Ferretusmaximus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the Adaptive facility of the Cruise Control?
Why would I want to do that you may ask.
Well, living in rural Wales we now have a 20mph speed limit around town and speaking to a delivery driver he just uses his cruise control to keep within the speed limit. Tried it this morning and nearly collected the car following me as the ACC got itself confused with lots of parked cars and oncoming traffic and applied a lot of brakes. I just need 20 mph cruise control without the adaptive for town, but the full ACC is good for the faster roads.

Yes, the speed limit mode is what you need. It won't react to parked cars like the ACC can do, and you can drive normally under the set limit.

I have been using the speed limit a fair bit recently. I find coming from an ICE car that in the MG it is extremely easy to find yourself exceeding speed limits, because it is so much quieter and a small nudge on the throttle will easily add 5-10mph before you know it. Takes a little getting used to - when activating it, it will round up your current speed to the nearest multiple of 5mph. So if you activate it just before you have slowed for the speed limit zone, you'll have to nudge it down by 5mph on the joystick. If you're already under the limit, it'll set where you want (provided you are within -5mph anyway). And it only seems to be settable in steps of 5mph, but as the Speedo in the car seems very accurate, this is ok. A quick glance at the number when activating is sufficient to check.

Just wish it was easier to select and switch between the Limit/ACC modes.

You definitely do NOT want Cruise control in a 20mph zone.
The whole purpose is slowing people down, so 20 isn't a target, but a hint that maybe even less than 20mph would be better.
I understand though if you are on a road where you literally want to keep 20mph for a long period because it is essentially a completely arbitrary limit, you might need cruise control. But such conditions exclude areas with parked cars, pedestrians, cyclists, prams, zebra crossings, traffic lights... in which case ACC is better than simply CC.

Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Speed Limit mode looks like a better solution as long as "Depress the accelerator pedal hard to exceed the speed limit temporarily" function works - on more than one occasion accelerating hard has avoided an accident where maintaining the same speed would have been disadvantageous....🫣

Pressing the accelerator hard does work. Speed limit mode is useful except in intelligent mode the traffic sign recognition can pick up speed limits on side roads or fail to pick up speed limit signs if they are partially obscured.

My previous car had the ability to disable the A part of ACC I found it useful when the ACC sensors could not cope due to low sunlight or other issues or as the original poster has suggested where you have a long stretch of road with a 20/30/40mph limit and bends in the road with parked cars along them (there are a couple in my area).

In my previous car you held down the ACC distance adjustment button for 5 seconds and it became dumb CC

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back