Active Grille Shutters

compass360

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

New to the forum and new owner of an MG4 and my first EV.
I had a question on the active front grille shutters. I noticed that the right one closes and opens but the left one stays open for some reason.
I took a picture of it. Could this be a fault or some obscure built in logic?

Regards,
BG.
AFD5CD29-725B-49C5-AF69-D8BDFDCBF5C5.jpeg

Only ever seen both open or closed on mine, would say fault.
Unless it's a SR in which case it's a bonus ;)

Yeah, I'd say fault as well. That's a lot of road salt, very low temps? You'd like to think that MG have tested everything down to the extreme temps but differential expansion and actuators can be a tricky combo to solve.

Picked our MG4 Trophy up on Thursday and noticed the righthand side is open and the left is shut

Picked our MG4 Trophy up on Thursday and noticed the righthand side is open and the left is shut
I didn't think they worked independently, might be worth getting it checked. The original posters looked pretty caked in salt, I would imagine yours were pretty clean, so not road grime causing it to stick

Yes, we’ve had a lot of snow and very low temps (down to -13 C - Iceland). I noticed it a couple of days ago.
Hence I thought also perhaps it’s stuck due to salt/ grime and perhaps ice. I’ll give it a wash as soon as the weather improves and see if it moves. If not I’ll book an appointment to have it checked.
Thank you for the replies.

Regards,
BG

Closed when cold and batteries are at low temperature
Open when battery temp is above a preset parameter which is ?
I also have to assume they are motor driven and car has to be in a ready/drive state to enable the motor to activate to open or close the shutters. Don't know if they are mechanically linked or individually driven.

They are meant to air cool the battery and may only activate when the car is in motion so it maybe when parked they should close on shut down but 🤷‍♂️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back