending on the Manufacturers willingness to fix issues rapidly limiting damaging publicity which will dictate future sales.
Despite all the repeat of the same issues making them appear to be drastic, I will take my order provided it arrives by Jan 23 and check the car for these issues, plus any other that appear .

One of my colleagues ordered a Q4 e tron paying 14k more for a car with less range, and absolutely no idea if / when he will get it, the dealer cannot even confirm he has an order for it, so anyone wanting an EV can expect to wait a min of 12 months. I will take a few what in reality are minor irritants ( unless they develop ).

Neither do MG in reality if you look at the list of exclusions and things that are covered for shorter periods. It isn't a patch on the Kia warranty.

In reality it is 3 years for much of the mechanical stuff, the paintwork and the infotainment/driver aids.
After looking at the link you can not expect the list of part to be covered for 7 years as they are mostly ware and tear parts of the car.

After looking at the link you can not expect the list of part to be covered for 7 years as they are mostly ware and tear parts of the car.

Some is, definitely (and they are generally covered for 12 months which is good), but , infotainment, suspension components, ball joints, track rod ends, wheel bearings, drive belts, paintwork? Surely you would expect them to be covered by a comprehensive warranty?

Some is, definitely (and they are generally covered for 12 months which is good), but , infotainment, suspension components, ball joints, track rod ends, wheel bearings, drive belts, paintwork? Surely you would expect them to be covered by a comprehensive warranty?
Suspension ball joints wheel bearings rod ends all 3 years / 45000 miles drive belts 3 years / 50000 miles this is good cover for parts even for belts for working parts. Paint work cover for 60 months is good considering it will get chipped over that time But you need to keep on top of these. Infotainment unit has no working parts like above should Be 7 years.

So what is left then that actually is covered for 7 years. Presumably the electric motor. Not the clutch!! Does this mean not the reduction gears? Would have expected all transmission parts to be fully covered. Might need it judging by the oil leak comments. In reality this is a 3 year warranty!

If you think MG are stingy with their warranties you should check out the BYD Atto 3 warranty and probably other BYD upcoming vehicles.
They are also a Chinese manufactured vehicle but their warranties seem to vary from country to country. For example New Zealand gets a better warranty than Australia for the Atto 3.

No one covers paintwork beyond 3 years, (including Kia) except oddly, Tesla, who include it in their 4 year general warranty, but they'll often try to wiggle out of it unless you're assertive!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back