Achieved 6.2mpk today!

Newbie, what’s HVAC? thanks
HVAC - Heating / Ventilation & Air Conditioning systems.
Using any of these systems WILL affect you predicted range a LOT !.
Just try this !.
Boot up your car with the HVAC completely turned OFF !.
Then, obverse your predicted mileage range on the GOM.
Now, turn on the HVAC and increase the demand for heat on the dial.
As you increase the call for HEAT, watch the estimated range on the GOM reduce quickly.
If you demand more heat or increase the demand for cooling down the cabin space of the car, it has a similar affect / reduction on your predicted milage range of the car.
The heater element that supply's heat to the cabin of the car, works a little like an electric fire in your house.
When in use in your car, the heater element is drawing power directly from the HV battery pack.
The heater blower motor is different, as it is pulling a feed from the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
The A/C cooling has a similar affect on the reported range of the car when used.
Using the ECO mode of the car, in order to save / protect your predicted range on the GOM, works by decreasing the demand for heat / cooling when in selected.
It is a similar situation on ICE car when wanting to run the A/C to keep the cabin space cool in hot weather conditions.
The cool air is supplied by an A/C compressor pump that is driven by a belt from the ICE.
Using this feature, will result on a "Drag" on the engine to drive that compressor, this then results in in lower MPG return figure by the car.
This drag / load can be clearly heard when switching on the A/C on a ICE car when the engine is just "ticking over".
When the A/C button is applied, the RPM of the engine will reduce signalling the heavy load / increased drag on the engine to power this compressor.
Providing heat to the cabin of an ICE car is a little different, because is uses excess hot water diverted from the engine, then through a heater radiator contained in the heater box in the cabin.
Heat is pushed though to the cabin, by blowing heat away from this radiator by means of a fan / blower motor.
This blower motor fan, is powered by the 12 Volt battery located under the bonnet.
In this respect, both EV's and ICE cars work in very similar ways.
It's the way that the heater is getting is source of heat is the big difference here.
This is a VERY basic way to explain the difference on how the two systems work.
Similar in some ways, but completely different forms in respect on how they receive their power input to produce that cabin heat.
The excess heat provided via engine / cooling system that heats the inside cabin space of an ICE car, COULD be seen in someway's as "free heat " in some respects ???.
But in an EV the heater system is totally dormant until the demand for heat is required.
Then, it is demanding a LOT of energy from the HV battery to provide power to heat the element inside of the cabin heater unit.
Long story short, the more heat / cooling you demand in the cabin of your EV, the more range you are going to loose in your EV.
Do I worry about it ?.
Hell no !.
If I am cold, I use the heater.
If I am hot, I use the A/C.
Bugger the range !.

What @Lovemyev said is correct but it should also be noted that when using the heater in winter I had it on initially but once up to temperature was able to turn heating right down to maintain the temperature. Once the 'demand' for heat was lowered then the range on the GOM increased again.
A steady 1 or 2 blobs max on the scale for heat (depending on outside temp) was quite sufficient and didn't affect range too badly at all.
Now as to A/C, not had the need for that yet as only got the car last November so cannot really advise but would imagine that it would work similarly, initial surge to cool and then turn down to maintain.

HVAC - Heating / Ventilation & Air Conditioning systems.
Using any of these systems WILL affect you predicted range a LOT !.
Just try this !.
Boot up your car with the HVAC completely turned OFF !.
Then, obverse your predicted mileage range on the GOM.
Now, turn on the HVAC and increase the demand for heat on the dial.
As you increase the call for HEAT, watch the estimated range on the GOM reduce quickly.
If you demand more heat or increase the demand for cooling down the cabin space of the car, it has a similar affect / reduction on your predicted milage range of the car.
The heater element that supply's heat to the cabin of the car, works a little like an electric fire in your house.
When in use in your car, the heater element is drawing power directly from the HV battery pack.
The heater blower motor is different, as it is pulling a feed from the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
The A/C cooling has a similar affect on the reported range of the car when used.
Using the ECO mode of the car, in order to save / protect your predicted range on the GOM, works by decreasing the demand for heat / cooling when in selected.
It is a similar situation on ICE car when wanting to run the A/C to keep the cabin space cool in hot weather conditions.
The cool air is supplied by an A/C compressor pump that is driven by a belt from the ICE.
Using this feature, will result on a "Drag" on the engine to drive that compressor, this then results in in lower MPG return figure by the car.
This drag / load can be clearly heard when switching on the A/C on a ICE car when the engine is just "ticking over".
When the A/C button is applied, the RPM of the engine will reduce signalling the heavy load / increased drag on the engine to power this compressor.
Providing heat to the cabin of an ICE car is a little different, because is uses excess hot water diverted from the engine, then through a heater radiator contained in the heater box in the cabin.
Heat is pushed though to the cabin, by blowing heat away from this radiator by means of a fan / blower motor.
This blower motor fan, is powered by the 12 Volt battery located under the bonnet.
In this respect, both EV's and ICE cars work in very similar ways.
It's the way that the heater is getting is source of heat is the big difference here.
This is a VERY basic way to explain the difference on how the two systems work.
Similar in some ways, but completely different forms in respect on how they receive their power input to produce that cabin heat.
The excess heat provided via engine / cooling system that heats the inside cabin space of an ICE car, COULD be seen in someway's as "free heat " in some respects ???.
But in an EV the heater system is totally dormant until the demand for heat is required.
Then, it is demanding a LOT of energy from the HV battery to provide power to heat the element inside of the cabin heater unit.
Long story short, the more heat / cooling you demand in the cabin of your EV, the more range you are going to loose in your EV.
Do I worry about it ?.
Hell no !.
Bugger the range !.
Hell no !.
Bugger the range !.
hahahaha thanks for that I’m only now realising how little I know and I have done shit loads of research before committing to my first EV obviously need to do SHIT loads more again thanks guys

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom