Accessing the Charging port

joninariedel

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello! I am having trouble opening the charging port on my MG ZS EV. The front grill is broken, after and accident on an icy road during winter (in Iceland, still waiting on repair), BUT this hasn’t been a problem since. I’ve pressed the MG logo both gently and firmly, making sure the car is unlocked and believe I’ve tried it in any possible direction. Can I access any way to open the charging port through the bonnet?
Grateful for any tips and tricks 😊

I suspect from your description, you have the original ZS EV with the large black lift up door with the MG chrome badge ?.
You live in Iceland, but it unlikely that you would posted if it was just frozen shut.
The pop up grill has an electrical locking actuator motor / plunger located at the middle section of the grill.
Has this spring loaded plunger jammed or failed ?.
It can be seen in the middle of the picture I have posted below.
There IS a manual emergency release pull wire under the bonnet, but this is only a manual release for when the charging cable does not release, you can give this a try ????.
There are some Gen 1 grills / pop up doors available on Ebay if you are struggling to locate one ?.

MG ZS EV charge port open.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply! Yes I have the original one and from the looks of it this grill would fit my car. We had an incident where we bumped into a trailer hitch on a car in front of us, which broke the plastic below the logo. Opening the port hasn’t been a problem since, so quite possible that the spring has failed or jammed, thankfully the repair shop for MG in Iceland will be open tomorrow 👏 the only problem is that I would have to charge it to get it there 😅

Yes I read the manual about the emergency release wire, might try it, but reluctant to do so in the pouring rain.

Any information I’ve found about the charging port have been that it is just super easy and accessible, apart from the chance of it being frozen shut. Thankful for your reply!

I will also press on the repairs for a new grill first thing tomorrow, we will see how this goes!

Attachments

• IMG_7419.jpeg
    IMG_7419.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom