AC Charging changed after update

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
SO i had the car in for a towbar retrofit, and asked them to put their computer on, and press "update all" :)

Before, AC Charging was like this :

Unlock the car, put the charge cable into the plug in the car, lock the car and charging started.

Unlock car = Car keeps charging

Want to stop it before it stops because it reached the charge limit set = Have to go to the screen and press the "Stop charging" button on screen.

Now AC Charging is like this

Unlock the car, put the cable into the plug in the car, lock the car and the charging starts.

Unlock the car = Charger stops charging, and the cable lock is released.

If i unlock and do not remove the cable, 1 minute later, the car will resume the charging.

This new method is a lot better, as i can now just unlock and unplug, and if i do not, the car will resume charging, with the doors unlocked. This happens regardless of me entering the car or not. If i do not, it will offcourse lock the doors after a while.

I expect everyone else to also see this change when your car is updated in the future.

Only thing i hope is, that it does not do this when DC Charging, as this will stop the DC Charge, possibly needing to start the payment and charge procedure all over again.

Oh well, tomorrow i will do a 270 miles roundtrip on the motorway, so will have to splash and dash at a CCS charger, when i want to finish i will unlock the car and see what it does. I suspect it will continue charging though :)

This is a 2022 Long Range, so Gen 2

Oh and i can add, that i did a fast charge at a CCS charger today, and when DC charging, the car will NOT stop the charge when unlocking, so this change only applies to AC charge, possibly even only at a home charger, as it would also be bad, if it stopped at paid destination chargers, if the car was unlocked.

Only thing i can say for sure is..

It does it on my single phase 16A charger.
It did not do it on a 150 KWh CCS charger.

This is a 2022 Long Range, so Gen 2

Oh and i can add, that i did a fast charge at a CCS charger today, and when DC charging, the car will NOT stop the charge when unlocking, so this change only applies to AC charge, possibly even only at a home charger, as it would also be bad, if it stopped at paid destination chargers, if the car was unlocked.

Only thing i can say for sure is..

It does it on my single phase 16A charger.
It did not do it on a 150 KWh CCS charger.
Sounds like it been programmed back to the original Gen 1 for charging on AC, much simpler IMO.

Sounds like it been programmed back to the original Gen 1 for charging on AC, much simpler IMO.
If this is the way they do it on the 1. gen, yes, then it seems they found out that this method is a better solution.

It seems that even if i unlock the car and the charging stops, if i do not unplug it, it will start charging after 1 minute, even if i do not relock the car.

Certainly makes it a LOT easier to get the off of the charger, and the only "downside" is, you lose 1 minute of charging.

Today i had the car on the charger at 16A (In reality the charger only draws 14A, and the house, when empty does not use more than 500 watts, so well within the 16A the solar inverter i have, can supply)

Very easy, when i came home from work (Took the second car...Petrol to work today, to let the car charge up, "for free" in the solar panels, as i did a longer trip monday, and need to do a similar trip thursday) i just unlocked the car, took the plug out, lowered the charger to 13A, reconnected the plug, and locked the car.

Before i would have had to unlock, get in, power car on fully, wait until screen booted, selected the battery screen, and pressed the stop charging button, get out, take the connector out of the car, change the charge amps, and then stick the connector into the socket and lock.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom