Acorn bombs

Tigger

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have a large oak tree in my front drive, and in the autumn, the acorns fall like bombs, potentially denting the roof of any car parked underneath. I have looked at the roof of my MG4 Trophy, and the black section appears to be an insert made of plastic, which is slightly flexible.

If so, the car might be ok come autumn - the acorns might bounce off without denting it. Does anybody know what the construction of the roof actually is? ❓

If so, the car might be ok come autumn - the acorns might bounce off without denting it. Does anybody know what the construction of the roof actually is? ❓
I have no idea but I know it's not glass, I'd take a guess at sheet steel, but it could possibly be plastic.

If you want to do some testing, I'd see if a magnet sticks to it.

Okay, I did the magnet test, as suggested by Mr Toad, and it sticks!

So steel it is. It's pretty thin - you can bend it with your fingers - so I will have to make sure I keep the car away from the acorns . . .
Get yourself a couple of pet squirrels. They'll strip the tree and bury their nuts all over your garden but at least the acorns won't land on the car it'll just be squirrel :poop:

There are always at least two squirrels squirrelling about in my garden from the neighbouring woods. They do eat some of the acorns, but not enough.

Mind you, a few years ago I was parking my car under a chestnut: that was hell, the conkers were horrific!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back