AC charging.

woody87

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all.

Has any of you seen this before? I have a had a search on the forum and nothing has come up.

So my problem is when I’m using a AC charger I am only getting around 3.2kW - 3.5kW charging speeds even though I’m using a 7kW or a 22kW. I am always getting the same speed. I have never had it at 7kW as it has been stated.

The cable I’m using is a Mennekes 3 phase type 2 cable. (I know it doesn’t support 3 phase but I was given the cable from the dealer) .

Anyone have this happen to them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The cable I’m using is a Mennekes 3 phase type 2 cable.
It's probably an 11kW cable, i.e. 3 phases at 16A (3.6 kW) per phase. Your car is presumably single phase, so the car limits the charge to 3.6kW to prevent overloading the cable and causing a fire hazard.

Sell that cable to someone that has an 11kW car, "charger", and electricity supply, and get yourself a 32A cable. Either single or 3 phase, but a 32A 3 phase cable will be expensive and heavy to use.
The cable I’m using is a Mennekes 3 phase type 2 cable.
It's probably an 11kW cable, i.e. 3 phases at 16A (3.6 kW) per phase. Your car is presumably single phase, so the car limits the charge to 3.6kW to prevent overloading the cable and causing a fire hazard.

Sell that cable to someone that has an 11kW car, "charger", and electricity supply, and get yourself a 32A cable. Either single or 3 phase, but a 32A 3 phase cable will be expensive and heavy to use.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the reply. So I had a closer look at the cable and it says 20A 240V. There was no pins in L2 or L3.

Upvote 0
Yeah sorry i was talking about the cable.

The told me it was a 3 phase as well 🙄.

Anyway I’ll need to have a look for 32A cable.

Will a 32A single phase cable be enough or does it need to be 32A 3 phase ?

Upvote 0
Single phase 32A will only ever get you 7.2-7.6kW, for a three phase charger (11kW-22kW) you'll need 32A three phase cable. However the MG4 maxes out at 11kW and you can only get that if you have a Trophy or above. One thing to bear in mind is the three phase cables are a lot bulkier so you may not want to store one in the car.

Upvote 0
Single phase 32A will only ever get you 7.2-7.6kW, for a three phase charger (11kW-22kW) you'll need 32A three phase cable. However the MG4 maxes out at 11kW and you can only get that if you have a Trophy or above. One thing to bear in mind is the three phase cables are a lot bulkier so you may not want to store one in the car.
I think the UK ZS uplift is only single phase.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies/help guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah so I have the uk 2023 ZS SELR and yes there is no pins/ connection in L2 and L3 of the connector on the car.

So my option is to get a single phase 32A but also should I get the 32A 3phase cable. Because I think I’ll be changing to the MG4 when my finance is up if they don’t supply a cable with the car.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom