Accidentally found the self driving feature

pollenface

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We have the FY22 ZS EV Essence

I don't recall reading about it in the manual, nor can i bring up any info about it on the net but a couple of times my wife has accidentally put it into a kind of semi-autonomous driving mode.

The lines on the screen turn green and it drives itself, but makes a chime when it senses no hands on the wheel.

She's not sure exactly what she did to activate it, something to do with the adaptive cruise control. The lane keep assist was turned off at the time, but it kept itself perfectly centred on the road.

Is any one else familiar with this? We're still learning how to use this car.

The lane keep assist was turned off at the time, but it kept itself perfectly centred on the road.
Ahem. I think 'perfectly centered in the road' is very charitable reading of what the LFS does on this car.

LKA - drunken random 'assistant'/nudger into the oncoming traffic

LFS - Continuous mode of steering at the last minute whilst lifting off the throttle at the slightest turn.

Ahem. I think 'perfectly centered in the road' is very charitable reading of what the LFS does on this car.

LFS - Continuous mode of steering at the last minute whilst lifting off the throttle at the slightest turn.

Never had much of an issue with it in mine on a motorway. I'm not going to say it's perfect but it's not as you describe. LKA is annoying though.

That said I don't doubt it would be useless on any other sort of road. But then why would you be using it there?

The thing that makes it a little pointless anywhere is the lack of regen so it totally kills your efficiency.

I can see from previous posting history you've got a bit of an agenda to make everyone aware of just how rubbish your car is. That being the case I'd of focused on the regen thing over your other points.

Try using it on single lane 60 mph road and you will I travel around Lincolnshire and gave up on it for most part. It can go from 60 to 30 on a bends I can do with no concern at 50.

It works great on dual carriage roads though that are much longer and more straight

I use MG Pilot all the time without any issues. It's not autonomous driving so I don't expect it to do everything for me. I use it regularly on the 3 mile trip into town, which is pretty much a straight road, on country B roads, and on motorways. I get the occasional resistance on the wheel, which I compensate for because I'm driving, and when it slows down on a bend, if it's too much, I accelerate, because it's me driving, not the car. :)

Never had much of an issue with it in mine on a motorway. I'm not going to say it's perfect but it's not as you describe. LKA is annoying though.

That said I don't doubt it would be useless on any other sort of road. But then why would you be using it there?

The thing that makes it a little pointless anywhere is the lack of regen so it totally kills your efficiency.

I can see from previous posting history you've got a bit of an agenda to make everyone aware of just how rubbish your car is. That being the case I'd of focused on the regen thing over your other points.
An agenda suggests I have something to gain or offer from being like this about the car...sadly I'm not being paid to do this. I have to pay to drive this thing. 😢

An agenda suggests I have something to gain or offer from being like this about the car...sadly I'm not being paid to do this. I have to pay to drive this thing. 😢

Might do you some good not dwell on it by endlessly posting about it on a random forum then.

I can't say I'm particularly taken with some of the things on mine either, but posting about it isn't really going to change anything and making things seem worse than they are definitely won't.

Last edited:
I use MG Pilot all the time without any issues. It's not autonomous driving so I don't expect it to do everything for me. I use it regularly on the 3 mile trip into town, which is pretty much a straight road, on country B roads, and on motorways. I get the occasional resistance on the wheel, which I compensate for because I'm driving, and when it slows down on a bend, if it's too much, I accelerate, because it's me driving, not the car. :)
If it slows down on bends which I would consider viable to go round at the original speed, I would consider that very annoying. Driver behind may wonder what's going on. You might even fail a driving test. I wonder if mild acceleration would affect consumption too. Interesting - not something I plan to use.

Might do you some good not dwell on it by endlessly posting about it on a random forum then.

I can't say I'm particularly taken with some of the things on mine either, but posting about it isn't really going to change anything and making things seem worse than they are definitely won't.
I'll try to stick to only positive from now on. Appreciate the advice.

I drive my MG zs ev using MG pilot almost every day and It works very well on highways. This is probably the feature i like the most of my MG

I drive my MG zs ev using MG pilot almost every day and It works very well on highways. This is probably the feature i like the most of my MG
I think I need to move to Chile, if it seems to work well there...

I was playing with the feature at 105 on the freeway and I found that whilst the vehicle will self steer it bounces from line to line and after a short while complains that your not holding the steering wheel.

I do love the cruise control / pilot functionality set a speed and travel at that speed unless there is a slow car in front and the car automagically slows down and speeds up, it's great in traffic.

I do wonder though when the vehicle is slowing down by itself, does it use the break light to warn the people behind.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom