ACC heavy braking on version R30

Bridub

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

Has anyone with R33 on their car noticed any difference in ACC behaviour compared to R30.

I find what when using ACC, even with regen set to 1 or to adaptive the car will come up behind a car to the set distance but brake (or use motor braking most likely) until it falls back, then speed up to get back to the set distance and do this again and again. Its quite jarring and noticeable. My old Leon used to be very gentle with the acceleration and braking when following a car using the ACC.

Has this behaviour changed in R33? If so I'll be into my dealer next week to get it updated!

My SE SR can be like that, especially when using Eco drive mode (which adds significant lag to the power delivery). Sport mode seems to improve ACC response.

Hmmm that’s a bit of a pain, it’s probably the most annoying thing about the car, that and not remembering drive mode settings.

I’ve tried on level 1 regen, might try in sport mode next motorway journey but that sort of defeats the purpose of using eco mode for a long trip!

Wonder will it ever get sorted…I won’t hold my breath

When I had a Peugeot e208 as a courtesy car I noticed that it had a switch that allowed the mode to be changed sport-normal-eco while you were driving.

On the other hand I barely ever switched my Golf to Sport, because it drank petrol like a dipsomaniac in a distillery if I did that.

I’ve tried on level 1 regen, might try in sport mode next motorway journey but that sort of defeats the purpose of using eco mode for a long trip!
But all eco mode does is drastically dull the accelerator response, it isn't actually 'eco'. It does disable the A/C cooling and heating too, if linked, but if you want to simulate the heater on a 1965 Austin Mini, you can always disable the AC and heating with the physical switch.

Hi All,

Has anyone with R33 on their car noticed any difference in ACC behaviour compared to R30.

I find what when using ACC, even with regen set to 1 or to adaptive the car will come up behind a car to the set distance but brake (or use motor braking most likely) until it falls back, then speed up to get back to the set distance and do this again and again. Its quite jarring and noticeable. My old Leon used to be very gentle with the acceleration and braking when following a car using the ACC.

Has this behaviour changed in R33? If so I'll be into my dealer next week to get it updated!
Yep it’s one of my annoyances too, I’ll be miles from the car in front and if it slows down even slightly my mg4 will deaccelerate harshly. My golf ACC by comparison is 10 years old technology but perfect.

I find what when using ACC, even with regen set to 1 or to adaptive the car will come up behind a car to the set distance but brake (or use motor braking most likely) until it falls back, then speed up to get back to the set distance and do this again and again.
My Trophy does not do this. I drive in Normal mode, and with ACC, I tend to set the following distance to minimum. Perhaps maximum following distance would be worse?

I note the comment from @Tight Git that the Rxx number is irrelevant to ACC - anybody know how to find what version of ACC we've got?

I use the lowest following distance as well, unless it’s wet. I’ll try normal and sport mode tomorrow on a short motorway drive and see if it’s different

I note the comment from @Tight Git that the Rxx number is irrelevant to ACC - anybody know how to find what version of ACC we've got?
TightGit is right. The Rxx number only refers to the infotainment software and not to any of the other modules. There is no way from finding out which other software versions are installed, only an approved garage can see them

might mention it to the garage when I have it in for a software update...although I wont hold my breath for an answer

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back