A/C how to Q? [ Question ]

TBay

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
If I turn on the heater/ A/C I get the full screen showing all the options which is good. However it just stays there, if I want to go back I have to press the Home button and then find the apple car play button if I am using my work sat nav (which I often do).

My question is this- is there a way just to go back to the screen you just left? Or to set it so the heater screen only comes on if you press the heater button (heater controls presently on right star button as well) or come on for a few seconds then go back to the previous screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I invoke A/C from any screen, it overlays the current "windows" and it retracts as a curtain when pressing the "up triangle" at the middle top of the A/C Screen

My advice is to just set it to what suits you and leave it alone (I've done this with a BMW Z4 2004 & Tiguan 2008 & MG4 more recently - but do need to add 3degs to the MG4 for comfort) , from all never had an issue (e.g. retopping up etc), if you do switch it off for a month or so, then you get a "wet dog smell" - still have them all.

My advice is to just set it to what suits you and leave it alone (I've done this with a BMW Z4 2004 & Tiguan 2008 & MG4 more recently - but do need to add 3degs to the MG4 for comfort) , from all never had an issue (e.g. retopping up etc), if you do switch it off for a month or so, then you get a "wet dog smell" - still have them all.
What suits at 7am when I set off doesn’t suit at 11am. Also being in England the weather frequently changes. I do a lot of miles on small roads for my job so need it to work if I can. Just setting at one level just doesn’t work.

Why not? (Genuine question). I have mine set to 24°C (was 25°C - I've recently reduced it) and fan speed 3, recirc off and AC on. I leave it at this whatever the weather and whatever the time of day and it seems to work just fine.

In really cold weather, where the car may be frozen, I'll use the remote preheat function from the app with the temperature set to HI, and use it once or twice as needed. (Twice is the maximum in any session).

The simple solution is to set your heating up (then leave it alone) before you connect to carplay

Why not? (Genuine question). I have mine set to 24°C (was 25°C - I've recently reduced it) and fan speed 3, recirc off and AC on. I leave it at this whatever the weather and whatever the time of day and it seems to work just fine.

In really cold weather, where the car may be frozen, I'll use the remote preheat function from the app with the temperature set to HI, and use it once or twice as needed. (Twice is the maximum in any session).
For example, I like to be warmer early on a cold morning when I am driving and just sat there. After a site visit I am usually warmer after some exercise so want to cool down but then may want the heat higher after an hours driving or so and have cooled down. Or I might have damp clothing if it’s raining on site so I need to clear the windscreen with a higher fan setting.

Amazed that the response to something that would be simple on any other car I have ever owned or driven is just ‘well leave it on one setting’.

Amazed that the response to something that would be simple on any other car I have ever owned or driven is just ‘well leave it on one setting’.
That's why it's called "Automatic" climate control. There's no need to faff about with different settings. You set the temperature to what you want and select "Auto" don't turn the AC off or touch any of the other buttons and it adjusts itself to cater for humidity etc.
If you need to be warmer first thing or clear the screen when you get in with damp clothing, use the front demister button below the screen to boost the heat and fan until it's warm enough for you, or the screen is clear, then turn the demister off and the system reverts back to your original settings.
Edit: you can also use the voice commands if you must change the temperature, Hey MG I'm cold or Hey MG I'm hot etc.

I my Trophy the RH star button controls the AC. With Android Auto pressing the button brings up the AC control for a short while but then disappears but I can adjust temp and speed. I then press the button again to revert the toggle control to the sound system.

That's why it's called "Automatic" climate control. There's no need to faff about with different settings. You set the temperature to what you want and select "Auto" don't turn the AC off or touch any of the other buttons and it adjusts itself to cater for humidity etc.
If you need to be warmer first thing or clear the screen when you get in with damp clothing, use the front demister button below the screen to boost the heat and fan until it's warm enough for you, or the screen is clear, then turn the demister off and the system reverts back to your original settings.
Edit: you can also use the voice commands if you must change the temperature, Hey MG I'm cold or Hey MG I'm hot etc.
No, it’s called ‘automatic’ because it works to a temp not a setting, it does not mean it is able to change based on the requirements of the driver without input. Manual heating/ AC keeps kicking out at the same temp irrespective of the cabin temperature. That is the only difference.

I my Trophy the RH star button controls the AC. With Android Auto pressing the button brings up the AC control for a short while but then disappears but I can adjust temp and speed. I then press the button again to revert the toggle control to the sound system.
This is how mine is set up except it’s apple play. However once the ac screen is on it doesn’t go away without input from me. This makes me think the issue may be with the operation of apple play perhaps……..

No, it’s called ‘automatic’ because it works to a temp not a setting, it does not mean it is able to change based on the requirements of the driver without input. Manual heating/ AC keeps kicking out at the same temp irrespective of the cabin temperature. That is the only difference.
It adjusts the fan, the air intake (recirc) and the AC as required, not just the temperature. AC kicks in and out as well.
I didn't say it was able to change based on the requirements of the driver who can't make his mind up, it doesn't read minds. :LOL:
As I pointed out, there are easier ways to adjust it instead of using the CC screen, you have physical buttons.

It adjusts the fan, the air intake (recirc) and the AC as required, not just the temperature. AC kicks in and out as well.
I didn't say it was able to change based on the requirements of the driver who can't make his mind up, it doesn't read minds. :LOL:
As I pointed out, there are easier ways to adjust it instead of using the CC screen, you have physical buttons.
Those same physical buttons that then leave the screen on that was the problem in the original post……….

So in your world you have to choose a temperature and be happy with that forever. Thats not my world, so your posts are utterly pointless and irrelevant. You seem determined that the only way is to just accept a poor system, that’s fine for you, but why bother piping that rubbish up when people are after solutions not your opinion? I really do not care what you do in your car so please save your time, and more importantly mine, and don’t bother putting further pointless replies up if they are just your opinion.

Tried again today using my wife android phone and it works fine with the up arrow, so issue is definitely with the apple play side of things. Not really sure there is a way forward……..

Those same physical buttons that then leave the screen on that was the problem in the original post……….

So in your world you have to choose a temperature and be happy with that forever. Thats not my world, so your posts are utterly pointless and irrelevant. You seem determined that the only way is to just accept a poor system, that’s fine for you, but why bother piping that rubbish up when people are after solutions not your opinion? I really do not care what you do in your car so please save your time, and more importantly mine, and don’t bother putting further pointless replies up if they are just your opinion.
Rude and unnecessary.

Rude and unnecessary.
I replied to previous posts with courtesy and just got condescending replies. The poster cannot seem to understand that his circumstances are not mine, nor did he offer any useful advice. So why bother posting? Hence my response, if anything was unnecessary it was the previous responses from that person that offered nothing to the issue at hand.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back